An Old School Catholic Message Board

cigarettes/alcohol vs. pot

dairygirl4u2c

Assuming you're in a country where all are legal: which is worse: regularly smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol -or- irregularly smoking pot?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mm well im not sure if smoking pot in moderation is a sin or not if it is then pot. but if its not then niether, it really gets on my nerves when people act as if beer is some sort of bomb or smoking is like jumping off a building. as long as you dont depend on it, which also gets on my nerves or cant control yourself smoking and drinking are cool. oh also taking into account laws and whatnot.

They say drinking a glass of wine per day is good for you; nop problem drinking alcohol regularly, as long as it is not in excess.

Smoking cigarettes is not that bad in my opinion, as long as you don't smoke too much (half a pack per day being the max in my opinion, but prefrerably less).

Pot on the other hand, cannot be consumed unless it is in excess. Everytime you smoke pot you mental capabilities are strained and your emotional outlook towards the world is distorted; hence you are 'drunk'.

infinitelord1

i believe marijuana is a matter of the soul.......it has negative effects on it. It is a hallucinagen (however you spell that) making you see things that arent really there.......hence you are seeing lies.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Feb 10 2006, 12:47 PM']i believe marijuana is a matter of the soul.......it has negative effects on it. It is a hallucinagen (however you spell that) making you see things that arent really there.......hence you are seeing lies.
[right][snapback]882933[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You've obviously got access to some crazy blend of pot there, mister. Marijuana alone is not hallucinogenic.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 10 2006, 08:44 AM']I've seen people high. I've seen people drunk. It's not the same thing.
[right][snapback]882841[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
me too. and if i had to choose, i'd prefer to see them high.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Feb 10 2006, 01:12 PM']me too. and if i had to choose, i'd prefer to see them high.
[right][snapback]882957[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 10 2006, 01:06 PM'] Marijuana alone is not hallucinogenic.
[right][snapback]882952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you look up info on weed, hallucinations is listed as one of the effects.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 10 2006, 01:59 PM']If you look up info on weed, hallucinations is listed as one of the effects.
[right][snapback]882998[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Turns out you're right ... my bad!

Had no idea.

Edited to say :
Actually [url="http://www.answers.com/topic/hallucinogenic-drug"]this link[/url] corresponds with what I've heard in the past.
[quote]hallucinogenic drug (həlū'sənōjĕn'ĭk) , any of a group of substances that alter consciousness; also called psychotomimetic (i.e., mimicking psychosis), mind-expanding, or psychedelic drug. The group includes mescaline, or peyote, which comes from the cactus Lophophora williamsii; psilocin and psilocybin, from the mushrooms Psilocybe mexicana and Stropharia cubensis; and LSD, synthesized from lysergic acid, found in the fungus Claviceps purpurea (see ergot). These alkaloids have also been produced synthetically. Newer hallucinogens, such as PCP (phencyclidine, or “angel dust”), a drug originally used as an anesthetic, and MDMA (“Ecstasy”), an amphetamine derivative, were common in the 1980s. [b]Marijuana has hallucinogenic properties but is pharmacologically distinct.[/b][/quote]

tough call.

I picked the second option but 30 seconds later I'm not so sure it's the right one. Either way you're hurting your body, you're depending on something else to "calm you down" or "relieve stress". I don't know too many irregular pot users. I guess there are some people who can control themselves and use it once in a while but a lot more common are potheads. And I've seen some friends have their lives destroyed by a dependancy on marijuana. I've really grown to despise it.

[quote]Pot on the other hand, cannot be consumed unless it is in excess. Everytime you smoke pot you mental capabilities are strained and your emotional outlook towards the world is distorted; hence you are 'drunk'.[/quote]

This satement makes a lot of sense to me. I can enjoy a beer because it's refreshing and I like the taste, then not have another. At no point was I "under the influence". I've never heard of anyone smoking up because they like the taste. You smoke up because you wanna get high, no other ends to those means.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 10 2006, 11:59 AM']If you look up info on weed, hallucinations is listed as one of the effects.
[right][snapback]882998[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

DUDE pot is not a hallucinagentic :blink:

i HAVE smoked pot before (don't send me to hell :shock: )

and i have never hallucinated before

how much do you have to smoke to get all that crazy

and if you smoke alot you will eventually pass out :yawn: