An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here's an idea

philothea

I was briefly perusing a blog frequented by liberals, where they were poking fun at a political candidate. I don't recall who the candidate was.

One thing mentioned was this guy's idea to tax abortions, $10,000 per. I wonder if that sort of thing could fly. :saint:

[color=blue] if they tax the abortionist! and NOT everyone else.[/color]

Edited by Christie_M

[quote name='Christie_M' date='Jan 26 2006, 01:06 AM'][color=blue] if they tax the abortionist! and NOT everyone else.[/color]
[right][snapback]866289[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
why not tax everyone else? that'd be a nice deterrent, don't you think.

woman "I can't afford to have a baby"
pro-lifer "well, you can less afford to have an abortion. come, we'll help you out with all these programs that will give you medical care through the pregnancy and show you how to put the child up for adoption"

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jan 25 2006, 11:10 PM']why not tax everyone else?  that'd be a nice deterrent, don't you think.

woman "I can't afford to have a baby"
pro-lifer "well, you can less afford to have an abortion.  come, we'll help you out with all these programs that will give you medical care through the pregnancy and show you how to put the child up for adoption"
[right][snapback]866296[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[color=blue]:) didn't look at it that way. [/color]

BTW, tax on the abortionist (even if it was not so high as $10k) would be passed on to the customer, just like all sales taxes are.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 26 2006, 12:19 AM']Hey, they do it to cigarettes!
[right][snapback]866314[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

If nothing else, a local government could use it to put a clinic out of business.... :evil:

photosynthesis

i guess for liberals, taxing is the solution to all the world's problems. Although I guess with whatever money they might make from abortion, maybe they could use it towards more social programs for people in crisis pregnancies...

although the idea of the government profiting from murder is just sickening.

yeah I'm certainly not for this idea in principle. the idea is that it would be a deterrent and less people would actually get the abortions (and Margaret Sanger's attempted genocide of races that represent the lower classes would be halted, though of course the rich babies would still die)

a better deterrent is making abortion illegal... which the tyranical supreme court refuses to let individual states do.

[color=blue]I doubt that the govenment would use the money that they make for such a thing. :ohno: but you're right. it's horeble[/color]

[color=blue] AND then if they can't afford abbortions, they just might abondon their babies. :sadder:

what is this world comming to! [/color]

contrary to public opinion, the vast majority of the world is not so cruel and cold-hearted. that is only the "liberal elite", and that's usually because they're only dealing in theories and numbers

when any human being looks upon a baby in the flesh, their natural reaction is to make sure it is cared for in any way possible. even if it's leavin them in a basket on the doorstep of an orphanage, the vast majority of humanity has not, and the eternal optimist in my heart of hearts says will never, descend to the point where they would completely abandon that baby.

i think even that liberal elite so concerned with populations and numbers, when faced with a living and breathing baby that cannot be cared for by the mother, will do everything humanly possible to make sure it is cared for by someone.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jan 26 2006, 06:47 AM']contrary to public opinion, the vast majority of the world is not so cruel and cold-hearted.  that is only the "liberal elite", and that's usually because they're only dealing in theories and numbers

when any human being looks upon a baby in the flesh, their natural reaction is to make sure it is cared for in any way possible.  even if it's leavin them in a basket on the doorstep of an orphanage, the vast majority of humanity has not, and the eternal optimist in my heart of hearts says will never, descend to the point where they would completely abandon that baby.

i think even that liberal elite so concerned with populations and numbers, when faced with a living and breathing baby that cannot be cared for by the mother, will do everything humanly possible to make sure it is cared for by someone.
[right][snapback]866351[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Indeed, you get the feeling that [i]some[/i] spend far too much time looking at numbers and statistics and not enough relating to other human beings.