An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prisoner Rape

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

[url="http://www.spr.org/"]http://www.spr.org/[/url]

I was talking to a former supervisor who has worked as a librarian in a state penitentiary and I asked him about prisoner rape, specifically, why it happens when the facilities are secured and when the prisoners are monitored.

He said it is because the guards find it funny. That's sick!

I told him that it doesn't make sense for the Department of <b>Corrections</b> not to crack down on this if prison is really about rehabilitation. Basically, we have criminals who are allowed to rape and prisoners who are being raped and most of both of these are going to be released at some point. Do you really want either one out on the streets?

Many prisons in Texas are owned and managed by private companies. God willing, I am going to hold them accountable for this when I get my J.D. :)

photosynthesis

Prisons should be about rehabilitation, but it's delusional to think that the prisons of today (or any day) have actually come close to doing that.

No one deserves to be raped, anywhere.

You should watch the Discovery stuff on prison life. I think it was called "Oz".

Most prisons are not about rehab. They are about giving the person such a horrible life that they will not want to go back.

They call it "punked". There is a lot of corruption in the prisons... how else could they be getting all the drugs they want?

Some of the new prisons are much better and actually try to rehab them.

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 6 2006, 05:49 PM']Oz was on HBO.  I loved the show but it didn't do a good job of reflecting prison life accurately
[right][snapback]877639[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Then that's not what it was titled... I'll try to find it.

It was either Discovery or the Learning Channel that had a few documentaries on prisons.

This might have been one of them...
[url="http://times.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=1&cpi=53653&gid=0&channel=DTC"]http://times.discovery.com/tvlistings/epis...d=0&channel=DTC[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 6 2006, 05:49 PM']Oz was on HBO.  I loved the show but it didn't do a good job of reflecting prison life accurately
[right][snapback]877639[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Experienced a bit of 'accurate' prison life, eh?

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 6 2006, 05:15 PM']Experienced a bit of 'accurate' prison life, eh?
[right][snapback]877664[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Eight years of experience

Birgitta Noel

Why is this an inappropriate topic? :unsure:

It's also interesting to look at the type of health care prisoners receive. It is often (though not always) inadequate, and there is a big problem looming with the greying of the prisons and dementia, etc. which is compounded by AIDS related dementias. I think we'll start seeing a lot more compassionate release for non-violent offenders when states realize they are running nursing homes instead of prisons.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:43 PM']My high school English teacher wrote one of the episodes of Oz.
[right][snapback]877690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Get out! What's his name? [i]Oz[/i] was one of my favorite television series' of all-time.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:02 PM']Eight years of experience
[right][snapback]877722[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You were locked up for 8 years? :huh:

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Feb 6 2006, 05:02 PM']Eight years of experience
[right][snapback]877722[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's a long time to be locked-up, dude. I'm glad you made it!