An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does the word "Reconciliation" bug you

Resurrexi

Does it bug you when people use the word "Reconciliation"  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like eating fish. You just have to be careful with the amounts of mercury you are getting in your diet. If you get enough it can supposedly cause dimensia.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 08:15 PM']Is there anything that says that I am on fisheaters or that my parents are not on fisheaters?
I do NOT hate the Catholic Church, I love the Catholic Chuch.
I, too, am a Catholic and feel that something is keeping you away from the whole Truth.
[right][snapback]885142[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
StThomasMore,

The fact that you consider someone who is a Roman Catholic to be lacking truth is very telling.

For what it's worth, I attend a Tridentine Mass every week (today was Septuagesima Sunday) and I sing in the Schola.

I don't fit the 'post conciliar ingnoramous' mold that you seem to want to put me into.

I know many schismatics and call some of them friends.

I'll pray for you and your breathern.

Michael

p.s. - Since you say that you're Catholic why don't you prove it and pledge your fidelity right here in public to the Vicar of Christ, Pope Benedict XVI? As a Catholic you would agree, afterall, that he is the true Pope, wouldn't you?

'tis a silly poll.

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is what you get when you confess your sins to a priest and are absolved of them.

What's wrong about that!?

It's a great way of seeing the sacrament.

QUOTE]Me. I'm on there and I'm pretty sure your parents are not.

Secondly, I am on there, and your signature at the bottom. Dead giveaway. [/QUOTE]

what the heck! what's your fisheaters username? I can take a guess though: CatholicLady.

[quote]The fact that you consider someone who is a Roman Catholic to be lacking truth is very telling.[/quote]

not to be rude or anything, but only non-Catholics call Catholics "Roman Catholics." A Roman Catholic is either a Latin Rite Catholic ( and there are many other rites) or a Cathoilc who lives in the City of Rome. Catholics usually refer to themselves as "Catholics"

and it is very telling that you consider me to be lacking truth.

[quote]I know many schismatics and call some of them friends.[/quote]

I am not a "schismatic." I attend a Mass said by the indult of His Excellency Michael O. Jackles, Bishop of Wichita.

[quote]For what it's worth, I attend a Tridentine Mass every week (today was Septuagesima Sunday) and I sing in the Schola.[/quote]

Yes, today was Septuagesima Sunday. I presume you attend the indult. I really dont know what the Schola is, sorry.

[quote]p.s. - Since you say that you're Catholic why don't you prove it and pledge your fidelity right here in public to the Vicar of Christ, Pope Benedict XVI? As a Catholic you would agree, afterall, that he is the true Pope, wouldn't you?[/quote]

I, Tyler Anthony, do solemnly pledge my fidelity to His Holieness, Pope Benedict the Sixteenth. Amen.

[quote]not to be rude or anything, but only non-Catholics call Catholics "Roman Catholics." A Roman Catholic is either a Latin Rite Catholic ( and there are many other rites) or a Cathoilc who lives in the City of Rome. Catholics usually refer to themselves as "Catholics"[/quote]

Not to be rude or anything, but "Latin-rite Catholic", although useful shorthand, is an incomplete expression. A rite does not exist on its own. It is part of a Sui Iuris Church. A Catholic could properly be said to be of the Latin Church, which houses a variety of Rites, principally, the Roman Rite.

And not to be rude again, but plenty of Catholic dioceses in the United States refer to themselves as "The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of..."

See, for example, my own Archdiocese, "The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston", condensed in the URL:

[url="http://www.rcab.org"]http://www.rcab.org[/url]

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 06:24 PM']the word "Reconciliation" was never used until AFTER Vatican II when it was introduced to make the Sacrament touchy feel-goody. I positively hate the word, and will correct someone when they use it.
[right][snapback]885060[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are right!

I abhore the word transutransubstantiation and theoketos because they only appeared after certain councils!

Cmon Thomas if we use your line of logic then no council is productive.

A schola is Latin for "school." The full phrase is schola cantorum, meaning a school of singers or a choir.

Edited by Paphnutius

[quote]You are right!

I abhore the word transutransubstantiation and theoketos because they only appeared after certain councils!

Cmon Thomas if we use your line of logic then no council is productive. [/quote]

WIth "Reconciliation" there were already two much better words: Confession and Penance.

Fidei Defensor

You confess your sins, you are reconciled to God and the Church, and you do a penance. I dont see a problem with the usage of the word.

My dog tags clearly state my religion as Roman Catholic. The U.S. Gubmint couldn't possibly be wrong, could it? :)

fwiw, the Schola is the part of the choir (men only) that sings the propers of the Mass as opposed to the entire choir that sings the ordinary and any hymns.

I don't care, honestly, though I usually call it Confession. I just prefer using Confession, for me it's a matter of personal preference, not whether the name came from Vatican II (a perfectly legitimate and infallible council, by the way)

Fidei Defensor

Besides, it doesnt really matter what you call it, it will still be the same thing, which is reconciling with God, and with the Church. So, call it whatever, but it will still be the same thing, which would be reconciliation.

Nope, doesn't bother me. However, I call it Confession. As in I am going to Confession. However, I receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Go figure......

all three of those things (confession, penance, reconciliation) all happen in the Sacrament, so it's not like you're calling it something it's not

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:52 PM']WIth "Reconciliation" there were already two much better words: Confession and Penance.
[right][snapback]885194[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
At least that is a step away from you stating that you dislike it simply because of it being begun with Vat II (not true really, but that seems to be Era's point here).

Well as others have pointed out, Confession and Penance only refer to parts of the Sacrament while Reconciliation refers to the entire act. So there were not really two better words in use for theologians from around the world in conjunction with the pope decided that another word will also be suitable. So it would be helpful if you would offer an argument as to why you think the other word exclude the use of Reconciliation, and do not use Tradition for 1) a council used (remember that the Church speaks with the voice of Christ [Lk 10:16]) 2) it was not started by Vatican II, but is indeed a biblical word.