An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen cleaned up their liturgies, huh?

brendan1104

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 26 2006, 07:59 PM']look at old planning guides.  they definitely promoted skits during homilies because i have very good friends who were involved with LT 10 years ago and they have told about the skits they have done from that time. 

im not saying they do anymore, but they most certainly have in the past.
[right][snapback]898461[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Having a skit during the homily and having a skit "instead of the holmily is to different things. There is nothing wrong with a priest making their homily creative as long as they are still taking the time to preach and elaborate.

MercyMe, thank you for writing your post. It was very informative.

I guess the problem I have seen is the lack of focus on the Eucharist. The main focus (again, in my experience) is the "community" and friendships between the group. Newcomers feel very uneasy because of the extreme tightness of the people at LT. The life nights I attended were not Eucharist focused. They were social, with a small lesson hidden somewhere beneath the games and chit chat. It was disheartening.

I just keep going back to the fact that the exact same abuses are occurring in LT parishes all over the country, and this is not coincidence. Something has to be making these random LT groups misinterpret the program in the same way. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the same problems that keep showing up.

Amen Nicole! why do so many LT parishes have the same abuse problems? why do those with an abuse free, reverent LT experience seem to be the exception and not the rule. perhaps it is something in the fundamentals of the program itself. :idontknow:

and St. Bernard, show me in the GIRM where skits fall under the "Creative" authority of the homilist. It is a proscriptive document not a prohibitive one, so if its not there, that doesn't mean you can do it.

its all about the reverence due to the solemnity of the occassion. "skits" are not reverent. what's next, puppet shows? :rolleyes:

Edited by kateri05

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 27 2006, 04:10 PM']Amen Nicole!  why do so many LT parishes have the same abuse problems?  why do those with an abuse free, reverent LT experience seem to be the exception and not the rule.  perhaps it is something in the fundamentals of the program itself.   :idontknow:

and St. Bernard, show me in the GIRM where skits fall under the "Creative" authority of the homilist.  It is a proscriptive document not a prohibitive one, so if its not there, that doesn't mean you can do it.

its all about the reverence due to the solemnity of the occassion.  "skits" are not reverent.  what's next, puppet shows? :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]899293[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is very interesting because neither does the GIRM classify a homily as talking . So I guess a priest shouldn't talk during homily time either.It only says homily not speech. A homily (sermon) by definition is a discourse on a subject. One of the definitions of a discourse is a thought out extended expression on a subject. Wow that does allow for more than just a speech. And I would love if someone could show me solid proof of a church document saying we can't do skits inside a homily . Oh yeah if skits (dramas) are irreverent what does that say about passion plays. :rolleyes:

Edited by stbernardLT