An Old School Catholic Message Board

Growing in Holiness this Lent

Marieteresa

Laurentina1975

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 2 2006, 11:09 PM']he slept outside for the 40 days of lent as a sacrifice.

He blogged about it.
[right][snapback]874035[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Where is this blog? :)

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:06 PM']here it is: [url="http://www.tentforlent.com/"]http://www.tentforlent.com/[/url]
[right][snapback]877587[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, I didn't know it was Matt (or M@) Smith! He used to work for LifeTeen for a church in my old diocese (Atlanta, Ga). And then after he was on Real World: New Orleans he went to work for the national LT association.

Sounds kinda interesting, I'll have to go read more of what he wrote. Thanks for the reference, Lil Red. :D:

Well, hmmm, I think that since one week AFTER Lent is up, I will be entering the PCPAs in Portsmouth, OH, I will use my Lent to 'get in' to my new schedule, and not look at it so much as 'giving up' something, but rather, more as giving my life to Jesus.

I try to go to Adoration after work each day on my way home. . .spend time with our Lord, and with God's grace, soon to be my fiance. :-D

On a lighter note, I think I will try to give up the caffeine. I didn't use to drink coffee, but after my visit to the monastery last November I STARTED! I saw the nuns drinking coffee and when I was asked if I wanted any, I said I didn't drink it. One of the novices said, "You WILL!" :lol_roll:

I also am not necessarily going to stay off my cell or computer since I won't have either, ever again, after entrance, and have a lot of friends to say farewell to. However, I think I will eliminate all secular sites, music, etc. Much more peaceful without them, don't you think? Right now, the only thing I listen to on my iPod is the 66 CDAudio Bible I got for Christmas, and a track I have of the ocean. . .good for eliminating external noise. The rest, I have pretty much gotten rid of.

Thanks for starting this post! It really makes me think. . . .

Denise

Dust's Sister

I've been thinking about Lent a lot because my birthday is always right before lent (feb. 16th) and I'm already thinking about it...

one time I gave up chocolate, caffiene AND fast food... Now, that was VERY hard, lol if y'all try to do that... I dare ya.....

for this lent I'm thinking about giving up all types of soda's and I'll only be able to drink milk and water....

I'm also thinking about giving up spending Money. I got plenty of bills to pay and I actually am trying to pay off my credit card by Easter, so that would be a great reward. Now I don't know if I can give up spending money all together, but I'm thinking about limiting myself to like $10 a week. lol

I'm also going to spend a lot more time praying then I usually do because I'm thinking about becoming a nun/sister, and I want to do whatever is in God's Will. So please pray for me. :)

Edited by Dust's Sister

• 2 weeks later...

[font="Times"][color=purple]hey folkies,
Well I guess this is the count down to Lent which starts in 10 days I guess. I pray that everyone strives to grow in holiness this Lent. Has everyone decided what they where going to give up or try to do?

In JMJ[/color][/font]

I just realized today what I should do! I'm excited, but scared I won't be able to do it.

I'm a bit of a picky eater, and sometimes I have difficulty with eating healthy, and in moderation. So I'm going to fast every day, and eat whatever my mom makes for dinner and not complain about it! And I'm going to try to cut back on the time I spend online.

St. Francis de Sales, PRAY FOR ME!

daugher-of-Mary

I have a hard time with moderation, so I think I'm just going to try and eat simply whatever is given to me with no snacking/no sweets.

Prayer wise...preparing for MI consecration with Rosary and whatnot, and spending as much time at Adoration as I can. I'm looking for a good meditation on the Passion. Any suggestions?

Ooooh I pray the 15 prayers of St Bridget of Sweden each and every day. It's amazing and the best of the Passion Prayers that I know. If you google '15 prayers of St Bridget of Sweden, it will actually give you the link for those online. It's also in the Pieta prayer book and you can buy the booklet from TAN for about a dollar. :love: