An Old School Catholic Message Board

Most Dangerous in Western Hemisphere

peacenluvbaby

Who is the most dangerous President in the Western Hemisphere  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:11 PM']Why the heck do you think anybody's throwing out rules?  The President does have this power!  There is precedent for it!
[right][snapback]877501[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I suppose you're referring to Lincoln’s suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War and Roosevelt’s internment of Japanese Americans during World War II? We don't think of those acts today as having been Constitutional, even though they were condoned by the Supreme Court and Congress at the time.

I think those show a history of us making rash decisions based out of fear.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:17 PM']Ok, ok, I'll try not to get snarky. ^_^  funny word btw, I've never heard it in my life :huh:

Yes, I agree with that point.  Wouldn't you agree that if the Constitution gives a President power to do something when it's necessary that he should do that something?
[right][snapback]877510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Snarky is a fun word, isn't it? Unfortunately I didn't coin it myself.

Rephrase your question, if you would. What are you getting at?

Desert Walker

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 6 2006, 02:18 PM']I suppose you're referring to Lincoln’s suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War and Roosevelt’s internment of Japanese Americans during World War II? We don't think of those acts today as having been Constitutional, even though they were condoned by the Supreme Court and Congress at the time.

I think those show a history of us making rash decisions based out of fear.
[right][snapback]877511[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, that's you're opinion of those decisions. I think agree with you regarding Japanese internment. Remember though that at the time they seemed like legitimate interpretations of Constitutional Powers to the people who were charged with doing the interpreting.

We still have men charged with interpreting this document, and they will make their decisions, hopefully, without the influence of partisan politics.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:23 PM']Well, that's you're opinion of those decisions.  I think agree with you regarding Japanese internment.  Remember though that at the time they seemed like legitimate interpretations of Constitutional Powers to the people who were charged with doing the interpreting.

We still have men charged with interpreting this document, and they will make their decisions, hopefully, without the influence of partisan politics.
[right][snapback]877522[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Mine and a lot of other people. I can post plenty of support for those opinions -- they're almost universally seen as having been abuses of power. And of course they seemed like legit interpretations at the time -- fear makes rationalizations much easier to swallow.

There are precious few things that get decided without the influence of partisan politics. I'm quite sure this won't be one of them.