An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sedevacantist argument

Dave

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:07 PM']Again: What's the website?
[right][snapback]892343[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[url="http://www.novusordowatch.org/benedict/sbce-trans.htm"]http://www.novusordowatch.org/benedict/sbce-trans.htm[/url]

No, i wouldnt say I'd trust this website at all. However, its the only place I could find that had the whole of the chapter in question.

Just as I thought.

It comes from a sedevacantist, anti-semitic website.

It goes without saying that any translation or commentary of NovusOrdoWatch is irrelevant. I'll say it plainly: they are trash.

The translation of the German title is "The Sacrament is the Foundation for Christian Existence". In a book about the Holy Eucharist as "the foundation for Christian existence", I'm supposed to take seriously someone who uses it to discredit the Holy Father's faith in the Eucharist?

And the book was not written by Cardinal Ratzinger, as Brendan said. It was written by Fr. Joseph Ratzinger.

For your own good, Brendan, stop reading Sedevacantist trash and spewing their nonsense around.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:15 PM']Just as I thought.

It goes without saying that any translation or commentary of NovusOrdoWatch is irrelevant. I'll say it plainly: they are trash.

The translation of the German title is "The Sacrament is the Foundation for Christian Existence". In a book about the Holy Eucharist as "the foundation for Christian existence", I'm supposed to take seriously someone who uses it to discredit the Holy Father's faith in the Eucharist?

And the book was not written by Cardinal Ratzinger, as Brendan said. It was written by Fr. Joseph Ratzinger.

For your own good, Brendan, stop reading Sedevacantist trash and spewing their nonsense around.
[right][snapback]892354[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Once again- I have the book... not from a website.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:16 PM']Once again- I have the book... not from a website.
[right][snapback]892357[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Who's the publisher? The editor? What year was it published?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:15 PM']Just as I thought.

[right][snapback]892354[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
However, as I have provided from the quote above, I see no problems with the translation as far as they are claiming, when you read it in context. Their translation is different than the one Brendan provided, and it is actually worded more clearly. I wish they would provide who this apparent native German speaker is who translated it for them. If he is not necesarily siding with them, then I would probably trust their translation.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:20 PM']However, as I have provided from the quote above, I see no problems with the translation as far as they are claiming, when you read it in context. Their translation is different than the one Brendan provided, and it is actually worded more clearly.  I wish they would provide who this apparent native German speaker is who translated it for them. If he is not necesarily siding with them, then I would probably trust their translation.
[right][snapback]892365[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't trust anything from NOW. I don't care who is doing the translating.

Edited by Era Might

Fidei Defensor

And just as a note: I am not advocating the view they are. I am defending the Holy Father using his own words. I dont believe that he meant what it appears to mean. If you look at the context, he wasnt saying that Jesus isnt present. He was saying that God is not confined to one place.

deleted

See: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=47984&view=findpost&p=892454"]HERE[/url]

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:22 PM']And just as a note: I am not advocating the view they are. I am defending the Holy Father using his own words. I dont believe that he meant what it appears to mean. If you look at the context, he wasnt saying that Jesus isnt present. He was saying that God is not confined to one place.
[right][snapback]892368[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ding ding ding.....

AND I totally agree with Era Might. NOWatch is absolute trash. It isn't even a good attempt at anything scholarly. It is merely an internet tabloid playing to the masses.

If I read their site, I read it for humor and to understand what the more extreme of the sedevacantists/schismatics believe.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:22 PM']It's probably Mario Derksen, who is a sedevacantist.

I don't trust anything from NOW. I don't care who is doing the translating.
[right][snapback]892366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I understand your point, and I agree that we shouldnt trust it. But what I am saying is that from the translated text, I see no problems with that part of the quote when you put it into context with what he is saying. It is worded more clearly than the translation that Brendan provided.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:24 PM']I understand your point, and I agree that we shouldnt trust it. But what I am saying is that from the translated text, I see no problems with that part of the quote when you put it into context with what he is saying.  It is worded more clearly than the translation that Brendan provided.
[right][snapback]892375[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh of course. I'm not arguing with you. I wouldn't even need to see the context. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that the Holy Father's faith in the Eucharist is beyond reproach.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:40 PM']While we're at it, explain this one?
[quote]“Eucharistic devotion such as is noted in the silent visit by the devout in church must not be thought of as a conversation with God. This would assume that God was present there locally and in a confined way. To justify such an assertion shows a lack of understanding of the Christological mysteries of the very concept of God. This is repugnant to the serious thinking of the man who knows about the omnipresence of God. To go to church on the ground that one can visit God who is present there is a senseless act which modern man rightfully rejects.”[/quote]
- Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger.
[right][snapback]892286[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[url="http://holywar.org/Ratzinger.htm"]Ripped.[/url] Word for word. Not Novus Ordo Watch, but also not quoted from a book. Too coincidental, methinks.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:26 PM']Oh of course. I'm not arguing with you. I wouldn't even need to see the context. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that the Holy Father's faith in the Eucharist is beyond reproach.
[right][snapback]892377[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Of course ;)

Fidei Defensor

From the website Cam provided:

[quote]Ratzinger is an Evolutionist, which by definition makes one an athiest...[/quote]

There's sound logic for you :rolleyes: