An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does the word "Reconciliation" bug you

Resurrexi

Does it bug you when people use the word "Reconciliation"  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:21 AM']ever read a document called Ecclesia Dei (ok I admit the SSPX may be in schism, now lets get past that part!) It says you MUST respect those who desire the Traditional Sacraments, Rites, Calendar etc. and YOU are not showing respect to me. I follow the Old Rites. What you are saying is like telling a Easterner that they have to call their Sacrifice a Mass rather than a Divine Litrugy! It is so insulting! since I am under the Old Rite I need not call it the Sacrement of Reconciliation or have that be the name of the sacrament that I am recieveing. The official name in MY rite is The Sacrament of Penance, so that is the offocial name for me!
I do submit to the magesterium, but as I have said, waht you are telling me is that you dont appreciate my Rites or Calendar or Sacraments. What you are doing is trying to Latinize an Eastern Catholic, which should never be done.
[right][snapback]885530[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No. No one here is trying to do anything to you. You come in here telling us that you correct other people for their use of the word reconcilation. If you want to claim you're under a different rite (which you're really not) then thats fine. If you want to call it confession or penance thats fine. But when you tell us the word reconcilation is wrong you are doing exactly what you say should 'never be done'. You're trying to 'extremenize' (if thats a word) a group of orthodox Catholics.

You want to use the CCT because you like it better... fine... no problems... You want to tell us the CCC is not authoritative? Thats a problem. We are called to respect what you like (the use of the old mass, if you want to use the CCT) BUT BUT BUT you are called to be an orthodox catholic. And that means accepting things like the N.O. Mass as valid, Vatican II, the CCC, and the word reconcilation. You don't have to like it, but if you do have to accept it as just as valid as your statements. :maddest:

Edited by rkwright

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 06:18 PM']Does it bug anyone else when someone uses the word "Reconciliation" instead of "Confession" or "Penance"? What do you all think of the word?
[right][snapback]885051[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
you bug me :P:

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Cam42' date='Feb 12 2006, 08:57 PM']Nope, doesn't bother me.  However, I call it Confession.  As in I am going to Confession.  However, I receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Go figure......
[right][snapback]885208[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm with Cam :saint:

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:21 AM']ever read a document called Ecclesia Dei (ok I admit the SSPX may be in schism, now lets get past that part!) It says you MUST respect those who desire the Traditional Sacraments, Rites, Calendar etc. and YOU are not showing respect to me. I follow the Old Rites. What you are saying is like telling a Easterner that they have to call their Sacrifice a Mass rather than a Divine Litrugy! It is so insulting! since I am under the Old Rite I need not call it the Sacrement of Reconciliation or have that be the name of the sacrament that I am recieveing. The official name in MY rite is The Sacrament of Penance, so that is the offocial name for me!
Vatican II was a pastoral council and did not define any dogma, it only restated already defined dogma.
Vatican II was Pastoral the CCC is not as authoritive as the CCT, end of story.
I do not belong to his rite.
I do submit to the magesterium, but as I have said, waht you are telling me is that you dont appreciate my Rites or Calendar or Sacraments. What you are doing is trying to Latinize an Eastern Catholic, which should never be done.
[right][snapback]885530[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you know what the word obsitnate means? If not, go [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=obstinate"]here.[/url]

You are wrong on so many levels. I don't have time to get into all of it now, as I have to get to work, but I will respond later....

Thanks for your explaination cappie......it is time to catechize properly, I think.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:21 AM']I do not belong to his rite.[right][snapback]885530[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh, are you a member of an Eastern Rite? There is no such thing as "Old Rite" and "New Rite."

[quote name='ReinnieR' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:00 AM']you bug me  :P:
[right][snapback]885550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ditto.

Are there not more important things to get all upset about other than someone calling the sacrament that you go to be reconciled to God and Church 'reconciliation'? Goodness.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 06:24 PM']the word "Reconciliation" was never used until AFTER Vatican II when it was introduced to make the Sacrament touchy feel-goody. I positively hate the word...
[right][snapback]885060[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I too used to prefer 'confession.' But since our pastor explained it at RCIA, 'reconciliation' is a better term. We are called to be reconciled to God.

1, we confess our sins to God or his ordaned representative. 2. we perform pennance to attempt to make right our wrongs 3. as all our sins damage our relationship with God, we do what we can (as He has directed and revealed) to reconcile our errors with him.

Is that not what, in part, this whole Catholic Church thing is about? The deposit of faith and sacrements guiding us in the best way on how we, as members of Christ's body, grow in our goal to be know to the heavenly hosts as a 'friend of God.' Hence, reconciliation is a better term.
Is 'reconciliation' more touchy-feely? Perhaps, dependant on culture and customs. Does that mean it is not a better name? no. Were there acts taken after VII which were illicit and hoped to appeal more to the current sensitivities of western culture in their interpretation of the chruch and sacrements than to truth of what they are? yes.

I may embrace a post Vatican II mantra:

The abuse of a doctrine does not prove the doctrine errant.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 13 2006, 09:29 AM']Oh, are you a member of an Eastern Rite? There is no such thing as "Old Rite" and "New Rite."
[right][snapback]885685[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I believe this question might have been raised recently in theological circles about whether there aren't two Latin Rites now. It's a mess since we do have both Liturgies, and I can easily see how it would create two separate Rites.

It's not so definitive as most people on here probably believe. :)

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 10:54 PM']excuse me, but I do not follow the Novus Ordo, so this does not apply to me.
[right][snapback]885498[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

check out my string in apologetics under

"Help tradionalist/conservative friend"

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:00 AM']I believe this question might have been raised recently in theological circles about whether there aren't two Latin Rites now.  It's a mess since we do have both Liturgies, and I can easily see how it would create two separate Rites.

It's not so definitive as most people on here probably believe.  :)
[right][snapback]885858[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It my be possible in the future, but right now it is an idult not a rite.

Thy Geekdom Come

Reconciliation is a beautiful name for the Sacrament.

The name implies that you and God see eye-to-eye again...actually, that you gaze into each other's eyes again...it shows the beauty of the agape relationship and the love God has with us, as well as the intimacy He desires with His people.

Re-again

con-with, together

cilia-your eyelashes

Reconciliation makes your eyelashes and God's to mingle together again.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:51 PM']Reconciliation is a beautiful name for the Sacrament.

The name implies that you and God see eye-to-eye again...actually, that you gaze into each other's eyes again...it shows the beauty of the agape relationship and the love God has with us, as well as the intimacy He desires with His people.

Re-again

con-with, together

cilia-your eyelashes

[right][snapback]885943[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sigh, I need to get my eyelashes back where they belong... :saint:

[quote name='Birgitta Noel' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:55 AM']Sigh, I need to get my eyelashes back where they belong... :saint:
[right][snapback]885944[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
cute

same here

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:51 PM']Reconciliation is a beautiful name for the Sacrament.

Re-again

con-with, together

cilia-your eyelashes

[right][snapback]885943[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:love: