An Old School Catholic Message Board

stay away from the inpure

bx_racer

i know it says in scripture that if you are friends with someone who is lustful or drunk etc. and wont stop you should stay away from them.

well my scenario is: im starting a band and ive almost got all the music down. my drummer's coming to my house on friday to hear it and is all excited. the bad thing is he is a drinker and is underage and smokes pot. i know youre thinking peer pressure and stuff but almost whenever I want i could smoke pot, trust me. especially at my school. anyway, hes asked me himself to do it and i say no. he knows i wont do it. personally, i would, but its a sin so i say no. i stand by that. hes not the only friend i have who does it, and i never will do it. anyway he is my drummer and am I just supposed to kick him out of my band?

What's the matter with putting a little peer pressure on him to stop? Certainly lay down rules on no smoking or drinking at your place or he's out of the band...

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:59 PM']dammit
[right][snapback]871751[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry. I'll find some other thread to argue with you on?

Here, I'll argue.

Just because someone does some things you don't necessarily agree with doesn't mean you shouldn't chill with them, espically if they are a good drummer and you need one. People mess up, it's like out job. If I stayed away from the "impure" I'd be utterly alone in the world.

Now on to the nonsensical arguments:

1) Drummers in bands are ALWAYS the crazy go nuts ones. It's like a rule that drummers smoke pot and drink heavily. See any 80s band for more information.

2) You're only young once and since your police record gets erased when you turn 18 (assuming you're not), HAVE FUN. From my experience the worst the police will do is make you go to AA for a while. And you're Catholic so you just have to go to confession to be all cool with God again.

3) Jesus drank when he was your age. Maybe he smoked hooka or something too.

Less nonsensical arguments:

1) Just say no.

2) Tell him he can't drink or smell of pot in your home.

3) Take his pot and sell it. You can make 50 for an 8th of an ounce... or here you can. You can take it and keep reselling it to him... (ok that one was nonsensical).

Ok that's it. Those are the options. Good luck. I can be here to be Devil's advocate more often if you want. (BTW I'm totally not serious about nonsensical #2... Don't want to start a fight or anything).

photosynthesis

Jesus spent time with some pretty sketchy characters... prostitutes, Gentiles, lepers... He didn't condone the behavior but he did treat them like persons with dignity.

You might be the only catechist these people may know.

peacenluvbaby

Pot's not worth ruining your band about. Just make a "not when I'm around" rule or something. Lots of guys grow out of it, by the time their 27 or 30, they dont even smoke out at all.

And I agree about the crazy drummers...but they do get the ladies :lol_roll:

PS Almost all my friends smoke out on occasion, but even outside of "it's wrong" I just tell 'em I need my brain cells to get/keep a scholarship through college...it worked all the way through college. Sports is also a good reason not to smoke - plus if you're a girl, but I dont think you are...the MUNCHIES MAKE YOU FAT!!!!! :shock:

Peace! :hippie:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jan 31 2006, 09:22 PM']i know it says in scripture that if you are friends with someone who is lustful or drunk etc. and wont stop you should stay away from them.

well my scenario is: im starting a band and ive almost got all the music down. my drummer's coming to my house on friday to hear it and is all excited. the bad thing is he is a drinker and is underage and smokes pot. i know youre thinking peer pressure and stuff but almost whenever I want i could smoke pot, trust me. especially at my school. anyway, hes asked me himself to do it and i say no. he knows i wont do it. personally, i would, but its a sin so i say no. i stand by that. hes not the only friend i have who does it, and i never will do it. anyway he is my drummer and am I just supposed to kick him out of my band?
[right][snapback]871638[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Um, just becasue you don't do it now...doesn't mean you wont be pressured into it somehow later. It's tempting. I for one would'nt do that to myself or to the others in your band, bx_racer.

I don't think you should keep him. Do you have little siblings? Would he be an influence in your home, to your friends, or to you? Thats what you should ask yourself.

Hope it helps.
Kristina

Ora et Labora

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jan 31 2006, 11:55 PM']Jesus spent time with some pretty sketchy characters...  prostitutes, Gentiles, lepers...  He didn't condone the behavior but he did treat them like persons with dignity.

You might be the only catechist these people may know.
[right][snapback]871800[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That doesn't make sense. Is he Jesus?

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Feb 1 2006, 12:04 PM']Um, just becasue you don't do it now...doesn't mean you wont be pressured into it somehow later. It's tempting. I for one would'nt do that to myself or to the others in your band, bx_racer.

I don't think you should keep him. Do you have little siblings? Would he be an influence in your home, to your friends, or to you? Thats what you should ask yourself.

Hope it helps.
Kristina
[right][snapback]872176[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

he would definitely not try to get my little brothers into it hes Catholic himself, sadly, but anyway hes never showed up at my house stoned and i doubt he ever will. he has a really strict dad and ive noticed about 80% of people with really strict parents end up smoking. not that the ones with unstrict ones dont just saying, kinda ironic. honestly though, if it werent for God i would be doing it too. he knew what He was doing when he gave commandment four.

Edited by bx_racer

[quote name='philothea' date='Feb 1 2006, 01:03 AM']Sorry.  I'll find some other thread to argue with you on?
[right][snapback]871757[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
sounds good