An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking A Man's Name at Marriage

franciscanheart

So nothing... I'm just commenting on the futility of trying to change the naming system.

If you want to honor the end of your family's lineage, I can respect and admire that. But it is just that, the end of the lineage, right? Will you be passing it on to your sons? If not, I see it as a statement in the recordbooks as "here ends this family line". I really do respect that.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:45 PM']Give them a baby crib. :mellow:
[right][snapback]885937[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Or, if you want to give them something they might be too embarassed to return, a breast pump. :mellow:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:11 PM']yep.

My friend accidently spelled her son's name wrong on his birth certificate (she claims she was heavily drugged and her husband made the goof). Fortunately, there's a little bit of a grace period on those kinds of things and she didn't have to pay for the change. Otherwise his name would be Benjaman.
[right][snapback]886031[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[color=blue] that's what happend with my sister...only it was the printer's fault? Her name was supposed to be "Carolynne" but it came out as "Carolyne" and (those who don't know her) call her by that. but her name really sounds like "Caroline".....ya know what I mean?[/color]

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 13 2006, 05:29 PM']I wouldn't do hyphenated. I think that's dumb.
[right][snapback]885793[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I disagree, partly perhaps i've got one ;)

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 06:25 PM']Or, if you want to give them something they might be too embarassed to return, a breast pump. :mellow:
[right][snapback]886358[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:sweat: Oh my.

I think, as some others have said, that the woman should take the man's name because it's an outward expression of their union. The two become one, they both share a name, the husband's name. I think it's awesome. :)

Plus, I really wanna change my last name anyway. It's so close to another word it's caused a great deal of teasing for many years. :P:

franciscanheart

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 06:25 PM']Or, if you want to give them something they might be too embarassed to return, a breast pump. :mellow:
[right][snapback]886358[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:sweat: oh goodness... remind me not to invite you to my wedding...

The only exception I can think of is if she is a widower, or maybe received an annullment, and has children from her previous marriage. She may be justified in keeping her maiden name.

I have a hyphenated last name, dumb me! It's a moutful to say each time. This is partly to do with coming to a compromise between cultures.

My children have my husband's last name only

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:55 PM']No, but there is a joke:

What's the difference between shanty Irish and lace-curtain Irish?

The lace-curtain Irish remove the dishes before peeing in the kitchen sink.
[right][snapback]885848[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
sweet joke.

Has anyone discussed the system of [i]coverture[/i] that was in effect until the 1800s?

franciscanheart

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 14 2006, 07:17 AM']sweet joke.
Has anyone discussed the system of [i]coverture[/i] that was in effect until the 1800s?
[right][snapback]886906[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what is that?

photosynthesis

[quote name='Winchester' date='Feb 14 2006, 03:11 PM']Women should always take the man's last name. Then they should stomp on it like they do his pride.
[right][snapback]887247[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what's that supposed to mean?