An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Oxford Review

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Is NOR a good representative of Catholicism?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

I like them! But it's not the kind of thing I'd give to one of my Non-Catholic friends. Whereas I might give them a different magazine, like Crisis or First Things.

NOR are pugnatious and they'll take on anyone whether generally regarded as 'liberal' or 'conversative'. I like their style but I know that many people on both sides of the 'divide' certainly dont appreciate their kick butt take names approach to journalism.

I've never subscribed or read the magazine, though I have seen their ads all over other "conservative" Catholic publications - "You mean Father Bozo no longer amuses you?" and the like.
Their ads could get a little obnoxious.

I read someone on here referring to NOR as "heretical," though I'm not sure what exactly his basis was for this.

Generally I'm a fan of controversy, but not if it's simply indulged in for its own sake (as some publications seem to do).

If I were to recommend one Catholic magazine to people in general, I'd recommend [i]This Rock[/i]. It is the best apologetics magazine out there, and is one of the few Catholic mags out there that doesn't have a political "spin" - though liberals of course would consider it "conservative."

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I think some of NOR's ads are funny. My major beef with them us the use of the "f" word for homosexuals in an article a while back. It has led to the canceling of many of their subscriptions and strikes me as stupid and uncharitable.

[url="http://pblosser.blogspot.com/"]The Pertinacious Papist[/url] Dr Philip Blosser has had a bit to say about this lately. Scroll down, it starts with the second current entry.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

I can't seem to figure this magazine out.

I subscribed to it due to many good references (Karl Keating and a few speakers form EWTN etc.)
While I agree with many of their opinions regarding the state of the Church (Heretics everywhere you look, Liturgical abuses commonplace, and heterodoxy running rampant), I do not agree with resenting the Supreme Pontifff base on decisions he has made.

Saying that "Benedict XVI has forfeited his conservative credentials. Benedict has given away the store."

I mean, show some respect for the Chair of Peter!

As far as their cartoons go; Some I will admit are amusing. However, some are offensive (eg. Two seminarians kneeling side by side with obviously feminine posture, apprearing to be attracted to each other).
This is making a mockery of a very real (and sad) problem.

TheOliverOrder88

I found some of their thoughts and ads amusing and near offensive...

I guess it tips the balance considering some other publications.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Feb 16 2006, 10:04 PM']Whats NOR??
[right][snapback]889574[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.newoxfordreview.org/"]New Oxford Review[/url]