An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen cleaned up their liturgies, huh?

brendan1104

[quote name='geetarplayer' date='Feb 20 2006, 10:11 AM']It seems that we've been lamenting about the horrors of the idea of a Mass outside of a church, but I still don't know why it's such a horror.  Could someone please reference where specifically in the GIRM it says that you can not have Mass outside?  Thank you.  :)

-Mark
[right][snapback]892632[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Our military personal would be up a creek if you couldn't have mass outside. :)

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:21 AM']Ah, the joy of following the letter of the law and not the letter AND the spirit.
[right][snapback]892644[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I wasn't a participant either...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:25 AM']Our military personal would be up a creek if you couldn't have mass outside. :)
[right][snapback]892650[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My chaplain friend in Iraq has an indoor church. :idontknow:

What is wrong with expressing your love and worship for God through modern music? Just because Motzart didnt have an electric guitar doesnt make the instrument and its use in the Church evil. The apostles didnt have pipe organs!

I have played the electric guitar during mass before and I have only gotten complements of the additional depth the music adds to the mass.

However, I think that there needs to be a specific reverance given when playing such an instrument during mass. I understand the concerns that if approprate songs are not chosen it could sound like a rock concert.

In my experance I would play both modern and traditional songs. For instance we have played non-denominational songs during the procession such as Awesome God or "Hands and Feet - by Audio Adrenaline. However during the mass it was all Catholic songs like Ave Maria, and my favorite guitar redition of Immaculate Mary!

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 20 2006, 10:26 AM']My chaplain friend in Iraq has an indoor church. :idontknow:
[right][snapback]892653[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Point being that this isn't always the case (and would be surprised if it is the norm). I've seen mass take place on the wing of an aircraft on a battleship. Saying mass is not restricted to a Catholic Church, especially given various circumstances. It is bothersome though if there is no reason it can't be said in a Church.

Desert Walker

If Lifeteen is not faithful to the customs of the Roman Catholic Church it's no fault of the youth! Whether you like to admit it or not, priests are the shepherds of Church. They alone have the ULTIMATE responsibilty of leading folks with whom they come in contact to Truth and the proper living of the Christian way.

The main problem I see in those pictures is the guy wearing the colorful stole. <_<

I agree....the teens are the last ones who should be blamed. Its the leadership of the Lifeteen groups that is running the program in ways that are not proper...at least in some circumstances.

[quote name='Church Punk' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:54 AM']I have played the electric guitar during mass before and I have only gotten complements of the additional depth the music adds to the mass.
[/quote]

What depth- banality, abuse, disregard of even Vatican II documents?

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:15 AM']What depth- banality, abuse, disregard of even Vatican II documents?
[right][snapback]892702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

120. In the Latin Church the pipe organ is to be held in high esteem, for it is the traditional musical instrument which adds a wonderful splendor to the Church's ceremonies and powerfully lifts up man's mind to God and to higher things.

But other instruments also may be admitted for use in divine worship, with the knowledge and consent of the competent territorial authority, as laid down in Art. 22, 52, 37, and 40. This may be done, however, only on condition that the instruments are suitable, or can be made suitable, for sacred use, accord with the dignity of the temple, and truly contribute to the edification of the faithful.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 12:25 PM']120. This may be done, however, only on condition that the instruments are suitable, or can be made suitable, for sacred use, accord with the dignity of the temple, and truly contribute to the edification of the faithful.
[right][snapback]892714[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think electric guitars fit those requirements.

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 10:35 AM']I don't think electric guitars fit those requirements.
[right][snapback]892726[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is an opinion, not fact.

[quote name='Azriel' date='Feb 20 2006, 12:48 PM']That is an opinion, not fact.
[right][snapback]892737[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Council Fathers probably didn't either.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:49 AM']The Council Fathers probably didn't either.
[right][snapback]892739[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree, they likely would not approve them, yet, it is up to the decision of the proper ecclesial authority to decide. I know that this is something that almost never dawns on a ultra-traditionalist, but the Church exists for more than to do whatever Brendan likes best in his own personal spirituality, but rather the Church seeks to evangelize and to seek the salvation of souls. The Church seeks not only what is most ascetically beautiful, but what is going to get people to heaven. The Church has a pastoral, as well as a priestly mission. The only people I have met who seem have more animosity against the Catholic Church than ultra-traditionalists are fundamentalists. I've never met a traditionalist who practices charity. I don't even know what one would look like.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:58 AM']I agree, they likely would not approve them, yet, it is up to the decision of the proper ecclesial authority to decide. I know that this is something that almost never dawns on a ultra-traditionalist, but the Church exists for more than to do whatever Brendan likes best in his own personal spirituality, but rather the Church seeks to evangelize and to seek the salvation of souls. The Church seeks not only what is most ascetically beautiful, but what is going to get people to heaven. The Church has a pastoral, as well as a priestly mission. The only people I have met who seem have more animosity against the Catholic Church than ultra-traditionalists are fundamentalists. I've never met a traditionalist who practices charity. I don't even know what one would look like.
[right][snapback]892749[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: