An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Terrorism winning

Myles Domini

Is Terrorism winning  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='sraf' date='Feb 5 2006, 05:19 PM']'Standing up for something' and deliberately inciting the anger of a particular group are not the same thing. In my eyes, it was foolish and mean of the European articles to run those cartoons again, akin to third graders who notice that another classmate gets irritated by the sound of crumpling paper, so the third graders crumple up paper all the time to get the fellow classmate annoyed. It's mean and childish.

Nowhere in Catholic teaching do we say "THOU SHALT NOT place an image of Christ in a urine sample.' But the Islamic religion does not approve of drawings of any people at all in religious works. The idea is that drawing a person for religious art is too similar to trying to make humans a la God. Silly, yes, but that's what they believe (hey, we believe that a cracker is Jesus. Silly is in the eye of the beholder). That's why they have such lovely arabesques and geometrical designs. Cartoons insulting Mohammed are insulting to Arabs in a way that very little is insulting to Catholics.

And if terrorists are winning at all, it's the ones who are sitting in the high offices right at home.
[right][snapback]876288[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you believe that Jesus' command to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind and will doesn't cover desecrating images of Christ I'd hate to see how you treat your loved ones friend. You might not be offended when sacred things are made a mockery of but I for one am.

[quote name='sraf' date='Feb 5 2006, 11:19 AM']Nowhere in Catholic teaching do we say "THOU SHALT NOT place an image of Christ in a urine sample.' [right][snapback]876288[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Someone needs to learn their Catholic teaching!

Catholic teaching does indeed strongly condemn blasphemy, which is condemned by the Second Commandment: "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in Vain."
Among the Jews, blasphemy was considered the most serious of crimes, to be punished by death by stoning.

The Cathechism of the Catholic Church 2148:
[quote][i]Blasphemy [/i]is directly opposed to the second commandment.  It consists in uttering against God--inwardly or outwardly--words of hatred, reproach or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing to respect him one's speech; in misusing God's name.  St. James condemns those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called." [b] The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things.[/b] . . .

Blasphemy is contrary the respect due God and His holy name.  It is itself a grave sin.[/quote]
Displaying a crucifix (a sacred image of Christ) in a jar of piss, or any similar such works of "art," would most certainly qualify as blasphemy.

I would also recommend Sraf reading the acts and decrees of [url="http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3819.htm"]the Seventh Oecumenical Council[/url].

Edited by Myles

Mrs. Bro. Adam

If the terrorists were winning there would be no progress in Iraq. If the terrorists were winning, they would have taken Iraq back over.

Are they winning? Absolutely not! Is it going to happen overnight? No. Is it going to be a slow ongoing process? Yes.

But they are definitely not winning.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='sraf' date='Feb 5 2006, 11:19 AM']'Standing up for something' and deliberately inciting the anger of a particular group are not the same thing. In my eyes, it was foolish and mean of the European articles to run those cartoons again, akin to third graders who notice that another classmate gets irritated by the sound of crumpling paper, so the third graders crumple up paper all the time to get the fellow classmate annoyed. It's mean and childish.

Nowhere in Catholic teaching do we say "THOU SHALT NOT place an image of Christ in a urine sample.' But the Islamic religion does not approve of drawings of any people at all in religious works. The idea is that drawing a person for religious art is too similar to trying to make humans a la God. Silly, yes, but that's what they believe (hey, we believe that a cracker is Jesus. Silly is in the eye of the beholder). That's why they have such lovely arabesques and geometrical designs. Cartoons insulting Mohammed are insulting to Arabs in a way that very little is insulting to Catholics.

And if terrorists are winning at all, it's the ones who are sitting in the high offices right at home.
[right][snapback]876288[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I find it unbelievably and incredibly mind-boggling how you seem to be completely disregarding a Christian's right to be offended by something like urine Christ art -- and at the same time, your heart bleeds for muslims being offended by what these newspapers are doing. I've heard many responses to this ordeal, but I've never heard such a backwards response like this one.

Christians ALSO have every right to take offense at what they view as sacred being desecrated. And hey, at least even our own extremists have moved beyond torching an embassy with firebombs or threatening artists with death.

Ash Wednesday

I'll also add that I can understand the repeated publication of the cartoons as being viewed as gratuitous -- that in the name of free speech, deep down some of these publishers probably just enjoy seeing these muslims get pissed off.

But to continue with the analogy of schoolchildren, perhaps Europe is starting to grow tired of the intolerant schoolyard bully that threatens them daily with violence.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Feb 8 2006, 09:03 AM']But to continue with the analogy of schoolchildren, perhaps Europe is starting to grow tired of the intolerant schoolyard bully that threatens them daily with violence.
[right][snapback]879992[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4690224.stm"]Speaking Of Which...[/url]