An Old School Catholic Message Board

What to Read?

the lords sheep

Currently Reading (and enjoying) Priests for the Third Millenium by Archbishop Timmothy Dolan

Other Good Books:

Gift and Mystery, on the 50th anniversary of the priesthood of Pope John Paul II

Milestones: Memoirs of B-16

A Priest Forever; Fr. Benedict Grosehal shares wisdom from the ordination and death of Fr. Eugene Hamiliton, as he truly was a priest forever!

Yours in Christ,

Ed

I heartily recommend "And You Are Christ's" by Fr. DuBay. It's a tiny and easy to read book, but it is packed with some of the most beautiful and thought-provoking insights into the religious life (particularly for us young women).

If you want, you can always borrow it from me when you get back home.

ThyWillBeDone

[quote name='PCPA2Be']Oh, can I steal part of your signature and add it to my own? I love it!

This one: Truth is not determined by majority vote - His Holiness Benedict XVI
[right][snapback]886226[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well of course you can, it is one my favorite quotes.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 13 2006, 06:25 PM']I haven't read it but Sr. Lauren always recommended [u]A Right to be Merry[/u] by Mother Mary Francis
[right][snapback]886359[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
She definatly recommended it to me!! ^_^ Wonder, Wonderful book! I still have it if someone may want to borrow it :)

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 13 2006, 04:02 PM']I am a SUPER fan of TAN!  :shield: .  I just purchased about 8 books including the Religious Vocation book.  I also bought Imitation of christ, because my old one was small (pocket size) and old.  I also bought the St Gertrude book.

Long Live TAN!
[right][snapback]886214[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:D: Oh man... I get a catalouge from them and I made a list of nearly 40 books I would like, many of them being 200+ pages... I already have a good number of their books and when I order from them, I have to pay state taxes because I live in Illinois in the Rockford Diocese, but an hour away from Rockford... that makes me sad because then I have to pay more. One day I just want to drive up to their warehouse or whatever and just ask if I can buy the books there... :sweat:
Sorry for the rant... :D:

[quote name='karin' date='Feb 13 2006, 07:15 PM']The Practice of the Presence of God and another good one is Interior Castles
[right][snapback]886466[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, I really want to second The Practice of the Presence of God. This book has really influenced my spiritual life and discernment, and it contains such beautiful simplicity for a soul desiring union with God.

ThyWillBeDone

There is lot of good books listed above, but one very important one we may all be taking for granted but I thougt I better list in just in case. THE BIBLE. I know for a while when I was first discerning I got so caught up in reading all the kinds of books listed above that I forgot to read the bible as much as I should. If we want to follow our Lord Jesus Christ's, we need to read the gospels inorder to truely know him, because you can not follow what you do not know
God Bless

[quote name='ThyWillBeDone' date='Feb 14 2006, 06:04 PM']There is lot of good books listed above, but one very important one we may all be taking for granted but I thougt I better list in just in case. THE BIBLE. I know for a while when I was first discerning I got so caught up in reading all the kinds of books listed above that I forgot to read the bible as much as I should.  If we want to follow our Lord Jesus Christ's, we need to read the gospels inorder to truely know him, because you can not follow what you do not know
God Bless
[right][snapback]887608[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen. Sometimes the best answer is the simplest.

:sign:

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Feb 14 2006, 01:28 PM']woah...  phatmass did something funny...  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]887348[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What?

srmarymichael

[b]"The Imitation of Christ" [/b](get a good translation)

[b]"Undivided Heart" [/b]and [b]"Holiness" [/b]
by Sr. Ann Schumacher (see religiouslife.org)

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Feb 15 2006, 08:49 AM'][b]"The Imitation of Christ" [/b](get a good translation)

[b]"Undivided Heart" [/b]and [b]"Holiness" [/b]
by Sr. Ann Schumacher (see religiouslife.org)
[right][snapback]888146[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How do you know what a good translation is? I got mine from TAN, but other than that. . . :idontknow:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:16 AM']How do you know what a good translation is?  I got mine from TAN, but other than that. . .  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]888163[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I would trust TAN with a spirital classic like that. I think they mean that it would be best to get it from a trustworthy pblisher, most likely one that is Catholic. There are a large number of 'modern' translations that are not very good. These are usually not published by good Catholic pulishers (like TAN, Catholic Book Publishing Co., etc.)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Feb 14 2006, 03:23 PM']She definatly recommended it to me!! ^_^ Wonder, Wonderful book!  I still have it if someone may want to borrow it :)
:D:
[right][snapback]887340[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I haven't even read it yet. :blush:

I'm pretty sure Sr. Lauren took our copy with her. Maybe I should borrow yours. :)

srmarymichael

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:16 AM']How do you know what a good translation is?  I got mine from TAN, but other than that. . .  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]888163[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A good translation is one that is in regular English (in my opinion). The copy I have has fruit on the front cover (can't remember the translator's name.....)