An Old School Catholic Message Board

drinking alcohol

dairygirl4u2c

Was it a sin for the people who rebelled against prohibition to drink/sell alcohol, noting that drinking is morally licit within the CC?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Prohibition was EVIL! Drinking is NOT BAD when done in moderation. Drinking is only bad when you get drunk! It is INSANE how some people demonize drinking, making it sound as if someone who has a beer once a week is evil even if he is a good person. The same goes for smoking.

Breaking the law, unless it goes against God's law, is a sin.

Drinking alcohol during prohibition was a sin if it was illegal to drink it.

Was it illegal to sell it or to drink it?

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote]Breaking the law, unless it goes against God's law, is a sin.

God Bless,
ironmonk[/quote]

no alchohol DOES go against God's law. You MUST have wine for the Mass, and one of the traditions of St John's day is to have a bottle of wine blessed and add some cloves to it. It's called "St. John's Love"

dairygirl4u2c

They actually made an exception for booze in the CC back then..
But that's sorta off topic to the main point of this thread.

I'd sorta like more of a reason why it was not bad than "just cause". I always thought it was in the CC sinful to break the law, which is reinforced by the fact that Iron who knows a lot about hte CC says that it's sinful, yet you all are saying it's not.
That all the more reason for you to state why it's not with more explaination.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:13 PM']Prohibition was EVIL!
[/quote]
You'd think that you'd get a bit more fresh air, out in Kansas....

crazymaine catholic

as much as i would like to say it's ok for people to drink in moderation, regardless of legal age, considering the catechism, i would probably have to say that yes, drinking alcohol if it's prohibited would be wrong. i should use myself as an example. i never drank until i was 21, which was last june. yeah, i have to say drinking when it's illegal is sinful.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Feb 7 2006, 06:38 PM']Breaking the law, unless it goes against God's law, is a sin.

God Bless,
ironmonk
[right][snapback]879544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Please Ironmonk, tell me where the government gets the right to tell me what to eat and drink? This was just a puritanical abuse of the government's power.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:46 PM']no alchohol DOES go against God's law. You MUST have wine for the Mass, and one of the traditions of St John's day is to have a bottle of wine blessed and add some cloves to it. It's called "St. John's Love"
[right][snapback]879557[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Bro,

"No alcohol" does not go against God's law.

sidemunch88,

It doesn't matter if the government is abusive to us, we are to submit ourselves to those in authority... it is God that allows them to have power.

If we suffer unjustly then we will have reward in Heaven.

[b]Romans 13:1 [/b]
Let every person be subordinate to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been established by God.
[b]2 [/b]Therefore, whoever resists authority opposes what God has appointed, and those who oppose it will bring judgment upon themselves.
[b]3 [/b]For rulers are not a cause of fear to good conduct, but to evil. Do you wish to have no fear of authority? Then do what is good and you will receive approval from it,
[b]4 [/b]for it is a servant of God for your good. But if you do evil, be afraid, for it does not bear the sword without purpose; it is the servant of God to inflict wrath on the evildoer.
[b]5 [/b]Therefore, it is necessary to be subject not only because of the wrath but also because of conscience.
[b]6 [/b]This is why you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
[b]7 [/b]Pay to all their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, toll to whom toll is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

God Bless,
ironmonk