An Old School Catholic Message Board

What to Read?

the lords sheep

Regular English, as opposed to. .non-regular English. LOL Seriously, do you mean unlike, say. ..King James English? And why would regular English be a better translation?

TheOliverOrder88

[quote name='mariology21' date='Feb 13 2006, 07:52 PM']WHOA!!!!

I read the Magnificat each day and every so often one of the meditations for the day is from "The Cloud of Unknowning." Each time I read them I think "I should look for that book." I find the paragraphs really good.

Today at work I was going through a pile of books and came across the book!!! I thought "how cool!" So I took it. And now you write this!! I can't wait to read it. It looks really good.

And I  :love: St. John of the Cross!! I didn't know He used this book!!

~Jen
[right][snapback]886431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Some times I read it and it seriously blows my mind away. Most spiritual books I love but this book transcends to my list of favorites from any kind of genre. I don't know why I love this book so much.

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='shortnun' date='Feb 13 2006, 02:04 PM']Parker Palmer's book [b][url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0787947350/002-6420841-3256835?v=glance&n=283155"]Let Your Life Speak[/url][/b] is a great compliment to any other spiritual/discernment book you may be reading. It has really helped me understand (from a Christian anthopology perspective) how I am personally going about discerning [i]my own[/i] (religious) vocation.

And, :welcome:!!!!!!!
[right][snapback]886123[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yep that's a good one.

srmarymichael

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 15 2006, 06:57 PM']Regular English, as opposed to.  .non-regular English.  LOL  Seriously, do you mean unlike, say. ..King James English?    And why would regular English be a better translation?
[right][snapback]888735[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Okay, I'm home again..... This is a great translation:

[b]The Imitation of Christ[/b], translated by William C. Creasy

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 15 2006, 01:35 PM']I haven't even read it yet.  :blush:

I'm pretty sure Sr. Lauren took our copy with her.  Maybe I should borrow yours.  :)
[right][snapback]888330[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you want to, I can send it to you. It is a little beat up and at home, so it may be a week or so until I can send it to you if you wish.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Feb 18 2006, 03:46 PM']If you want to, I can send it to you.  It is a little beat up and at home, so it may be a week or so until I can send it to you if you wish.
[right][snapback]891397[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I started reading about this book. I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before! I think I could get a copy on Amazon. . . . ~making mental note to do so~

srmarymichael

THE BIBLE (as quoted earlier)

Are any of you doing "Lectio Divina"?

Also, another book that is awesome is the [b]Diary of St. Faustina[/b]!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Feb 18 2006, 07:42 PM']Also, another book that is awesome is the [b]Diary of St. Faustina[/b]!
[right][snapback]891457[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
EXCELLENT. It took me over a month to get through it all, but it really did help greatly in my discernment... it was wonderful to read... :)