An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beauty of Debate

ironmonk

Debate is great because people learn.

If I am wrong I win because I learn the truth when examining the other persons view and critically thinking about it.

If I am right then I win because I have helped someone learn the truth.

The only loosers are those who will not change in light of obvious revelations. There are also those that are blind to the light but ignorance is sometimes a good excuse. We can only hope to plant seeds with them. Let God do the watering.

Now, if someone says that I am wrong, I will make them work to prove it. Prove it like Dragnet - facts and just the facts.... then I'll critically examine all facts and base my views on those facts using proportional reasoning.

Hence why I am so pro-republican... Life is the first an foremost important issue, everything else is secondary. Spiritual needs outweigh physical ones. etc...

God Bless,
ironmonk
[url="http://www.CatholicSwag.com"]http://www.CatholicSwag.com[/url] <- Shirts that invite debate - Be Bold For Christ. (unless you are big man with a chin beard)

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:24 PM']Debate is great because people learn.

If I am wrong I win because I learn the truth when examining the other persons view and critically thinking about it.

The only loosers are those who will not change in light of obvious revelations. There are also those that are blind to the light but ignorance is sometimes a good excuse. We can only hope to plant seeds with them. Let God do the watering.
[right][snapback]870516[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Uh oh.

:ninja:

I agree! :P:

;)

[quote name='Colleen' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:45 PM']I think discussions are more fruitful than debates.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]870582[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I fully agree. However, I have some real questions about your major, lit criticism is horrid and that casts my ideas under a dark cloud of insanity when we agree.

[quote name='Colleen' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:45 PM']I think discussions are more fruitful than debates.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]870582[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Debates are discussions of opposing views :P:

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 31 2006, 05:24 AM']Debate is great because people learn.

Now, if someone says that I am wrong, I will make them work to prove it. Prove it like Dragnet - facts and just the facts.... then I'll critically examine all facts and base my views on those facts using proportional reasoning.

Hence why I am so pro-republican... Life is the first an foremost important issue, everything else is secondary. Spiritual needs outweigh physical ones. etc...
God Bless,
ironmonk
[url="http://www.CatholicSwag.com"]http://www.CatholicSwag.com[/url] <- Shirts that invite debate - Be Bold For Christ. (unless you are big man with a chin beard)
[/quote]

awesome

i agree

Debate, when religious, and not done in charity, can cause far more damage than good, even to the point of damning souls. Need I quote 1 Corinthians?

There. Now there is something to debate.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:24 PM']Debate is great because people learn.

God Bless,
ironmonk
[/quote]

:clap:

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 30 2006, 10:24 PM']If I am wrong I win because I learn the truth when examining the other persons view and critically thinking about it.
[/quote]

Oh, like anyone in here ever admits they are wrong....or critically thinks about the other person's point of view in order to [i]understand[/i] it, rather than just figure out how to prove they're wrong or eeeeevvvillll.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:28 AM']Oh, like anyone in here ever admits they are wrong....or critically thinks about the other person's point of view in order to [i]understand[/i] it, rather than just figure out how to prove they're wrong or eeeeevvvillll.
[right][snapback]871025[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While I will admit to the validity of your point most of the time...There are cases on this forum in which my point of view has been changed drastically.

And Brother Adam was once a raging baptist.

homeschoolmom

I've learned a lot from differing opinions and have had my opinion changed (or at least modified) from time to time... but then, I usually don't post about it.

And I usually am doing this :popcorn:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Jan 31 2006, 11:31 AM']While I will admit to the validity of your point most of the time...There are cases on this forum in which my point of view has been changed drastically.

And Brother Adam was once a raging baptist.
[right][snapback]871038[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
But I highly doubt he was bullied into Catholicism...

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 31 2006, 07:33 AM']Debates are discussions of opposing views  :P:
[right][snapback]870810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I just think a "discussion" is usually more friendly and less prone to uncharitableness. I'd much rather have a friendly, laid-back discussion than a debate. Too often I think debates get nasty and overly critical. With discussions, you don't have to worry about people tripping you up when you don't understand proper debate techniques and terminology. I think such things often hurt the discussion and cause unnecessary tension. Most people here aren't formally trained in debate or even theology. I think when we just talk over things in a friendly, non-harsh, the result is much more fruitful. I know I am much more willing to listen in that sort of setting, whether online or not.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:01 AM']Debate, when religious, and not done in charity, can cause far more damage than good, even to the point of damning souls. Need I quote 1 Corinthians?

There. Now there  is something to debate.
[right][snapback]870926[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, I won't debate that. I agree. :)