An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters of St. Paul

Laurentina1975

Laurentina1975

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 28 2006, 08:52 AM']Back when I started college, I looked into them because I was a journalism major (for a semester), and their work seemed to be the same kind of work I wanted to do. I was on their mailing list for the longest time, but I just didn't feel called to them.

Sr. Donna Jean is a sweetheart. I met her when I stayed for a summer mini-session in Steubenville. She (and a bunch of other Sisters from various orders) lived in the dorm and took classes.
[right][snapback]868508[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

jgirl, that is really cool. I see that you are from the Midwest....by any chance you from Illinois?...Chicago...? Just wondering.

What did you end up majoring in? Wait a minute....I remember, you are Jenny in a bottle on blogger right? I just checked your profile and I remember your blog, I loved it! Do you remember me? AWESOME! How are you....?...

Peace and may God Bless you.
In JMJ,
Lauren
:)

Edited by Laurentina1975

I'm a Jenny in a Bottle, indeed!

I live about an hour outside of St. Louis, but I have a place in Normal, IL, and I have spent quite a bit of time In Chicago because my sister goes to DePaul and I am friends with a lot of the Communion and Liberation people up there.

I ended up majoring in French and Theology, and I have my Masters in French literature.

We have Daughters of St. Paul in Missouri. They have days for people discerning from time to time. I don't know who the vocations director was I spoke with in 2000, but she was really nice, too.

Laurentina1975

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 28 2006, 10:26 AM']I'm a Jenny in a Bottle, indeed!

I live about an hour outside of St. Louis, but I have a place in Normal, IL, and I have spent quite a bit of time In Chicago because my sister goes to DePaul and I am friends with a lot of the Communion and Liberation people up there.

I ended up majoring in French and Theology, and I have my Masters in French literature.

We have Daughters of St. Paul in Missouri. They have days for people discerning from time to time. I don't know who the vocations director was I spoke with in 2000, but she was really nice, too.
[right][snapback]868521[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Jenny,

Thanks for your email and support. I appreciate it very much! :D:
If you are near DePaul, email me sometime, I live very close to there...and if you happen to be in Chicago February 16, 17 and/or 18th, the Catholic Festival of Faith is going on. I will be going on Saturday with a Daughter to help her at her booth! I can't wait, I am sure it will be a great experience!

In JMJ,
Lauren

Edited by Laurentina1975

AlterDominicus

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 28 2006, 07:52 AM']Sr. Donna Jean is a sweetheart. I met her when I stayed for a summer mini-session in Steubenville. She (and a bunch of other Sisters from various orders) lived in the dorm and took classes.
[right][snapback]868508[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats so awesome! Yeah on her blog: [url="http://sdjinitalia.blogspot.com/"]Sister Donna Jean In Italy![/url]

She just renewed her vows!!! :drool: :blush: :drool: :blush: :drool: :lol_roll: :lol_roll: :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
Laurentina1975

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Jan 24 2006, 10:38 PM']One of my really close friends dreamed about joining.  But the summer camps are all in boston, and she is in Los Angeles.  and she always had a tough time getting over there.  In fact it was near impossible.  And of course, her mom, and the rest of her family didnt want to help her out in any way.  So she has kind of given up based mostly on the fact that things dont seem to be working out, she decided to not think about entering any more.

Please pray for her, i really think she has a vocation.  I think she gave up, not under God's love and inspiration, but rather out of hopelessness.

SHALOM
[right][snapback]865268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that is a sad story. I haven't been keeping up with this thread and I started it! YIKES!

Anywhoo, I went to visit them last Friday and met w/Sr. Helena who is the cooolest of the coool. She was asking me lots of questions, so I don't know too much about them yet. I went back down to their awesome book center on Monday and she gave me some literature to read. So, as I read, I'll know more.

All I can really do is read it, sit with it and pray. I can visit with them too and see what is what. But if anything ever comes of it, I may feel compelled to visit Boston and see more.

There is something really cool about them, can't pinpoint it exactly. Also, I don't know them all that well. My first impressions have been nothing but peace-filled and joyful! Sr. Helena has a great sens of humor with an intellectual twist.

Yeah....so anywhoo.... :lol_roll:

daugher-of-Mary

woah. hang on. In the interest of vocation station peace and tranquility! ;) ...before this conversation goes any further, please go back and read the pinned thread the mods put up.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Feb 16 2006, 04:12 AM']woah. hang on. In the interest of vocation station peace and tranquility!  ;) ...before this conversation goes any further, please go back and read the pinned thread the mods put up.
[right][snapback]889040[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
daughter-of-mary is right. That doesn't mean, however, that Laurentina shouldn't tell us what she was hinting at if she wants to. We all need to be careful and charitable, but we also want to be able to share with one another what we feel and learn. Mayhaps Laurentina just doesn't feel called to the Daughter's of St. Paul for some reason. I think discussing that is probably appropriate. For example, Sr. Lauren visited the Daughters for many years but in the end didn't feel called there. She was called to a more contemplative life. She prefers a full habit. Etc. I think these things are helpful for others to know.

On the other hand... Sr. Soandso is a hypricrite or Sr. Youknowwho wears shorts under her habit that say 'Sexy' across her bottom probably wouldn't be helpful to others discerning and should remain one's personal secret.

Edited by OLAM Dad

Laurentina1975

[quote name='alicemary' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:54 PM']Spill your guts Lauren...what happened with the Daughters? We are anxious to hear!
[right][snapback]888953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wow, I missed the posts in here.
Nothing big, just miss the Franciscans is all.
I like their spirituality and maybe I don't know enough about Pauline spirituality. I've been raised by the Franciscans all my life, so I just feel so drawn to that spirituality.

Nothing big. The Daughters are a great group though. I am still going to visit and be involved in their various "goings on" they offer those in the Chicagoland area, like the Lenten Bible study and all.

I am so glad I visited though. It really made me see that I love the Franciscans and this is the first time I have made contact with any other groups outside of the Franciscans!

No worries! I still love the Daughters....!!!... :lol_roll:

• 2 weeks later...
Laurentina1975
:dance:
Sr. Helena called me this morning (she is so awesome)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think they are going to let me discern with them!
This is so good because I will be able to see if I am really called to live in a Franciscan community or to the Pauline spirituality...

Praised be Jesus!

:clapping: Edited by Laurentina1975