An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking A Man's Name at Marriage

franciscanheart

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:14 PM']micah, sillyhead, you can't use logic!  this is the modern age!  just use seasonal and only get your period four times a year!

oh bro. adam, that's rough  :(
[right][snapback]885883[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yeah. I think somewhere in there he knows it is wrong, but that is our American Protestant worldview. Ignore the truth and manipulate the BIble to make it say what I want becuase I am my own authority.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:14 PM']micah, sillyhead, you can't use logic!  this is the modern age!  just use seasonal and only get your period four times a year!

oh bro. adam, that's rough  :(
[right][snapback]885883[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ah, but this is what I call Franciscan logic...St. Francis did what seemed to fix the situation, no matter how much an outsider thought he was being crazy and illogical. Parents hindering you from God's work? Disown them! Do you know how crazy and backward that must have seemed?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:16 PM']yeah. I think somewhere in there he knows it is wrong, but that is our American Protestant worldview. Ignore the truth and manipulate the BIble to make it say what I want becuase I am my own authority.
[right][snapback]885886[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:( That's the American worldview...Catholics do it, too.

It's a shame.

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:17 PM']sigh. 

they need a Pope :mellow:
[right][snapback]885888[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

*giggles* the problem is they have to many. Eveyrone is his/her own pope.

"And when every one is super than no one will be!"

Edited by Brother Adam

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:18 PM']"And when every one is super than no one will be!"
[right][snapback]885892[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thank you, Syndrome.

franciscanheart

my friend and her fiance also want twins... really bad... and im scared theyre do things the unnatural way in order to get them....

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:21 PM']my friend and her fiance also want twins... really bad... and im scared theyre do things the unnatural way in order to get them....
[right][snapback]885898[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
*shudders*

Twins are great...but too many people want their own little Mary Kate and Ashley...and isn't that treating them like objects?

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:29 PM']I wouldn't do hyphenated. I think that's dumb.
[right][snapback]885793[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Me neither! What really boggles my mind is, what do you do if you have a hyphenated last name, and your husband has a hyphenated last name?

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:39 PM']I mean when I'm filling out forms and stuff. :rolleyes:

It always made me feel like my parents were divorced or something, putting down two names...until I filled out the address...then I felt like my parents were, in Dr. Laura's terms, "shackin' up."
[right][snapback]885811[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah... even after my parents divorced, my mom still kept my dad's name because she wanted to make it easier for me. That, and I think she kept her married name because it would tick my dad off :)

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:51 PM']Which is ironic considering that the mom has to be Jewish for you to be considered Jewish.
[right][snapback]885839[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think that tradition began during a time when the Jews were enslaved.... I think it was by the Babylonians or the Romans. Because so many Jewish women were being raped by marauding soldiers, it was often the case where the identity of a child's father was unknown. So many Jewish children were being raised as Jews, but only had 1 Jewish parent.

However, if a child has a Jewish father, but a Gentile mother, the child is not Jewish because the rule was meant to accomodate women who had been raped.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:15 PM']I don't know what the Church says on the matter, but I'm going to refuse to go to weddings of that type...I'll just flat out refuse and tell them politely why.

St. Thomas More, pray for us!

(I ask his intercession because...well...he seems like the type of guy who would also refuse...)
[right][snapback]885885[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'd go to the wedding and but for their wedding present I'd give them "Good News About Sex and Marriage" or something along those lines, and NFP guides. Registry schmregistry.

My name is my reputation. I've worked really hard to build it, put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it. If I'm going to keep working in my chosen field, trading that in on a professional level might not be the best option for either me or my husband. It's not just people in my field that know who I am, but all the people I write about know me by a certain name.

Even if we wanted to start a family right away, and I planned to stay home while the children were small, I'd probably still want to freelance -- using my maiden name -- because that's how I'm known professionally. I also don't want to hurt my chances of being able to re-enter the workforce at some time. You never know what's going to happen, and I don't think it wise to expect a woman to just drop out of the workforce altogether. I'd probably be most willing to do like my boss does and keep my maiden name for professional purposes, or keep it as my middle name and just use all three names professionally.

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:35 PM']I'd go to the wedding and but for their wedding present I'd give them "Good News About Sex and Marriage" or something along those lines, and NFP guides.  Registry schmregistry.
[right][snapback]885927[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
my friends are church of christ and wouldnt take it so well if i gave them a book for their wedding. i dont want to purposely make them mad. would you say screw it and do it anyway? or would you give them book in addition to something they may want/need?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:42 PM']my friends are church of christ and wouldnt take it so well if i gave them a book for their wedding. i dont want to purposely make them mad. would you say screw it and do it anyway? or would you give them book in addition to something they may want/need?
[right][snapback]885935[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Give them a baby crib. :mellow:

photosynthesis

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:42 PM']my friends are church of christ and wouldnt take it so well if i gave them a book for their wedding. i dont want to purposely make them mad. would you say screw it and do it anyway? or would you give them book in addition to something they may want/need?
[right][snapback]885935[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ah, well then. If they were non-Catholic, I'd definitely be a bit more tactful. I probably would use a book like "Open Embrace" (which is written by a Protestant couple) and a Bundt pan or whatever.

But if a couple is getting married in the Catholic Church and refusing to abide by her rules, I'd be a bit more aggressive.