An Old School Catholic Message Board

Assorted nun questions

Anastasia13

Do nuns get insurance?

Medical, dental, vision?

Do they always keep up there drivers licenses?

What do they do with there other posessions when they become nuns?

Edited by Light and Truth

My experience is pretty much limited but I'll answer to the best of my ability based on my daughter's experience. I imagine that the answer to these questions depend entirely on the order and the nun. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

The first two lines seems related. By insurance I'm assuming you mean medical, dental, vision? Although Sr. Lauren is still covered by my medical/dental plan she doesn't need it. All of her medical needs are taken care of by her community. I don't know, quite frankly, whether they have an insurance plan or whether they pay as they go. I suspect that since insurance is priced to cover the average person and because cloistered nuns live safe, healthy lifestyles I suspect it wouldn't be a good value for them. Maybe they have a special cut rate cloistered community discount. :idontknow:

If you meant life insurance, then I doubt it. Life insurance is meant to take care of loved ones you leave behind who are still dependant on your income and/or to pay off any remaining financial obligations that you leave behind in the event of your death. Since the PCPAs have neither dependants or financial obligations I doubt that they have life insurance.

Licenses. If they drive they need licenses. If they don't then why pay what is essentially a tax to have the privilege. The cloistered nuns at OLAM don't have licenses and don't drive even when they do leave the cloister for some reason. The externs, on the other hand, need licenses.

Possessions. This depends on a lot of things. Sr. Lauren was able to take with her some items such as shoes, under clothing, makeup, some music (approved by mother), some books such as piano and guitar music (also approved by mother), and one change of clothing which she must keep for 1 year in the event that she leaves for some reason. Everything else she either gave away to friends/family/charity or left at home. She spent quite a bit of time sorting through her possessions and deciding to whom she wanted to give them. Kind of like not only writing a will but getting to execute it too!

I hope this helps.

Michael

p.s. - yes, the makeup was a joke.

Edited by OLAM Dad

Many times in the novitiate you provide all your own insurances. Once you become a professed nun, you will be provided for generally. And we all know what insurance costs, it is quite steep.
Most sisters do keep their drivers license, some must drive in the job that they do(of course they share cars!). Even contemplative nuns do drive on occasion, taking another sister to the doctors or food shopping. I am sure it is up to the individual and the order how much they will do.
As to posssessions, you give what you can away....and that is very difficult to part with your prized possesions. There is very little that you are allowed to take with you into the convent. And most of that is clothes.
And that includes your animals, generally they will not be taken into the convent with you. It is so hard to give it all up, but isn't that why you are becoming a nun in the first place?

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I got covered for insurance beginning my prenovitiate by an insurance company that specializes for religious communities (especially with the whole poverty thing). Insurance is so important, because some of the guys are going to the doctor frequantly. I know the rule of St. Augustine does require a value of bodily health, so i can't imagine why certain other religious orders would not value.

I am only covered, because i am young, and a full time student. An older man entering, say in his thirties, would be required to cover his own insurance until beginning novitiate.

I entered without my driver's license. So i go out every week to practice driving with one of the priests. I should probably have my driver's license within a month. It is a requirement for us, because we live in community and work in various ministries.

I hear that in the old days, there was like three cars for the community of twelve. And they would have to sign out the cars in advance. They all needed licenses, but didn't all have their own cars.

Any order that is active, you should have a driver's license. I would say, that a contemplative order might not require it, but have one anyways, and then heck, you might not ever renew it after you enter.

I really can't answer that. Sr. Lauren, if i am correct, became a Franciscan. They have a stricter interpretation of poverty. I think you would have to ask the individual community.

Usually things to keep would be, a couple of articles of clothing. I remember hearing of a sister who entered at 17, and wears boots. Music and books.

Augustinian interpretation is all goods in common, but even this is loose, becausemost people don't want other's music or books all the time, but we keep a spirit of poverty, in that if i need another priests book, or wanted to listen to a cd, we wouldn't think, but to just give it.

What i did bring, besides my books and music, was my computer, dvds, and pictures of friends.

SHALOM

Laurentina1975

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 29 2006, 01:37 PM']Do nuns get insurance?

Medical, dental, vision?

[right][snapback]869321[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that you have to keep your own insurance in formation (but I AM NOT COMPLETELY SURE and don't want to "misrepresent" anyone). But it depends on the Order too.

In the Order I am discerning with, the Vocation Director stated that you need to take care of ALL of your financial aspects during Postulancy (Candidacy) as well as the Novitiate. Once you become temporarily professed they will give you insurance. You can also work during your candidacy/postulancy. But as you know in the Novitiate, you do not work (at least in the canonical year), so in my case, if I entered, I would need to have all the money for insurance saved.

In the Order I am discerning with, you do keep your license. They are apostolic, so they drive to ministry!

As far as possessions, you can leave them with your family until the conclusion of formation or your Novitiate. You can either let your family keep them or donate them to the community. (This is in the community I am in discernment with). ~ Like I said, I DO NOT want to misrepresent anyone, this statement is from my own discernment. Thanks, and hope I helped...

My best advice is to ask the particular Order you are interested in because I think they are all different. There is also canon law on possessions as well. Peace!

:)

Laurentina1975

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 29 2006, 01:37 PM']Do nuns get insurance?

Medical, dental, vision?

[right][snapback]869321[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

BTW, I LOVE the title, it's cute..."Assorted nun questions"...teehee :lol_roll:

In the order I'm joining, health insurance is covered by me for the first three years, and then they pick up the tab after I make vows. The order does pay for basic living expenses.

The driver's license, I would get to keep. It's kind of interesting because they ran into a snafu with the state of Alabama where they started a no head covering on license pictures law when some of the SIsters tried to get their licenses renewed, but then the state did away with it (but they were prepared to fight it).

I don't have a clothing list yet, so I don't know what I can bring. I know that there's something like 13 pairs of brown socks on the list, but other than that, I'm not sure. When my friend Alyssa entered the Martyrs, she could bring some books, towels (hers are neon colored), normal pajamas, slippers, running shoes that didn't have to be black like her other shoes (sandals and the nun-esque black leather shoes), and some other assorted things.

She gave away the rest of her stuff. The most random thing that was passed down to me was a roll of Hello Kitty toilet paper. The nuns did let her bring a garden gnome to put in a garden.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 29 2006, 03:30 PM']The nuns did let her bring a garden gnome to put in a garden.
[right][snapback]869423[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
OK, now that is bizarre.

I've often dreamt of joining a religious community for the express purpose of NEVER again having to see another garden gnome. I guess now I'll have to dream of being an astronaut or something.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 29 2006, 04:53 PM']OK, now that is bizarre.

I've often dreamt of joining a religious community for the express purpose of NEVER again having to see another garden gnome.  I guess now I'll have to dream of being an astronaut or something.
[right][snapback]869443[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll:

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 29 2006, 04:30 PM'] (sandals and the nun-esque black leather shoes), and some other assorted things.
[/quote]

HAHAHA my favorite part is that i know exaaaactly what you are talking about when you say "the nun-esque black leather shoes." :lol_roll:

Laurentina1975

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 29 2006, 03:30 PM']In the order I'm joining, health insurance is covered by me for the first three years, and then they pick up the tab after I make vows. The order does pay for basic living expenses.

The driver's license, I would get to keep. It's kind of interesting because they ran into a snafu with the state of Alabama where they started a no head covering on license pictures law when some of the SIsters tried to get their licenses renewed, but then the state did away with it (but they were prepared to fight it).

I don't have a clothing list yet, so I don't know what I can bring. I know that there's something like 13 pairs of brown socks on the list, but other than that, I'm not sure. When my friend Alyssa entered the Martyrs, she could bring some books, towels (hers are neon colored), normal pajamas, slippers, running shoes that didn't have to be black like her other shoes (sandals and the nun-esque black leather shoes), and some other assorted things.

She gave away the rest of her stuff. The most random thing that was passed down to me was a roll of Hello Kitty toilet paper. The nuns did let her bring a garden gnome to put in a garden.
[/quote]

Jen!

You are entering the Martyrs? In Alton?!? Awesome I am so happy for you! I love Sr. Beata! She is such a sweetheart, she always sends the best emails! You're going to be a Franciscan, that's great! You just made my day! Why didn't you tell me before!!

Peace and all good!
Lauren :clap: