An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychological Testing

GonnaBeAPriest

GonnaBeAPriest

So in the next few weeks I am set to meet with the psychologist for the diocese as part of the seminarian application process. I know there is no way to necessarily prepare. However, I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for preparation. What should I expect during the session?

(I'm not "looking for the answers." I'm just feeling a little nervous, so anything to help calm the nerves is greatly appreciated.)

[quote name='GonnaBeAPriest' date='Jan 19 2006, 07:44 AM']So in the next few weeks I am set to meet with the psychologist for the diocese as part of the seminarian application process.  I know there is no way to necessarily prepare.  However, I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for preparation.  What should I expect during the session?

(I'm not "looking for the answers."  I'm just feeling a little nervous, so anything to help calm the nerves is greatly appreciated.)
[right][snapback]860809[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I actually just took mine a few weeks ago, in like two weeks I will be meeting with my Vocations Director to go over it. He said it was fine though so I know that much.

Anyways prepare to be asked anything and everything, about your family, why you want to be a priest, your relationship with differant people, if you have dated, hows the weather, sexual history, grades, motivations, people that have inspired you and a little more. To sum it up the psycologist will want to know everything he/she can possibly know about you to make a report and send to the diocese.

Although it is nerve-racking, it is ok when you start, and it becomes easier as you go. I wish you the best and I will pray for you.

Best wishes, if you need to ask anything feel free to :lol:

Welcome, gbap.

Don't volunteer more information then you have too. Answer the questions truthfully and honestly but don't allow yourself to go off on tangents.

Be yourself.

I've never done this for a seminary but I used to work with nuclear weapons in the Army and underwent a lot of psychological scrutiny.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Laurentina1975

+JMJ+

They may give you some sort of scantron psychological tests as well, like the MMPI and stuff. I took those before I went into the police academy and they were pretty easy, what those tests look for is consistency. Good luck and God Bless, Lord knows we need more good Priests!

Lauren

PS Be glad they don't make you take a lie detector test, those are nerve wracking. :blink: :smokey:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Jan 19 2006, 04:53 PM']+JMJ+

PS Be glad they don't make you take a lie detector test, those are nerve wracking. :blink:  :smokey:
[right][snapback]861270[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Not if you don't have anything to hide! :smokey:

[quote name='GonnaBeAPriest' date='Jan 19 2006, 06:44 AM'](I'm not "looking for the answers."  I'm just feeling a little nervous, so anything to help calm the nerves is greatly appreciated.)
[right][snapback]860809[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was a psych major and honestly there's not any real way to "fail" the test. Just breathe and answer truthfully...and if all else fails, whip out the rosary beads!
:bigpray:

Took my psych's before thanksgiving.

spent a few hours coloring little circles at random :wink:

Ok not quite at random, but was tempting. We took them with a small group, so had a running commentary going on "out there" questions.

Then met with the Psychyatrist, a Steubie Prof., who Father chose because he would give a real evaluation, based on what is need to be a good, holy priest.

Really not that stressful.

Peace and God Bless!

Chris

Laurentina1975

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Jan 19 2006, 06:49 PM']Not if you don't have anything to hide!  :smokey:
[right][snapback]861356[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:P:

Thanks, GonnaBeAPriest, for starting this thread. I'm taking my psych evals next month as part of my graduate studies. (And if I enter religious life in the next year, they'll be able to carry over for that, too.) I'm not too worried about the tests and all, but it's always nice to hear that there really isn't anything to stress about! :)

GonnaBeAPriest

Thanks all for great comments. I'm now scheduled for mid-February and will provide an update when completed. Others, continue to post as comfortable.

God Bless.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I would say be patient. I never expected it to be so long. It was not aggravating or frustrating, or annoying in any way. (i tend to be a very patient person).

The first thing was a very long fill in the bubble test. The questions are clear, and just be honest.

The second thing was the actual meeting with the psychologist. He asked questions. He also gave me problems to solve, and pictures to describe. I guess, how fun it is really depends on your psychologist.

I will still have the meeting with the psychologist and the formation director to discuss the results.

The Formation Director lets me know that this is not what determines my vocation. This is used, mostly to help me, and the community understand objectively my strengths and weeknesses. So in order that the community may challenge me in what areas to grow, but mostly to know how to form me.

But of course, there is the secondary function of rooting out the whackos.

SHALOM

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Jan 19 2006, 05:53 PM']They may give you some sort of scantron psychological tests as well, like the MMPI and stuff.
[right][snapback]861270[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Jan 21 2006, 11:06 AM']The first thing was a [b]very long[/b] fill in the bubble test. 
[right][snapback]862708[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I took my scantron tests earlier today (my actual meeting isn't until later this month), and MY ARM NEARLY FELL OFF!!!

:yawn:

ThyWillBeDone

Good Luck on the test, I remember being really nervous when I had to take them. They took along time and the big long multible choice fill in the circle part was very annoying but all in all it not that bad an experiance, just one step closer to the seminary. I am a seminarian now and have been for almost two years, but I still remember how nervous and exciting the whole application process was. You will be in my prayer
God Bless