An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our SuperHeros the New Pagan gods?

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

Dont get me wrong I'm a comic book dork, but I cant help but think our "super heros" are [color=red]alot[/color] like the old pagan gods. Heck Thor is both a super hero and pagan god. But what do you all think?

old pagan gods are awesome for literary purposes :cool: it's natural that such archetypes would appear in literature transcending time and space.

Marvel Comics didn't necessarily go back, find a pagan god, and write a superhero for it. They wrote about heroes, just like the pagans used to write about heroes, and thus the human mind picks up on the archetypes of platonic ideal realities and writes them after our society's image.

It would be interesting to study the similarity in the preference for Batman in superhero mythology to the preference for Achilles in greek mythology... both are, in comparison to the other gods or superheroes around them, more self-made/mortal-made men... Bruce's parents left him all the money he'd need to get all the gadgets that allow him to do wildly heroic stuff; achilles's mom dipped him in the lake-- both actions of mere natural mortals without supernatural abilities-- then they both on their own power make themselves heroes. Hercules would make an interesting comparison to Superman... Clark's planets from Krypton sent him to earth, Hercules's father Zeus in heaven sends him to earth... Clark's weaknesses and dangers come from the place he came from-- kryptonite-- and Hercules is always in danger because of the gods... plus in both there tends to imerge the unwanted meddling of the parents from the other world telling him what he has to do in this world (I'm thinking the show "Smallville" for superman)... Jarel and Zeus are very similar figures

hmm who was it that first said "All the gods are one"? it was some greek who had traveled to egypt and around a vast area... I think it starts with an "h"

:cool:

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 8 2006, 11:47 PM']could you please refer to them as "idols" rather than "gods".
[right][snapback]881313[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is an appropriate term.

peacenluvbaby

Hmmm lets think about this. Pagan gods were embodiments of characteristics admirable in humans exaggerated to mythic proportions. Similarly, super-heroes embody such admirable qualities....but one key difference my friends.... :shock:
Only a MORON would worship a Superhero!!!!!! :lol_pound:

Peace! :hippie:

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:47 AM']could you please refer to them as "idols" rather than "gods".
[right][snapback]881313[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
please use the word "instead" in lieu of "rather"

youre halfright. im totally for the idea that comics and superheros are our present-day myths. but we are smart enough to know that they are not real and we most certainly dont worship them.

[quote name='Sirklawd' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:25 AM'] and we most certainly dont worship them.
[right][snapback]881636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ooh, speak for yourself.

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Cow_of_Shame/bios-mockingbird.jpg[/img]

A little 'hero worship' never hurt anyone.

Edited by Cow of Shame

I don’t think they are equal to pagan gods in this manner:

There is a definite discernment between myth and reality here. In order for them to be considered gods they would need to be worshiped and prayed to. I don’t think that is actually done. We know who the creators/ author of each super hero is. We know that they are fictitious adding exaggerated qualities to each character. Typical super hero’s and their villain counter parts tell a story, the story of Good vs. Evil. Most heroes protect the weak, do good deeds to others, and are humble and meek. The model for this I am taking is my favorite, Superman.

When you look at it isn’t the whole character of Superman really a re-vibration of the qualities of Christ? Like Christ, he is the savior and protector of the world. The strongest of the strong, He is virtually invincible, accept for kryptonite. This element of frailty connects him with our human nature; in essence Superman is both “God and Man” who dwells among us. He is both Superman and Clark Kent.

We can look to Superman and other comic book super heroes as a literary device that tell the age long tale of good vs. evil. They can point us towards Christ, the true Superman!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:52 AM']please use the word "instead" in lieu of "rather"
[right][snapback]881594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Please use "rather than" instead of "in lieu of"