An Old School Catholic Message Board

LUCID DREAMING

Krush2k2

When I was in third grade I had a dream in which I was aware I was dreaming. I tried to fly on the way up the stairs to school. I ended up falling on the steps. My imagination hates me.

[quote name='Krush2k2' date='Feb 15 2006, 01:32 PM'][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming[/url]

Is it a sin to try to engage in lucid dreaming?
[right][snapback]888258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is not a sin to engage in lucid dreaming.

What you do in dreams are not sins.

I have lucid dreams every now and then. Many of the lucid dream techniques do work. I have tried them and have had some of the best nights sleep that I have ever had. I've used reality testing and "flying to sleep". "Flying to sleep" - not a real name but I don't remember what they called it. FTS is simply laying down, closing your eyes, and imagining that you are floating out of your body, heading to the sky and just flying... then, then you realize that you are dreaming.

God Bless,
ironmonk

I read that the Creed song "Higher" is really about lucid dreaming - learned from Hindu monks - and that Scott Stapp used it to drive away nightmares:

[url="http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/001/37.90.html"]http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/001/37.90.html[/url]

The Hindu connection leaves me unsettled, for fear that it might be New Age connected. So be careful. I'd personally stay away from it until I hear a good solid priest say it's not spiritually harmful.

Generally, I'd stay away from New-Age/Hindu "meditation" and other mental exercises, or using "lucid-dream" techniques to seek "spiritual truth" or guidance.

These sorts of things can open you up to demonic influence and deception.

But I'd say "lucid" dreaming in itself is not intrinsically sinful, especially if it occurs naturally - of course deliberately using lucid techniques to act out sinful things such as sexual fantasies would be sinful, on the same level as willfully engaging impure thoughts/masturbation.

[quote name='Krush2k2' date='Feb 15 2006, 07:29 PM']so assault on benny hinn during lucid dreaming-sin or no sin? lol
[right][snapback]888795[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

To just assault a heretic would be a sin unless you kill him, his family, and anyone he's had eye contact with. :D:

Don't try to fly...[i]that [/i]part of it is just spiritual thrill seeking...which is being a harlot not chaste to the Lord your God.

Edited by Donna

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Feb 15 2006, 07:39 PM']Generally, I'd stay away from New-Age/Hindu "meditation" and other mental exercises, or using "lucid-dream" techniques to seek "spiritual truth" or guidance.

These sorts of things can open you up to demonic influence and deception.

But I'd say "lucid" dreaming in itself is not intrinsically sinful, especially if it occurs naturally - of course deliberately  using lucid techniques to act out sinful things such as sexual fantasies would be sinful, on the same level as willfully engaging impure thoughts/masturbation.
[right][snapback]888709[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what if you do it to prevent lustful fantasies? I think having some degree of control over one's imagination can be a good thing, especially if one's imagination is sometimes disordered.

[quote name='Donna' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:37 PM']Don't try to fly...[i]that [/i]part of it is just spiritual thrill seeking...which is being a harlot not chaste to the Lord your God.
[right][snapback]888991[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How is it being unchaste to God? Iif you get thrilled by flying, i don't see a big deal. We already have air planes. The idea of flying isn't that bad. If you can control you're dreams, you'r limiting yourself to not flying? You might as well not thrill yourself in any other way either. Sorry if I'm wrong but I don't see anything wrong with it. I have issues with Lucid dreaming but this doesn't really hit me as one of them.

By the way, i just checked out your music page. I liked your stuff.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:39 PM']what if you do it to prevent lustful fantasies?  I think having some degree of control over one's imagination can be a good thing, especially if one's imagination is sometimes disordered.
[right][snapback]888994[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Like who would actually use "lucid dreaming" for that purpose?
(I actually don't know whether anyone using it for lustful purposes either - just listing a way in which it would be sinful.)
Personally, I think it best to just let nature take its course in one's dreams rather than try to control them in that way. Dreams and sleep can be an outlet for certain things. One should attempt to control one's waking imagination, but worrying about one's "naughty" dreams and other unconscious activity is scrupulous and unhealthy, imho.