An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Jews

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Ora et Labora

I have heard the Jews are becoming less Religious nowadays...is that true?

That would be a real pity. Their not Catholic...but, I was always interested in their religion.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Jan 29 2006, 05:02 PM']I have heard the Jews are becoming less Religious nowadays...is that true?
[right][snapback]869571[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, this is true. Most Jews in Israel are secular (non-religious) Jews. The actual proportion is hard to determine. I've heard they're 60%-90% atheist. :idontknow:

After reading this topic I started doing some research on the Talmud. It's very interesting, and there is a long history of various popes condemning it.

I didn't find a reliable translation; my research was interrupted.

[quote name='philothea' date='Jan 29 2006, 06:49 PM']Yes, this is true.  Most Jews in Israel are secular (non-religious) Jews.  The actual proportion is hard to determine.  I've heard they're 60%-90% atheist.  :idontknow:

After reading this topic I started doing some research on the Talmud.  It's very interesting, and there is a long history of various popes condemning it.

I didn't find a reliable translation; my research was interrupted.
[right][snapback]869603[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

could you (if possible) elaborate on what these Pope's said?

sam

i do not know how accurate this site is since it is protestant. But i found it linked on a Catholic site. [url="http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/talmudx.htm#Talmud%20Unmasked"]http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/talmudx.h...lmud%20Unmasked[/url]

on that site is a book written in 1892 by a Catholic Priest. It has an Imparatur as well.

[quote]Rev. I. B. Pranaitis

Roman Catholic Priest; Master of Theology and Professor
of the Hebrew Language at the Imperial Ecclesiastical
Academy of the Roman Catholic Church
in Old St. Petersburg.

St. Petersburg
Printing office of the
Imperial Academy of Sciences

IMPRIMATUR
St. Petersburg,
KOZLOWSKY
Archbishop Metropolitan of Moghileff[/quote]

It is from Christus Rex et Redemptor Mundi which Catholic Culture gave a fidelity because of its anti-semetism. so i don't know if it is is reliable.
[url="http://www.christusrex.org/www1/icons/index.html"]http://www.christusrex.org/www1/icons/index.html[/url]

sam

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 29 2006, 06:25 PM']could you (if possible) elaborate on what these Pope's said?
[right][snapback]869619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
When I get more information, I will post it. I read about various papal bulls issued in the middle ages, where the Talmud was banned, and copies were collected and burned.

[quote name='philothea' date='Jan 29 2006, 07:16 PM'][quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 29 2006, 06:25 PM']
could you (if possible) elaborate on what these Pope's said?
[right][snapback]869619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
When I get more information, I will post it. I read about various papal bulls issued in the middle ages, where the Talmud was banned, and copies were collected and burned.
[right][snapback]869657[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Dang... the Talmud is 30 volumes! There isn't a free, complete English translation available.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud#External_attacks_on_the_Talmud"]Here is a summary[/url] of the dispute between the Church and the Talmud. Kind of sketchy. It's Wikipedia, so it's probably not the most scholarly discussion around, but it'll give you an idea.

The only English translation I could find is [url="http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/talmud.htm"]here[/url], and it's only ten volumes, but I don't think it's following any particular agenda.

I haven't looked at a whole lot. It's really... dense.

Also remember, before we go around tossing quotes from the Talmud, that a Jew is recommended to have advice from a Rabbai (much like Christians with Scripture and Patristic teachings) as someone untrained can easily fall into false teaching.

• 1 year later...
hyperdulia again

My Jesus is a God of His Promises. The Jewish people are still God's people. They need the fulfillment of truth contained in the revelation of the Son and in the Catholic Church, but they are still God's people. And if the first covenant is revoked why on earth should I trust the second?

hyperdulia again

The Talmud is NO LONGER the primary authority in Orthodox Judaism. The Shulchan Aruch (which for some has been superseded by the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch and other texts) is primary and definitive commentary on Rabbinic Tradition to most Orthodox Jews.

The first covenant was not revoked, it was fulfilled. The New Covenant IS God's covenant with humanity, there is no old covenant in force because the New Covenant replaced it. It fulfills all that God promised to the Jewish people; they rejected the completion of their covenant and still try to follow it as it was prior to its being completed.

The promises God made to His people are fulfilled, God held up His end of the bargain, gave them a New Israel (the Church) with dominion over the whole world. That the promises He made to His people are now extended equally to all people does not take away from this, God never said "I'll do these things and only let you share in them" He just said "I'll do these things", and He did.

The Jewish religion left the covenant when God fulfilled it.

The Jewish people are still the "chosen people" and have a great place available for them in the Catholic Church as such. They're not better or worse than the gentiles, though.

hyperdulia again

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1404868' date='Oct 18 2007, 02:09 PM'][b] That the promises He made to His people are [size=7]not [/size]extended equally to all people does not take away from this[/b], God never said "I'll do these things and only let you share in them" He just said "I'll do these things", and He did.[/quote]

The rest of this post I agree with. You do not mean this sentence, right?

what are you talking about? that's a w, not a t.

lol, it's nice to be able to edit without it saying so.

definitely a typo. ;)

hyperdulia again

[quote name='hyperdulia again' post='1404838' date='Oct 18 2007, 01:19 PM']The Talmud is NO LONGER the primary authority in Orthodox Judaism. The Shulchan Aruch (which for some has been superseded by the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch and other texts) is primary and definitive commentary on Rabbinic Tradition to most Orthodox Jews.[/quote]

There is an irony to this insofar as the Shulchan is a commentary on the Talmud...but it has nonetheless displaced it (in much the same way that Torah was displaced by the Talmud itself).