An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evidence Doesn't Matter"

cmotherofpirl

Just one of the many reasons why I stopped persuing the path to psychologist.

The APA (both of them) are seriously erroneous and so many people act like they are infallible.

I was a chem/psych major, but then just psych... and now CIS. The APA's are seriously deficient in common sense and logic. It is a shame common sense cannot be taught.

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:17 PM']psychology is my major, and the main reason i'm not going to do anything with psych is because of the APA.
[right][snapback]892359[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can do a lot with a psych major in the business world. So many people do not realize what all they can do with their degrees...

Check this out... it's a list of majors with pdf's of what you can do with your degree...
[url="http://www.saintleo.edu/resources/docs/career/majors/default.htm"]http://www.saintleo.edu/resources/docs/car...ors/default.htm[/url]

Here's the psych pdf...
[url="http://www.saintleo.edu/resources/docs/career/majors/information/psychology.pdf"]http://www.saintleo.edu/resources/docs/car.../psychology.pdf[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

First, for those of you involved with Psych, you should check out the Institute for Psychological Sciences, it's 100% Catholic. :) [url="http://www.ipsciences.edu"]http://www.ipsciences.edu[/url]

Now, to the science and morality thing. In general, I'd have to agree more with semalsia. Science cannot prove anything supernatural or metaphysical, morals included in that. It is outside of the realm of science.

HOWEVER, as Catholics, we believe morality is revealed through natural law, and natural law can be supported by scientific studies. Science can't say what's right and what's wrong, but it can say what is healthy, what is beneficial, and what is unhealthy and not beneficial. Because God wants our happiness above all things, what is morally right is also what we believe to be most beneficial in the long run. Science can certainly support that.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

I think the proper point of the article is that the APA has a stance on abortion that is based on a testable statement and has a tendency to deny evidence that proves the statement is false. While the morality of abortion cannot be tested by science, a statement like "abortion is beneficial, or at least non-harmful, to women's mental health" can be tested. If a viewpoint is based on that statement and the statement is proved wrong, then the viewpoint should be re-evaluated. The fact that they are sticking to their viewpoint means that their stance is entrenched not in science, but perhaps in civil rights.

As far as the relief part of abortion, I can attest to the fact that relief is often not associated with happiness. When my wife miscarried a couple weeks ago, we had to wait for the results of a blood test to know for sure. When we got the bad news, we were sad, but also relieved that we knew what really happened.

[quote name='morostheos']HOWEVER, as Catholics, we believe morality is revealed through natural law, and natural law can be supported by scientific studies. Science can't say what's right and what's wrong, but it can say what is healthy, what is beneficial, and what is unhealthy and not beneficial. Because God wants our happiness above all things, what is morally right is also what we believe to be most beneficial in the long run. Science can certainly support that.[/quote]

Doesn't seem to apply to masturbation, though.

Good article, Cmom. "Science" has unfortunately become very much corrupted by politics.

The official positions of many "scientific" orginizations, including the APA, are determined more by political correctness rather than by actual scientific evidence.
Scientists whose findings contradict the "party line" are often shunned or disregarded by such organizations.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Feb 20 2006, 07:28 PM'][quote name='morostheos']HOWEVER, as Catholics, we believe morality is revealed through natural law, and natural law can be supported by scientific studies. Science can't say what's right and what's wrong, but it can say what is healthy, what is beneficial, and what is unhealthy and not beneficial. Because God wants our happiness above all things, what is morally right is also what we believe to be most beneficial in the long run. Science can certainly support that.[/quote]

[right][snapback]893135[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Church holds that masturbation is wrong because it is directing towards yourself love meant to be given to another person. The studies that exist touting its benefits usually don't look at the emotional/psychological aspects that would show those negative effects.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:28 PM'][quote name='morostheos']HOWEVER, as Catholics, we believe morality is revealed through natural law, and natural law can be supported by scientific studies. Science can't say what's right and what's wrong, but it can say what is healthy, what is beneficial, and what is unhealthy and not beneficial. Because God wants our happiness above all things, what is morally right is also what we believe to be most beneficial in the long run. Science can certainly support that.[/quote]

[right][snapback]893135[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually there is a study out there they just came out but I won't post it here. Look it up.