An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking A Man's Name at Marriage

franciscanheart

I see valid reasons for a woman keeping their maiden name.

However, I think you need to be careful that it is not a sign of disunity. Two become one.
This often gets worse if other things are separate: i.e. bank accounts, vacations, bedrooms, boyfriends...

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Feb 14 2006, 09:28 PM']I see valid reasons for a woman keeping their maiden name.

However, I think you need to be careful that it is not a sign of disunity. Two become one.
This often gets worse if other things are separate: i.e. bank accounts, vacations, bedrooms, boyfriends...
[right][snapback]887720[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If a husband and wife have separate boyfriends, I would think they have deeper issues....

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:29 AM']My boss uses her maiden name professionally, although she's taken her husband's name legally.
[right][snapback]885793[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is what I do too.

Primarily because my husband won't let me use [i]his[/i] name for goofy writing stuff. :rolleyes:

Not that I want to. My name is better. :P:

He gets called "Mr. Amberdine" on occasion, and it takes him a while to figure out who they're talking to... :hehe:

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 14 2006, 08:34 PM']If a husband and wife have separate boyfriends, I would think they have deeper issues....
[right][snapback]887732[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:idontknow: :cyclops:

I just hope my future spouse likes my last name so much that she wouldn't think of keeping whatever her last name is, or I hope her last name is embarrassing or something so she'd be glad to change it.

The idea of coverture was introduced in William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England in the late 1700's. Coverture was part of the common laws of England and the United States through out most of the 1800s. Coverture is the idea that in marriage a woman's existence is incorporated into that of her husband. She has no existence outside of him. The wife has no individual rights of her own. A wife could not own property, vote, obtain an education, or enter into any contract. If a wife was permitted to work under the laws of coverture she was required to relinquish her wages to her husband. The Supreme Court upheld the idea of coverture in the case of Bradwell v. Illinois, 1893. Even before then, though, many states had begun reforming marriage laws to eliminate or reduce the effects of coverture.

--Wiki

I like my first name and my last name but not together, therefore I would be quite happy to change my name if the new name was decent enough. If it was a hideous name, I would try to persuade my husband to change his name to mine.

I don't like the term "Mrs" but hopefully I'll be able to call myself "Dr" in a few years...

[quote name='Deeds' date='Feb 16 2006, 03:17 PM']I like my first name and my last name but not together, therefore I would be quite happy to change my name if the new name was decent enough. If it was a hideous name, I would try to persuade my husband to change his name to mine.

I don't like the term "Mrs" but hopefully I'll be able to call myself "Dr" in a few years...
[right][snapback]889524[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What do you have against the term "Mrs."??
You sound quite the feminist!

(And deciding to disregard tradition and marriage roles regarding names based entirely on whether you like the sound of the name seems quite vain and childish!)

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 16 2006, 05:43 PM']I don't like the term Ms.
[right][snapback]889684[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't either, but that's quite different than the term "Mrs."

"Mrs." shows that a woman is married to a man.
"Ms." is a title invented by feminists, which implies that a woman's marital status is irrelevant.

franciscanheart

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Feb 16 2006, 07:02 PM']I don't know what all has been said in this thread, but I will never take a man's name as my own.

Nuh uh, no way.
[right][snapback]889697[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:hehe: