An Old School Catholic Message Board

death penalty for serial child molesters

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

This is from the CCC:

[quote]2266 The State's effort to contain the spread of behaviors injurious to human rights and the fundamental rules of civil coexistence corresponds to the requirement of watching over the common good. Legitimate public authority has the right and duty to inflict penalties commensurate with the gravity of the crime. the primary scope of the penalty is to redress the disorder caused by the offense. When his punishment is voluntarily accepted by the offender, it takes on the value of expiation. Moreover, punishment, in addition to preserving public order and the safety of persons, has a medicinal scope: as far as possible it should contribute to the correction of the offender.67

2267 The traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude, presupposing full ascertainment of the identity and responsibility of the offender, recourse to the death penalty, when this is the only practicable way to defend the lives of human beings effectively against the aggressor.
"If, instead, bloodless means are sufficient to defend against the aggressor and to protect the safety of persons, public authority should limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.
"Today, in fact, given the means at the State's disposal to effectively repress crime by rendering inoffensive the one who has committed it, without depriving him definitively of the possibility of redeeming himself, cases of absolute necessity for suppression of the offender 'today ... are very rare, if not practically non-existent.'[John Paul II, Evangelium vitae 56.]
[/quote]

Wouldn't some repeat offenders fit into this category?

I think child molestation should be an automatic life sentence without the possibility of parole. There is no need to put them to death.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:25 PM']I think child molestation should be an automatic life sentence without the possibility of parole. There is no need to put them to death.
[right][snapback]873373[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Torture, though. I'd be highly in favor of the torture penalty in those instances.

photosynthesis

I think that child molestors, rapists and other sexual offendors should get life imprisonment with no parole. But if that's not enough to keep society safe, then the death penalty should be used as a last resort.

theculturewarrior

I don't know as much about the criminal justice system as I would like to, but I can see two factors here: 1. Putting a prisoner to death is costly. 2. Not many prisoners go to jail and stay there.

Let me ask Sojourner, since is an insider. If serial pedophiles were given life in prisoner without parole, how many would end up back on the street versus the death penalty?

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:31 PM']I don't know as much about the criminal justice system as I would like to, but I can see two factors here: 1. Putting a prisoner to death is costly. 2. Not many prisoners go to jail and stay there.

Let me ask Sojourner, since is an insider. If serial pedophiles were given life in prisoner without parole, how many would end up back on the street versus the death penalty?
[right][snapback]873392[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Life in prison without the possibility parole means you don't get back out.

So does death.

In real terms, ostensibly there's no difference. Unless your conviction was overturned, in which case, LWP means you get to try to reclaim bits of your life, while death means you're dead.

theculturewarrior

Yeah, I guess the death penalty is a little harsh.

However, there is a certain red state I am thinking of that has 5 to 10 years and/or up to a $10.000.00 fine if I remember correctly. It's ridiculous. And the statute of limitation is ridiculously short. And this is in a conservative state!

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:38 PM']Yeah, I guess the death penalty is a little harsh.

However, there is a certain red state I am thinking of that has 5 to 10 years and/or up to a $10.000.00 fine if I remember correctly. It's ridiculous. And the statute of limitation is ridiculously short. And this is in a conservative state!
[right][snapback]873401[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What state?

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:40 PM']I'll never understand how often a murderer gets less time than someone who's carrying around crack.
[right][snapback]873406[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Me neither. Or even the same time.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:41 PM']and do you think sexual offenders can be rehabilitated?
[right][snapback]873409[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes. Any of us can be redeemed, no matter how heinous the sin.

theculturewarrior

[url="http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?citeid=69615"]http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/Deli...sp?citeid=69615[/url]

[url="http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?citeID=70298"]http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deli...sp?citeID=70298[/url]

It looks like I was reading a different version of the Oklahoma Statutes.

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:38 PM']Yeah, I guess the death penalty is a little harsh.
[right][snapback]873401[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Try being a victim of it...