An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking A Man's Name at Marriage

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:37 AM']what are the professional ramifications of taking your husband's last name? :huh:

why can't they just get used to you as Mrs. someone?

and i'm with Micah, it just makes me go "but why"?  and i haven't heard a good enough reason yet! :P:
[right][snapback]885805[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm with you on this I think. I don' t think there should be any real thought process to it haha! Just take his last name!

I like that Courtney Cox became Courtney Cox-Arquette even if it was all that hyphenated business.

yea, i'm with soj on the hypenated thing... cuz then your kids end up with a million letter last name and.... blah. just pick one already :P:

also, if you have a different last name then your kids (who would presumably have the dad's last name), how do you explain to your kid why you don't match?

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:39 AM']hot stuff, that's an interesting idea.... may i ask why?

just curious, is all :)
[right][snapback]885810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think if you're really going for the "two become one" idea. Then why shouldn't I make a change? If she's willing to take my name and my history, I should be willing to do the same.

I just thought it would be cool.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kateri05' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:45 PM']also, if you have a different last name then your kids (who would presumably have the dad's last name), how do you explain to your kid why you don't match?
[right][snapback]885820[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's what I mean! I always felt dysfunctional when filling out forms.

homeschoolmom

What I always think if funny is when women won't take the husband's name for feminist reasons... I've had the following conversation before:

She: I'm not going to take my husband's name. Why should I take his name just cuz he's a MAN??

Me: So, what name will you have?

She: My current name, _____.

Me: But isn't that the name your parents gave you? I mean, isn't that your dad's name? He's a man, right?

She: :blink:

franciscanheart

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:45 AM']I think if you're really going for the "two become one" idea.  Then why shouldn't I make a change?  If she's willing to take my name and my history, I should be willing to do the same.

[right][snapback]885821[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I like that idea. :)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:45 PM']I think if you're really going for the "two become one" idea.  Then why shouldn't I make a change?  If she's willing to take my name and my history, I should be willing to do the same.

[/quote]
You do make a change. You can't take a wiz in the sink anymore and you have to put the toilet seat down.

The wiz part was just a Simpson's inspired joke...

franciscanheart

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:47 AM']What I always think if funny is when women won't take the husband's name for feminist reasons... I've had the following conversation before:

She: I'm not going to take my husband's name. Why should I take his name just cuz he's a MAN??

Me: But isn't that the name your parents gave you? I mean, isn't that your dad's name? He's a man, right?

[right][snapback]885828[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:hehe: got 'em good.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:48 AM']You do make a change.  [b]You can't take a wiz in the sink anymore[/b] and you have to put the toilet seat down.
[right][snapback]885830[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blink: boys do that? ew.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:47 PM']What I always think if funny is when women won't take the husband's name for feminist reasons... I've had the following conversation before:

[right][snapback]885828[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling:

Gotta love logic!

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:45 AM']I think if you're really going for the "two become one" idea.  Then why shouldn't I make a change?  If she's willing to take my name and my history, I should be willing to do the same.

[/quote]

BIblically, lineage happens through the husband, not the wife.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:49 PM']:blink: boys do that? ew.
[right][snapback]885832[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Read my edit.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:50 PM']BIblically, lineage happens through the husband, not the wife.
[right][snapback]885836[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Which is ironic considering that the mom has to be Jewish for you to be considered Jewish.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:50 AM']Read my edit.
[right][snapback]885837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
phew. you had me worried! :blush:

hot stuff: thats neat :) my husband woulda never gone for it, but, then, the kids get to be Catholic and he's converting, so really, its all about picking your battles ;)

hsmom, that just proves how feminism is a totally lame and idiotic attempt for women to do all the work. who wants that?? let men hold doors and be breadwinners and take care of us :P: silly feminists.

and micah, you're yicky!