An Old School Catholic Message Board

US vs Iran

rkwright

I read on a german website today that Iran has resumed enriching uranium for nuclear weapons. They have made open threats and I think the world pretty much agrees they are a danger to the world.

So my question....

Why are we dragging our feet on this one??? We went to Iraq pretty quick, and they didn't seem to be nearly at this stage of the weapons program. Here we have a real threat, yet the US seems to be moving extremely slow on this one.

Can we be involved in another country at this time? Is it Europes turn to step up to the place?

[quote name='rkwright' date='Feb 13 2006, 09:47 AM']I read on a german website today that Iran has resumed enriching uranium for nuclear weapons.  They have made open threats and I think the world pretty much agrees they are a danger to the world.

So my question....

Why are we dragging our feet on this one???  We went to Iraq pretty quick, and they didn't seem to be nearly at this stage of the weapons program.  Here we have a real threat, yet the US seems to be moving extremely slow on this one. 

Can we be involved in another country at this time?  Is it Europes turn to step up to the place?
[right][snapback]885744[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Because Iran has a 5000 pound gorilla watching its back called 'Russia' who signed a 700 million dollar weapon deal with them in January just passed.

The US cannot take on Iran. The US have to take on Iran and....friends.

India gets much of its ressrouces from Iran as well, think they'll just stand around and watch?

Iran is not another Iraq; make no mistake about it.

PS: so how is Iraq coming along? Should we file it besides that 'war on drugs'?

[quote name='Didacus' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:02 AM']Because Iran has a 5000 pound gorilla watching its back called 'Russia' who signed a 700 million dollar weapon deal with them in January just passed.
The US cannot take on Iran.  The US have to take on Iran and....friends. 
India gets much of its ressrouces from Iran as well, think they'll just stand around and watch?
Iran is not another Iraq; make no mistake about it.

PS: so how is Iraq coming along?  Should we file it besides that 'war on drugs'?
[right][snapback]885756[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I doubt Russia will go to war with the US over Iran. Same with India. India is too British to engage the US over Iran.

I agree with you Iran is not another Iraq; I think its much worse.

No, they would not declare open war, neither Russia or India. But they would support Iran both in the world scene and with some hardware; guaranteed.

For one thing, if it comes down to it, Russia's nuclear arsenal will be used to conterway the US nuclear arsenal.

Iran is twice the neighbor to Russia; you think Russia wants to have US troops that close?

And India is gasping for ressources right now; cut off theire supply a little and its not a question of them wanting to or not; its a question of them HAVING to secure their ressources regardless. Their ressources come from Iran; not the US. India has a large islamic population by the way.

Processing weapon's grade material is a very time consuming process.

I don't have as much confidence in US intelligence gathering as I used to have but I suspect that we think we still have time to deal with them.

[quote name='Didacus' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:13 AM']No, they would not declare open war, neither Russia or India.  But they would support Iran both in the world scene and with some hardware; guaranteed.

For one thing, if it comes down to it, Russia's nuclear arsenal will be used to conterway the US nuclear arsenal.

Iran is twice the neighbor to Russia; you think Russia wants to have US troops that close?

And India is gasping for ressources right now; cut off theire supply a little and its not a question of them wanting to or not; its a question of them HAVING to secure their ressources regardless.  Their ressources come from Iran; not the US.  India has a large islamic population by the way.
[right][snapback]885768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm a bit surprised, you paint it like we're back in the Cold War with Russia. If the US offered spots in the WTO Russia would quickly, almost overnight I'd say, give up anything with Iran. Russia wants to be with the West, I doubt they would side with Iran.

Hardware... yea maybe, Irans military is probably all former USSR stuff anyways. And the black market weapons are coming from Russia, but this is nothing new.

I don't see why Russia would see US troops so close to Russia as a threat. There is no way we're invading Russia, they're no threat to us.

And India backing Iran?? I really don't see that at all. India is way to close to the US, economically and politically. I'm open to the possibility if you have some proof? or articles?

How's this for starters:

[url="http://prisonplanet.com/articles/february2006/100206missile_defence.htm"]http://prisonplanet.com/articles/february2...ile_defence.htm[/url]

I admit I am a little biased.

I admit also that I see these conflicts in terms of ressources more than political play.

India is barely keeping itsdelf afloat with ressources these days, and keep in mind you are talking about over 1 billion in population here.

Wehn talking politics; you're talking decisionis and choices.
When talking ressources; you're talking about necessity, you're talking about life and death.

[quote name='rkwright' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:47 AM']I read on a german website today that Iran has resumed enriching uranium for nuclear weapons.  They have made open threats and I think the world pretty much agrees they are a danger to the world.

So my question....

Why are we dragging our feet on this one???  We went to Iraq pretty quick, and they didn't seem to be nearly at this stage of the weapons program.  Here we have a real threat, yet the US seems to be moving extremely slow on this one. 

Can we be involved in another country at this time?  Is it Europes turn to step up to the place?
[right][snapback]885744[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think we are trying to see if the UN has any worth to it. Also, I think Israel will make the first strike. I wouldn't be surprised if they attack this week.

US prepares military blitz against Iran's nuclear sites.... [url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/12/wiran12.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/12/ixnewstop.html"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../ixnewstop.html[/url]

Iraq was a last resort... years of diplomacy was not working.
Iran will be attacked by the US as a last resort also. I think Israel will attack before we would reach our "last resort", then we would have to help Israel.

If we do not help Israel and the world turns on Israel, stop everything, go to confession, and spend lots of time in prayer.

God Bless,
ironmonk

So Isreal and Iran will be fighting the 'big boy's battle'.

That actually makes sense.

"May you live in interesting times."

Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for.