An Old School Catholic Message Board

God=Energy?

infinitelord1

[quote]This dichotomy can only be reconciled by acknowledging that in God there are no accidents. He alone is pure simplicity, and in Him all things are One in substantiality. Drawing an ontological distinction between God's Consciousness and "God's Energy" is just as futile as trying to make God's Mercy and God's Justice ontologically distinct.
[/quote]Jeff...this harkens me back to the discussion on having more than one infinite being. I stated that since God is purely simple then all of His [i]divine[/i] attributes are in reality one and no real distinction. You seemed to disagree with this. Could I bother you for an explination for this seems to affirm what I stated. Perhaps I am missing something staring me in the face (would not be ther first time :wall: )

infinitelord1

[quote name='Myles' date='Feb 12 2006, 05:17 PM']You are deeply misunderstanding the nature of created being and how it relates to uncreated being. Of course you cannot understand God's infinity because His infinity is not the infinity of created essence. Rather what God is provides the template of the infinity of created essence and whatever similarity God shares with the world there is an even greater dissimilarity to make it null and void. Yes God is everywhere but not in the sense that you are conceiving it.

As I said before your ideas are purely Neoplatonist and would undermine the entire Catholic faith since your emanationism would prevent any meaningful understanding of the Crucifixion as redemptive and grace giving. By passing the Immanent nature of God which according to your schema would make for a God who is certainly not impassible, transcendent and the like how can the image of God be restored within us when we're already part of the essence of God? How can we recieve grace to become children of God if we are already part of God? Your ideas would reduce the economy of salvation to being centred on gnosis, on coming to the realisation that we are all god because God as energy is in us all. This would make Jesus not the only begotten Son as the Creeds say but a mere manifestation of the divine essence which is equally present in us all.

This idea whether advanced by Valentinians, Manichaeans, Albigensians or whatever has always been roundly and absolutely condemned by the Church. I would strongly suggest that you read St Augustine's anti-manichean works to help you apprehend the incompatibility of the views your advancing with the Catholic and Apostolic faith.
[right][snapback]884997[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
this is the difference between my theory and your stance.......you seem to overlook my theory of energy being infinite furthermore you look at energy as being something that was created. My theory suggests that god is energy and energy (god) is infinite. And i am not at all suggesting that energy (alone) is our creator, i am saying that god is. And who is really to say that energy lacks the qualitys of god? Nobody. That is definately a grey area in my theory. My theory doesnt suggest that energy has intelligence or love or anything. I wish i could say that energy had attributes such as this but i cant because if it did.......then that would suggest that my theory is more accurate than yours. Be more specific when you say my theory contradicts the catholc faith......because so far........i dont see it. If you talk about transcendence that is about the only arguement that you can come up with. But its always possible that transcendence is a matter of consciousness (something that nobody can fully define)........and maybe its a matter of belief (or faith).

Edited by infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:13 PM']this is the difference between my theory and your stance.......you seem to overlook my theory of energy being infinite furthermore you look at energy as being something that was created. My theory suggests that god is energy and energy (god) is infinite. And i am not at all suggesting that energy (alone) is our creator, i am saying that god is. And who is really to say that energy lacks the qualitys of god? Nobody. That is definately a grey area in my theory. My theory doesnt suggest that energy has intelligence or love or anything. I wish i could say that energy had attributes such as this but i cant because if it did.......then that would suggest that my theory is more accurate than yours.
[right][snapback]885139[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think that you are presumming that since we know of nothing that can create energy that it must have always existed. You have not proven that God could not have created energy at the beginning of time at a set number and made it by its nature what it is.

infinitelord1

i need curtins' help here.......he gave me a scripture quote that was talking about faith. And basically the quote was saying that if you believe you are healed you are healed. Maybe just maybe transcendence is a matter of consciousness.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:18 PM']I think that you are presumming that since we know of nothing that can create energy that it must have always existed. You have not proven that God could not have created energy at the beginning of time at a set number and made it by its nature what it is.
[right][snapback]885151[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
at the same time im not denying that energy could have been created by god. Since none of this is proof and it is just a mere theory. But if energy is god then it wasnt created. Hence energy cannot be created nor destroyed. And also, when one talks about gods will.........my theory doesnt deny that god can will anything.......it actually supports this. If god is energy and energy is everything than god can will anything.......he could lift a piece of paper off the floor. Has anybody heard of Chris Angel? He is a magician and has his own tv show called "mind freak". This guy can levitate and levitate other people. I dont believe this is a matter of optical illusion. I believe this man is evil and he is manipulating energy (possibly god) for his own benefits. I hate to say the word manipulate because he is not at all above god........god could crush him if he so pleased.

Edited by infinitelord1