An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harmony in Church Music

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

How important is harmony in the music of the Church? It always seems that whenever and wherever I go to Mass, the music is lacking in harmony. The whole congregation sings in unison. Is there a theological reason why? Is it supposed to symbolize the unity of the Church? Or is it because a lot of parishes have lame choirs and they fail to provide harmony in the Mass? Is it because Catholics lack vocal ability?

Sometimes I wish we had more harmony. Sometimes, during the Mass settings I'll sing along in harmony, instead of going with the melody. Maybe it's the inner alto in me, compulsively singing the alto part. Or maybe it's because the mass settings are too high for me and I like singing in my range. It could be because I like things to sound good. Perhaps it's a little bit of everything :D:

One thing that really grosses me out, though, is when people harmonize in Gregorian Chant. It sounds so...wrong. It's one thing if you're singing the Mass of the Angels and the Saints, or a hymn, but it's another thing altogether when it's the [i]Tantum Ergo[/i]. You just shouldn't harmonize during the [i]Tantum Ergo[/i].

Am I crazy?

missionseeker

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you're musical. Sometimes I'll hear music in Mass that's just awful and I'll comment about to my family and they'll be like

I didn't think it sounded bad.

Of course, they are not musical at all.
I think I'm adopted. lol

photosynthesis

yeah, I am kind of a music snob. I have to work on that... because when I hear someone harmonizing during the Tantum Ergo, I shouldn't let that distract me from the beauty of the Blessed Sacrament.

But still..

the real question is, how does all this harmonizing relate to pipe smoking?

I mean, if you're so busy harmonizing all the time, you never have time to smoke a pipe!

lol jk, just gettin you back for focusin my pipe thread on music :P:

:hijack:

well, unless you're GK Chesterton, JRR Tolkein, CS Lewis, or Jimmy Akin... then it's super cool

for everyone else, it's just wicked awesome... but the heat of the ember in the pipe keeps it from being cool at all.

well, unless you're GK Chesterton, JRR Tolkein, CS Lewis, or Jimmy Akin... then it's super cool

for everyone else, it's just wicked awesome... but the heat of the ember in the pipe keeps it from being cool at all.