An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our SuperHeros the New Pagan gods?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Feb 8 2006, 11:46 PM']Dont get me wrong I'm a comic book dork, but I cant help but think our "super heros" are [color=red]alot[/color] like the old pagan gods.  Heck Thor is both a super hero and pagan god.  But what do you all think?
[right][snapback]881310[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

actually if you study the pagan gods, you'll notice that there is a duality for each of the gods. One is good the other is evil. Mercury for example was the god of speed. He was also the god of rape.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:00 PM']actually if you study the pagan gods, you'll notice that there is a duality for each of the gods.  One is good the other is evil. 
[/quote]
All the best superheroes have a interior darkness that they fight....

Batman
Spiderman
Spawn

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 9 2006, 01:19 PM']All the best superheroes have a interior darkness that they fight....

Batman
Spiderman
Spawn
[right][snapback]881887[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Martin Short

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:38 PM']Martin Short
[right][snapback]881899[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, the [i]rest of us[/i] have to fight Martin Short's inner demons. He doesn't seem to have a problem with them.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 9 2006, 01:49 PM']No, the [i]rest of us[/i] have to fight Martin Short's inner demons.  He doesn't seem to have a problem with them.
[right][snapback]881911[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good point

And he hasn't been close to heroic since Innerspace

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:53 PM']Good point

And he hasn't been close to heroic since Innerspace
[right][snapback]881916[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Martin Short (Innerspace) + Meg Ryan
Meg Ryan (Sleepless in Seatle) + Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks (Apollo 13) + [b]KEVIN BACON[/b]

KnightofChrist

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:51 PM']Super heros = pagan gods?

Welcome to Fundies "R" Us.
[right][snapback]881915[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Eh, I dont really shop there the ppl there scare me! But SuperHeros and pagan gods are alot alike. Most kids probably know more about Superman than Jesus Christ. And that is sad.

People in most cultures, throughout history, have enjoyed stories about the mighty deeds of larger-than-life heroes and superhuman beings. It's part of human nature.

I don't think there's anything wrong with reading superhero stories as long as we don't get too carried away or take them too seriously (or waste our lives away reading comics).

There's also nothing wrong with reading myths and legends about the old Greek or Norse gods, so long as we don't worship these characters.

If someone builds an altar and offers libations to Superman, that would be a problem (but if he does that, it's already obvious he's got problems to begin with!)

God's Errand Girl

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:52 AM']please use the word "instead" in lieu of "rather"
[right][snapback]881594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_above:

Something similar was brewing in my head, but you beat me to it, Cow.

(ThomasMore, small "g" gods=idols.)

God the Father

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:52 AM']please use the word "instead" in lieu of "rather"
[right][snapback]881594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Please use the term "term" rather than "word"

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:46 AM']Dont get me wrong I'm a comic book dork, but I cant help but think our "super heros" are [color=red]alot[/color] like the old pagan gods.  Heck Thor is both a super hero and pagan god.  But what do you all think?
[right][snapback]881310[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Comic book superheros are great entertainment.

I think the new pagan gods are money, tv, hedonism, and case law.

[quote name='God the Father' date='Feb 11 2006, 10:14 PM']Please use the term "term" rather than "word"
[right][snapback]884295[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Please apply the word "employ" in lieu of "use"