An Old School Catholic Message Board

Please read.

zabbazooey

I feel like I should post this for my own benefit as well as the whole pham :)
[b]
Litany of Humility[/b]
O Jesus! Meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
DELIVER ME DEAR JESUS.

From the desire of being loved . . .
From the desire of being extolled . . .
From the desire of being honored . . .
From the desire of being praised . . .
From the desire of being preferred . . .
From the desire of being consulted . . .
From the desire of being approved . . .
From the fear of being humiliated . . .
From the fear of being despised . . .
From the fear of suffering rebukes . . .
From the fear of being calumniated . . .
From the fear of being forgotten . . .
From the fear of being ridiculed . . .
From the fear of being wronged . . .
From the fear of being suspected . . .

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I,

That in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease,

That others may be chosen and I set aside,

That others may be praised and I unnoticed,

That others may be preferred to me in everything,

That others become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should,

[b]
Charity[/b]
From the Holy Bible: "Charity is patient, is kind; charity does not envy, is not pretentious, is not puffed up, is not ambitious, is not self-seeking, is not provoked; thinks no evil, does not rejoice over wickedness, but rejoices with the truth, bears with all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Cor. 13:4-7). To have Charity is to love God above all things for Himself and be ready to renounce all created things rather than offend Him by serious sin. (See Matt. 22:36-40)

From the fear of being calumniated . . .

deliver me Jesus!

hey it's happened very recently to some great friends of mine, and I'm scared it will happen to me, too. so i like that intention particularly at the moment.

What a beautiful litany.
I have a book on the spiritual life of the litany's author. it's realllllly old.

ThyWillBeDone

Wow I posted that message right before class, I was in a big hurry and well I guess it shows. It is full of typos. Ha ha, well excuse my bad typing.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='friarMatt' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:53 PM']be careful about praying for humilty...the Lord will give you oppurtunities to use it...
[right][snapback]870590[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I always pray "Lord, grant me humility but don't let me be humiliated."

Yeah, I pray that if He wills me to be publicly humbled - that He will grant me the grace to accept it. :) It's a beautiful litany though, and sometimes it can be quite hard to pray!!

peacenluvbaby

It seems contradictory to ask to be delivered from a desire to be loved, when Jesus asks us to love him (and presumably desires that we do). Shouldn't we follow his example?

Peace! :hippie:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='peacenluvbaby' date='Feb 2 2006, 06:01 AM']It seems contradictory to ask to be delivered from a desire to be loved, when Jesus asks us to love him (and presumably desires that we do).  Shouldn't we follow his example?

Peace! :hippie:
[right][snapback]872806[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I believe, by a 'desire to be loved' what the litany means is a self serving desire. I want people to love me, I want to be accepted, I want to be popular, I want I want I want. That's different from the love that Jesus preaches. He's asking us not to put ourselves first, but to put God first. To be remade in His image, instead of wanting to remake Him (and others) into ours. If we transform our love into a selfless love, we won't then love simply to be loved in return, but love the way Blessed Mother Teresa loved and all the saints loved. . . because they saw Jesus in the 'other' and loved them for His sake. . .not for their own.

God bless you,

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 12 2006, 11:50 PM']I believe, by a 'desire to be loved' what the litany means is a self serving desire.  I want people to love me, I want to be accepted, I want to be popular, I want I want I want.  That's different  from the love that Jesus preaches.  He's asking us not to put ourselves first, but to put God first.  To be remade in His image, instead of wanting to remake Him  (and others) into ours.  If we transform our love into a selfless love, we won't then love simply to be loved in return, but love the way Blessed Mother Teresa loved and all the saints loved. . . because they saw Jesus in the 'other' and loved them for His sake. . .not for their own.

God bless you,
[right][snapback]885495[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

awesome post!!!! you couldnt have said it better!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 12 2006, 10:02 PM']awesome post!!!! you couldnt have said it better!!!!
[right][snapback]885510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:blush: Thank you!

When I first learned about this desire to be loved, my first thought was 'huh?' because everyone wants to be loved. But nowadays, people have such a distorted view of love. People 'love' for what they can get out of it rather and are looking FOR the perfect mate instead of BEING the perfect mate. You know 'Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect.' Later, I realized that the desire to be loved, for the most part, is a human desire, rather than a spiritual one. Then, when I felt called to the religious life, and as I've learned more and more about my vocation, although I have a long way to go on my journey. . . .I realize that He wants to be loved, not for what we can 'get' from Him, etc.. . .but simply to be loved for Himself.