An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you a homophobe?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

high-grade non-homophobic=20.

Some of the questions were rather stupid.

[quote]Marriage between homosexual individuals is acceptable.[/quote]

I thought that would push me toward being "homophobic" since I strongly disagreed.

Do I feel uncomfortable around gays? Heck no, they're still human right? Half my friends are gay or bisexual, and they are well aware of how I feel. They at least respect me for my honesty, even if most dont agree with me. It doesnt change the fact that I still love them and care about them very much.

photosynthesis

I think it's stupid that they would consider someone who doesn't agree with their political views "homophobic." Nowadays, the term has been put on the same level as "racist" or "sexist."

[quote]57  -  Your score rates you as "homophobic."
In his 1996 study of 64 Caucasian, male college students, Dr. Henry Adams classed 35 participants as "non-homophobic." In 1980, a different research team found 56% of their white, male sample scored in the homophobic range. This is not conclusive, however. Dr. Adams, the researcher who helped develop this scale, writes that "a major difficulty of this area of research is in defining and measuring homophobia." Elsewhere, he cautions: Since there is no universally accepted definition of homophobia, the scales currently in use may not measure all aspects of homophobia.

[/quote]

*shrugs*

[quote name='Myles' date='Jan 31 2006, 12:41 PM']*shrugs*
[right][snapback]871157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Fear not.. I was a lvl 60 homophobe.

franciscanheart

some of those questions would have tipped the scale but they were more complicated than an agree or disagree. so i just put no answer for those. this was what i got:

[quote]23  -  Your score rates you as "high-grade non-homophobic."[/quote]

It would be interesting to poll how many guys came out as homophobic and how many girls did. I think I shall do that... I have never started a poll that I remember. This could be exciting. Maybe?

God the Father

61 - Your score rates you as "homophobic."

I'm the first to admit it. Gay people scare me. It must be something from my childhood. Like Arachnophobia. Except I'm cool with spiders.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:06 PM']

Also, the whole thing is from PBS - they are totally familiphobic with their pushing of sins as an acceptable lifestyle.

[right][snapback]870500[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, the minute I saw WGBH in the link (it's the PBS station in Boston) I knew no matter what I answered I would be labeled homophobic.

Oh, and I got 57 too.

(BTW, I like the term you use to use - moralphobe).

25 - Your score rates you as "high-grade non-homophobic."

I recently found out that a friend of mine is lesbian. To my knowledge, she doesn't have a girlfriend, not is she actively looking for one at least at this point in her life. She doesn't go to church any more and hasn't for some few years. Her dad's side of her family is really conservative judgemental Christian and her mom's side is really hardcore and atheist. If judgement is all she knows Christians to show, then what kind of witness would I be if I rejected her friendship since last fall simply because of what gender she was attracted to? As long as it does not harm my walk, I would like to remain friends with her, but I would also like to be a better witness. It would be nice if she knew how Christianity isn't just about judgement but about a love that surpasses all others and accepts all who wish it while aspiring to be better through Christ. I hope one day I will really know what it means in life to hate the sin but love the sinner in a way that really makes a difference.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Feb 1 2006, 02:39 AM']If judgement is all she knows Christians to show, then what kind of witness would I be if I rejected her friendship since last fall simply because of what gender she was attracted to?  As long as it does not harm my walk, I would like to remain friends with her, but I would also like to be a better witness.  It would be nice if she knew how Christianity isn't just about judgement but about a love that surpasses all others and accepts all who wish it while aspiring to be better through Christ.  I hope one day I will really know what it means in life to hate the sin but love the sinner in a way that really makes a difference.
[right][snapback]871827[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
One of my evangelical friends always says, "You may be the only Bible some people may read." It's true. We all should model our lives on Christ so closely that everyone we meet can meet Him through us.

Now...judgment is a tricky thing. We're not supposed to judge others, but at the same time it is clear that some behaviors are good and some are bad, from what we know in Scripture and the tradition of the Church. God has made judgments about certain things and He has revealed these judgments to us. At the same time, it is never OK to judge a person's soul, like saying "You are going to hell." Only God can decide that.

The Catholic Church calls all followers of Christ to practice works of mercy--feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, caring for the sick, etc. One of the works of mercy is "Admonish the sinner." To admonish someone is not to judge them, but to let people know in a loving way that they are sinning against God. There's a sisterly way for you to admonish your friend and show her that she is hurting herself and committing a grave sin against God. Jesus is the solution to all the world's problems, especially the problem of homosexuality. Having knowledge and sorrow of her sins will lead her to Christ, and encountering Christ through His Church will lead her to repentence, and repentence leads to reconciliation.

Light and Truth,

Christianity is filled with judging behavior, not people. Not just judging, but how to handle it. We realize sin is a poison, a sickness. And just as I wouldn't hesitate to step in for a friend addicted to alcohol or drugs or some other sin, I would step in and let it be known to my friend that homosexuality is incompatible with God's will. Acknowledging is the first step to dealing with it. What strategy is used to achieve this is best known by you.

This brings me to your friend. It seems the first challenge I see is not that she is homosexual, but is her divorce from Christianity. This is more than likely due to her homosexual choice. Of course we all know sin always separate us, but her fear could be rooted in being judged. "Being judged" could also be a smoke screen for fear of facing the truth. If I know the light of truth will expose my sin, what better to handle the situation than to stay away from the light?

What specifically should you do? While she is not active, it might be best to slowly introduce the truth to her. In the beginning, God established order from chaos. Part of that order was man and woman. And explain the forbidden fruit was "pleasing" and "good", but its prohibited access was a boundary set by God. I pray by bringing the truth to her now, she will continue to live a celibate life.

I am no expert in this field, so I would say look for some books which deal in this area.