An Old School Catholic Message Board

interesting thing that came up....

dspen2005

hey guys,
in one of my theology classes, here at the sem.... an interesting point came up. Catholic Dogma and Doctrine pervades all that we do within and without the Church; CAnon Law is no exception. Now, canon Law states that the bond of marriage ends at the death of one or both spouses. since, Canon Law derives itself from Catholic Dogma and Doctrine, why do we have a Feast of the Holy Family, if after death the marriage bond is ended?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:03 PM']hey guys,
in one of my theology classes, here at the sem.... an interesting point came up.  Catholic Dogma and Doctrine pervades all that we do within and without the Church; CAnon Law is no exception.  Now, canon Law states that the bond of marriage ends at the death of one or both spouses.  since, Canon Law derives itself from Catholic Dogma and Doctrine, why do we have a Feast of the Holy Family, if after death the marriage bond is ended?
[right][snapback]882505[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Family Bond has not ended.

That's a good answer.

And completely supported by Tradition...the very image of Christmas is Mother and Child. Jesus is the best Son, His Mother the best Mother. Their relationship is ALWAYS touted, a holy chain - no, THE holy chain "in saecula saeculorum."

Thanks, knight, something really good to meditate upon.

I don't think Mary and Joseph were 'married' in the Roman Catholic Church...considering Jesus' ministry began 30 years after their wedding. Therefore their nuptuals aren't necessarily bound by that canon law. That's the best I got! :P:

Once your grandparents died you still talk about them as being married, why wouldn't it be any different for Mary and Joseph? :blink:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Donna' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:34 PM']That's a good answer.

And completely supported by Tradition...the very image of Christmas is Mother and Child. Jesus is the best Son, His Mother the best Mother. Their relationship is ALWAYS touted, a holy chain  - no, THE holy chain "in saecula saeculorum."

Thanks, knight, something really good to meditate upon.
[right][snapback]882532[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are most welcomed. I would add this Joesph is the parton saint of the Church, Holy Mother Church is alot like Mary, The Church gives rebirth to Christians like Mary gave birth to Christ and we should live our lives for Christ to become like Christ. So the Holy Family is still bonded many many ways. The Holy Family is also a holy number 3 and you cant break the holy chain.

Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Veridicus' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:38 PM']I don't think Mary and Joseph were 'married' in the Roman Catholic Church...considering Jesus' ministry began 30 years after their wedding.  Therefore their nuptuals aren't necessarily bound by that canon law.  That's the best I got!  :P:
[right][snapback]882534[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've heard this question before, and a Priest answered it. Yes, Mary and Joseph indeed married in the eyes of Holy Mother Church.

I second Knight's emotion! Boy, if not them, than who?

Knight, I hope to recognize from here on out, the many examples of the Holy Family bond unable to be broken. Can think of many without even racking my brain...of course it's something I have known, but not beheld as it were.

Thank you again. I am going to try to focus my thinking on this.

Veridicus, if you haven't done so, the book "The Glories of St. Jospeh" might be an interesting read. I've heard of sections from it...it is really intense and I believe goes in depth into the royal lineage of Jospeh, and the Herodians being usurpers of the throne...etc;

"Ite Ad Jospeh" - Go To Jospeh. That was the conclusion of one of Don Bosco's mightier dreams.

My good friend says Joseph will deliver, but he will always lead one first through Egypt. I personally amend the "always" to "often". Dear Jospeh can tell if one's on their last legs and cannot go thru Egypt first. Hence the line, "whose intercession is so...prompt..." from the St. Jospeh prayer present since apostolic times.

Wow

Donna spelled Joseph wrong seven times. And she spelled them the exact same way all seven times. I was so confused I actually thought there might be a saint Jospeh.

;)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 10 2006, 07:56 AM']Wow

Donna spelled Joseph wrong seven times.  And she spelled them the exact same way all seven times.  I was so confused I actually thought there might be a saint Jospeh.
;)
[right][snapback]882790[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Maybe he's the patron saint of the perpetual typo...

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:03 PM']hey guys,
in one of my theology classes, here at the sem.... an interesting point came up.  Catholic Dogma and Doctrine pervades all that we do within and without the Church; CAnon Law is no exception.  Now, canon Law states that the bond of marriage ends at the death of one or both spouses.  since, Canon Law derives itself from Catholic Dogma and Doctrine, why do we have a Feast of the Holy Family, if after death the marriage bond is ended?
[right][snapback]882505[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The context could also be that so the living spouse could remarry without sin and guilt.

God Bless,
ironmonk

don't get me wrong... there was no questioning of the Feast on the part of the priest nor myself... but it is a point to consider about and it did make me think....

Dspen, it was a good question, thank you.

jeosphehsjeospeosje

J-o-s-p-e-t-h.

It says "Joseph"...according to the Cambridge study. ;)

However, maybe it's time to change my print size larger.

Edited by Donna