An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does the word "Reconciliation" bug you

Resurrexi

Does it bug you when people use the word "Reconciliation"  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:06 PM']It my be possible in the future, but right now it is an idult not a rite.
[right][snapback]885870[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not sure that the limitations mean it's not a Rite in itself...

I mean, we do have the Ambrosian Rite, and that's pretty limited itself. :)

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 08:06 PM'] Reconciliation is a touchy feely word, and the Church has never been touchy feely. Confession and Reconciliation both refer to tasks that are often difficult and humiliating, which is good because it makes you sorrier for your sins. And, just so you know, reconciliation dosent describe the whole sacrament either.
[right][snapback]885224[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What does it take to be reconciled to God? It takes our confessions, and then our acts of penance, but each part is working towards our reconciliation with God. How is that touchy-feely?

Then I suppose marriage isn't a part of the church, eh? I mean, the entire wedding and honeymoon are completely touchy-feely. :idontknow:

I feel sorry for you, really. Do you not think that it will be a touchy-feely experience when we, as Christians, finally meet Jesus face to face? I mean, I know I can't wait to be held in the arms of my Savior. Ah well...to each his own.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Feb 13 2006, 02:08 PM'] Do you no think that it will be a touchy-feely experience when we, as Christians, finally meet Jesus face to face?  I mean, I know I can't wait to be held in the arms of my Savior.  Ah well...to each his own.
[right][snapback]886127[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i can only imagine

what it would be like

when i walk

by your side

i can only imagine

what my eyes would see

when your face

is before me

[quote]Reconciliation is a touchy feely word, and the Church has never been touchy feely. Confession and Reconciliation both refer to tasks that are often difficult and humiliating, which is good because it makes you sorrier for your sins. And, just so you know, reconciliation dosent describe the whole sacrament either.[/quote]

What do you think the name should be? Obviously Confession isn't enough because you need Penance. Penance really isn't enough because you do that on your own. I'm not sure what all you could replace it with.

Now as for it being touch-feely, I do understand how many things in our era can lean towards such, but I do wonder if you oppose the word because it is more modern or because you have a strong case against it. :)

I use it because the goal of the Sacrament is aimed towards the restoration of grace in a person, id est, his reconciliation with God (for without grace, he is separated from the Father). This cannot be done without confessing the sins to a Priest (or Bishop, depending on the case) and an act of penance, but it also includes the right mind set. You will probably agree with me that wrong intention could very possibly invalidate the Sacrament, just as a lack of mortal sins confessed.

Of course, I think that it doesn't matter too much what you call it because the Sacrament includes all three and all you really need to worry about are the actions involved, the intention, and the Priest. Beyond that, as long as everyone knows to what you refer, you're probably in the green.

I think that your problem is more accurately why people use the word, not what the word itself means. :)

So apparently according to the poll it only bugs 12 year olds. (I didn't vote by the way)

Then I would say you'll grow out of it kiddo!!

Remember if you want to grow up to be big and strong, pray, eat your vegetables and listen to your parents!! My guess is by the time you get confirmed, this won't bother you one little bit

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 13 2006, 02:18 PM']So apparently according to the poll it only bugs 12 year olds.  (I didn't vote by the way)
Then I would say you'll grow out of it kiddo!!

Remember if you want to grow up to be big and strong, pray, eat your vegetables and listen to your parents!!  My guess is by the time you get confirmed, this won't bother you one little bit
[right][snapback]886149[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 13 2006, 05:43 PM'][mod]Mature content[/mod]
I'll pray for you,
Tyler
[right][snapback]886323[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're looking for a time out young man!!

And you are THIS CLOSE to losing your gameboy!!

Edited by Lil Red

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 13 2006, 05:43 PM'][mod]Mature content[/mod]
I'll pray for you,
Tyler
[right][snapback]886323[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wow, Tyler. Calm down. :ohno:

We are not modernists or liberals. We are orthodox Catholics who are faithful to Holy Mother Church.

I hope you'll stick around. You might even learn something, including that we are not out to get you ;)

The change in your sig is in line with the PM guidelines. No linking to schismatic sites is allowed. No one is singling you out. Everyone here is held to that same standard.

Why are you so angry?

Edited by Lil Red

we don't do Catholic vs. Catholic here. everyone go play outside and get some fresh air. internet is not real life. heck, i don't even exist! :ninja: