An Old School Catholic Message Board

A question

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

I didnt know where else to post this:

What do you do when/if you happen to meet an Anglican "priest"...what do you call them? Father? Pastor? Thanks y'all.

Kristina

If it is indeed a man, I would call him Father, in the same way I would call a rabbi "Rabbi" or a Muslim cleric "Minister." I don't see anything wrong with it.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Nathan' date='Jan 26 2006, 05:12 PM']If it is indeed a man, I would call him Father, in the same way I would call a rabbi "Rabbi" or a Muslim cleric "Minister." I don't see anything wrong with it.
[right][snapback]866957[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would. Hes not a real priest.

Presbyter
The actual, official name for an Episcopal priest. The word is a Celtic contraction of the Greek word presbyteros, meaning "elder." The presbyter represents the bishop in a parish or mission, as he or she has since the earliest of Church times, when older members of a congregation were chosen to represent the bishop.

Priest
A special term for an ordained minister of a Roman Catholic or Episcopal or Orthodox church; In Roman circles, the term refers to those who recite the Mass, but the Episcopal Church traces the word's origin to a Celtic corruption of the official term for Clergy - Presbyters. The duty of a priest, according to the prayer book, is to baptize, preach the Word of God, and to celebrate the Eucharist, and to pronounce Absolution and Blessing in God's Name.

Priest-In-Charge
Another title for the vicar of a mission.

Rector
The head priest of a parish; the word, in Latin means "ruler." If a parish has more than one clergy, the others are called Assistant Rectors or Associate Rectors. A mission cannot have a rector. A mission has a priest-in-charge, and is often called a vicar.

Rectory
The residence of a rector; the place where an Episcopal (or Roman Catholic) clergy lives. Called a parsonage or manse in most other Christian denominations.

Reverend, The
An honorific title given to ordained clergy in most Christian churches. The correct form of address is "The Reverend John Doe," and never "Reverend John Doe."

Reverend Doctor
An ordained person [hence Reverend] who also holds some degree at the doctorate level [hence Doctor]--a way of referring to a clergy person who was also a professor, or to a member of the clergy who holds an honorary or earned doctorate. A bishop who held a doctorate would be referred to as the Right Reverend Doctor.

Reverend Father
An affectionate, devotional or pietistic way of referring to a priest who has accepted the term Father.

Right Reverend, The
A form of address for a bishop the Episcopal Church, as in The Right Reverend John Doe

Vicar
From the Latin word vicarius, meaning "a substitute." An English term referring to a priest in charge of a mission. Technically, the diocesan bishop is the rector of all diocesan missions, and vicars are appointed to their mission by the local diocesan bishop to represent him or her. The term "Vicar" is still the terminology used today to describe an English priest in who is charge of a congregation.

[quote name='journeyman' date='Jan 26 2006, 08:52 PM']Priest-In-Charge
Another title for the vicar of a mission.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Cow_of_Shame/charles0.jpg[/img]
Charles-In-Charge
Another title for the 'governess' of the Pembroke family.