An Old School Catholic Message Board

smoking marijuana

dairygirl4u2c

Should marijuana fall within the grouping of "drugs", which are immoral to partake of, within the CC?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, I'd like to know about how the difference between "recreational" and "medicinal" marijuana use applies to the whole moral discussion. There are different laws in different places, and the medicinal properties of marijuana are highly disputed, but, if somebody lives in a place where marijuana or its medicinal use is legal, shouldn't that be a decision between the sick or ill person and his or her doctor?

Of course, the Church condemns the use of intoxicating drugs in general, but how does that apply to medicinal drugs? Many drugs which can be lawfully used to treat illnesses or reduce pain can have an intoxicating effect. That's why there's always a warning not to drive or operate heavy machinery on the label. If one's doctor approved, and one lived in a place where medicinal marijuana is legal, how would that be any different?

Furthermore, with reference to other drugs, especially narcotics, what if it was necessary to dispense or administer small amounts of drugs to treat addiction? Would it still be sinful, or immoral, to provide small amounts of drugs to sick addicts with the purpose of ultimately curing them and restoring them to health?

Finally, if one wishes to prohibit any drugs or substances which have an intoxicating effect or ruinous to one's health, why not make alcohol illegal, except in the context of religious ceremonies, or tobacco? And, what we do we make of marijuana use for religious purposes in the context of the First Amendment statement that "Congress shall make no law respecting (i.e. regarding) an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise of," keeping in mind that the U.S. Constitution does not distinguish between true religion and false?

If you would use drugs when you are in perfect health, that would constitute recreational use. If you would use them as a way of relieving the effects of some disease or condition that you have contracted, that would be medicinal use.

Many intoxicating drugs can be used medicinally with no moral qualms. (Obviously this should be done under supervision of a doctor.)

If you are trying to free a person from their addiction by giving them small doses to wean them off, there is nothing objectionable. (The would have to be the best method you can use, however. And it probably wouldn't be enough to get the person high.)

alcohol has health benefits when used in moderation. it would be silly to claim that something is detrimental to a person's health just because excessive use of it is detrimental. A person can actually die of drinking too much water, but it would be stupid to outlaw water.

i hope that answers your questions.

Pax Christi,
Joe :)

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Feb 11 2006, 03:13 AM']of course cigs are not in the same category as marijuana, nor can they necessarily be considered always bad

and pipe tobacco smoking is simply divine :cool:
[right][snapback]883740[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Woe people of the West, stuck with methods lacking in heavenly delight. The Hooka is soo much a better method (tho a lot worse for your health if overused :)). So many flavors to choose from, you can even mix. I smoke it once every year or two years with family or friends in Lebanon (or the ones in America that have it).

I bought a hookah last time I was in Baghdad. It's really good. I used to smoke it with an Iraqi translator, name of "Mike." I like the apple-flavored tobacco.

[quote]alcohol has health benefits when used in moderation. it would be silly to claim that something is detrimental to a person's health just because excessive use of it is detrimental. A person can actually die of drinking too much water, but it would be stupid to outlaw water. [/quote]

I've also heard the same thing said about marijuana.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I know this thread has pretty much been killed, but I noticed that no one really brought up lung cancer. You have a much higher chance of getting lung cancer from smoking marijuana than you do cigarettes, mostly because you hold it in as long as possible. I've seen it too many times, a little never stays a little, it just becomes more and more. It's a mortal sin to intentionally mentally incapacitate yourself. I had something else to say, but I forgot. And then I realized that no one cares anyway.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Feb 8 2006, 10:13 AM']Oh my... ever heard of LUNG CANCER?  Did you know smoking one joint is like smoking 5 cigs?
[right][snapback]880423[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

mm, im not sure if that's accurate, could be less, could be more, but either way lung cancer is usually a consequence of irresponsible use. im not saying mj is moral or immoral, im just saying some arguments against it are pretty weak, i mean in that case why not outlaw smoking 5 cigs also?

Edited by bx_racer

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Feb 9 2006, 07:55 PM']The Pope hates dope, and he works for the Man up stairs so beware!  Burning one now aint worth burning in the lake of fire later.
[right][snapback]882499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well if the Pope is against it, that might make more of an argument. but where does it say that?

Edited by bx_racer

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 7 2006, 06:05 PM']Marijuana will definetly make you eat more cookies
[right][snapback]879297[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
lol. :lol_roll:

MichaelFilo

We are to obey the law unless it should be contradictory to our morals. That is the reason not to smoke.

We are certainly no protestants, and if I may have a beer or put a little tobacco at the end of my pipe once in while, I see no reaosn why I cannot light up a little weed and enjoy the effects. It has, believe it or not, some medical value (as does alcohol) but can be used in unneccessary amounts, but in the same way as one knows not to drink too much, so too does one know not to smoke too much.

God bless,
Mikey

stbernardLT

[quote name='MichaelFilo' post='954269' date='Apr 19 2006, 04:07 PM']
We are to obey the law unless it should be contradictory to our morals. That is the reason not to smoke.

We are certainly no protestants, and if I may have a beer or put a little tobacco at the end of my pipe once in while, I see no reaosn why I cannot light up a little weed and enjoy the effects. It has, believe it or not, some medical value (as does alcohol) but can be used in unneccessary amounts, but in the same way as one knows not to drink too much, so too does one know not to smoke too much.

God bless,
Mikey
[/quote]

People who put weed in the same category as tabacco and alcohol are silly.

MichaelFilo

People who make assanine ad hominem attacks are morons... woops that makes two of us.

Really, well, sure, I can find a traditional reason to keep alcohol in it's own seperate little stock pile... but tobacco, I can't find tradition or the Bible that says it's in the clear for ok drugs.

God bless,
Mikey

i've come to a conclusion about smoking pot. the reason i know it's not good: it promotes a false sense of humility, and a false sense of patience.

MichaelFilo

Expound please. I would never put the drug to my lips as long as it is illegal, but I fear this is more a social restriction than anything else, so I'm interested (of course, it'd probably be infintly more interesting if you could use an example that doesn't involve burn outs, but those that use it recreationally, as would a Catholic drinking alcohol)

God bless,
Mikey

This artical offers good insight about why tobacco is ok and marijuana isn't:

[url="http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9704/foley.html"]http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9704/foley.html[/url]

not so much from a moral perspective but it still draws the line in the sand between them so that you can legitimately divide them into moral categories.