An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harmony in Church Music

photosynthesis

i have high school girls who NEVER EVER sing at mass. i tried explaining to them that God thinks their voices sound beautiful but they aren't buying it!

if only someone had taught them to sing in elementary. or, really, if only their parents took them to mass on sundays so that they would actually know the songs and mass parts. :club:

I don't normally sing at Mass...

Then again, it's 1) not in my range and 2) impossible to sing since I'm sick, and 3) I'm not part of the monk choir at the church I go to. :)

music, even when sung with complete sincerity, that is bad, out of tune or rythm makes for bad liturgy. Why? Because it can cause distraction for both the faithful and the priest. When a hymn is sung out of tune, the priest may likely get distracted by that occurrence. For this reason, good, well-tuned music is vital because it draws the faithful into prayer and deeper into communion w/ Our Lord.

photosynthesis

I agree that music ideally should be sung in tune and the selections should be appropriate for the liturgical year and orthodox.

But we must never deny people their right to worship God through the singing of hymns even if they have no ability to sing. Even if it gives me a migraine listening to it.

cmotherofpirl

It would be ideal to have a well trained congregation, but since kids today are evidently not taught to sing, I doubt it will happen. Father sings all the hymns at daily mass sans organist or anyone who can carry a tune, and I think its time off of purgatory to attend and not cringe.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Feb 9 2006, 10:55 AM']Ah.
In catholic school we had music every Friday, everyone was required to sing, even if they couldn't. :)
Sister said even if you couldn't sing well, God appreciated the effort.
[right][snapback]881678[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
my dad said he was in that same situation at his catholic school.

except after much effort, they had to make him the only exception ever in the history of the school!

[quote name='Rick777' date='Feb 7 2006, 05:54 PM']What exactly is the symbolism of the whole thing?
[right][snapback]878463[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've said it before but it still holds true.....

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth :rolleyes:

on the topic..... most catholics seem to be tone deaf. Some days during Mass in the parish I think so this is what purgatory is like :ohno:

Edited by cappie

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:05 PM']I agree that music ideally should be sung in tune and the selections should be appropriate for the liturgical year and orthodox.

But we must never deny people their right to worship God through the singing of hymns even if they have no ability to sing.  Even if it gives me a migraine listening to it.
[right][snapback]882567[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i agree.... i was speaking in the context of having a choir that is proficient and competent in the repertoire of Sacred Music.