An Old School Catholic Message Board

drinking

dairygirl4u2c

Is drinking sinful when it's to a point that you can feel a slight buzz?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No. If you feel a slight buzz you are not going to be doing stupid and crazy things. You won't be out of control and able to be either taken advantage of or able to do something stupid without really being conscious of it.

Laudate_Dominum

If the point is to chillax and party I don't think it's bad. It's bad when it is self destructive.
But then I suppose even drinking merely for a slight effect could be bad if it was habitual. If every night after work you had to get slightly tanked to function I'd say there was a problem. But if you're at a wedding and for celebration's sake you'd like to let your hair down a little bit and drink to hilarity I'd say this could even be commendable. :hehehe:

Guest VaticanFan

I feel that drinking, be it to get a buzz, party, or any other reason is not so much a sin, however it is putting yourself into the temptation to sin. If one drink will lower your inhabitions, you are intentionally lower your defenses to the Devil, who as it says in the Bible, is Prowling around seeking the ruin of souls. So it may not be a sin, however it is in my opinion dumb because it can lead very easily to self destruction of your soul.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='VaticanFan' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:15 PM']I feel that drinking, be it to get a buzz, party, or any other reason is not so much a sin, however it is putting yourself into the temptation to sin.  If one drink will lower your inhabitions, you are intentionally lower your defenses to the Devil, who as it says in the Bible, is Prowling around seeking the ruin of souls. So it may not be a sin, however it is in my opinion dumb because it can lead very easily to self destruction of your soul.
[right][snapback]883966[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
nah. it depends on the context, the state of soul of the person, etc.. lots of things.. that's why I don't like the question in the first place, drinking in itself is neutral.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:52 PM']I strongly dislike drinking. One or two beers puts me to sleep.
[right][snapback]883988[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
lucky. I wish I could get to sleep so easily.

[quote name='VaticanFan' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:15 PM']I feel that drinking, be it to get a buzz, party, or any other reason is not so much a sin, however it is putting yourself into the temptation to sin.  If one drink will lower your inhabitions, you are intentionally lower your defenses to the Devil, who as it says in the Bible, is Prowling around seeking the ruin of souls. So it may not be a sin, however it is in my opinion dumb because it can lead very easily to self destruction of your soul.
[right][snapback]883966[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Having a single beer or so would not seriously lower the inhibitions of most people, or lead people into sin (unless they are someone who cannot have one drink without having another, and another . . .)

If any drinking in itself was something that easily leads to the destruction of the soul, Our Lord would not have turned water into wine, nor drank wine at the Last Supper.

Christ does not encourage that which leads to the destruction of the soul - "Lead us not into temptation."

personally, i feel that if you are drinking for a buzz, even a small one you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

I don't think we should ever act like that. it is like placing our own pleasure where God should be.

if you say getting drunk is bad. that is a BIG difference from saying that getting drunk is a sin!!!
to those who say it is a sin, i ask why. WHY is getting drunk a sin?

it may not be the smart thing to do but that's a far cry from something being sinful.

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 11 2006, 10:41 PM']personally, i feel that if you are drinking for a buzz, even a small one you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

I don't think we should ever act like that. it is like placing our own pleasure where God should be.
[right][snapback]884413[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
St. Thomas says to drink to "hilarity"

That's an obvious affect of alcohol, and it's an obvious reason for drinking alcohol.

If you drink it both to enjoy the tast and to enjoy the natural effects of it, in moderation, those are right reasons. And of course both of those reasons ultimately point towards thanking God for it.