An Old School Catholic Message Board

Submission in Marriage

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 8 2006, 09:10 AM']I am a lion, gazing on the savannah, my domain. 
[/quote]
[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 8 2006, 10:35 AM']  I shall eat my sons so that they will not compete with me, but my daughters shall be allowed to join their mother on the hunt, to better feed me.
[right][snapback]880129[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you have any idea of what lions actually do?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:28 AM']:wacko:
Lions aren't gerbels...
[right][snapback]881493[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Cow_of_Shame/liongerbil.jpg[/img]

franciscanheart

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 2 2006, 12:44 PM']It is a mutual submission. But in the same way male and female are equal yet different, so this submission is mutual yet essentially different. The submission of a wife is to the husband as head of the family, as the visible sign of authority. The submission of the husband is to the wife as his own flesh. Her good is his good. He must humbly submit to her wisdom and her gifts, because they have become his own. He can't make decisions despite her, but with and for her.

John Paul emphasizes that the submission is mutual because ultimately, both are subject to Christ. The relationship is an ongoing, mutual effort to discern and carry out the will of Christ. This does not abolish proper roles (man is, by nature, a leader), but it puts them in proper light. It's much like Augustine and his own conception of the episcopacy: "I am a Bishop for you, but I am a Christian with you". Headship is not an occasion for dominance, but service.
[right][snapback]873132[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:applause: i used this in "teatime with freud" (in open mic) -- i agree 100%.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:14 AM']Do you have any idea of what lions actually do?
[right][snapback]881482[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have this vague notion that male lions sleep on sun-warmed rocks between matings. The lionesses do all the work.