An Old School Catholic Message Board

US Judges Back Assisted Suicide

Kismet

US judges back assisted suicide

Mr Roberts was overruled in his first case as chief justice
The US Supreme Court has upheld a law allowing doctors in the state of Oregon to help terminally ill patients die, in a defeat for the Bush administration.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4621328.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4621328.stm[/url]

PadreSantiago

bush hates us for our freedom, that must be why he tries so hard to take it away.

Edited by PadreSantiago

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:31 PM']bush hates us for our freedom, that must be why he tries so hard to take it away.
[right][snapback]859027[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Of course! He hates us all so much, he wants keep away our right to kill ourselves! :wacko:

Those Republicans want it to be illegal for me to exercise my constitutional right to put you out of your misery! Those Fascists!!

Don't worry, you can always exercise your freedom unassisted. Blowing your own brains out with a .44 still works well, I'm told. :)

Socrates - I would ask you to refrain from making light of suicide please.

Thank you ... back to tearing each other limb from limb.

[quote name='Azriel' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:15 PM']Socrates - I would ask you to refrain from making light of suicide please.
[right][snapback]859161[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
. . . as do those liberal judges who wish to declare it a "right."

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 17 2006, 04:38 PM']Of course!  He hates us all so much, he wants keep away our right to kill ourselves!  :wacko:

Blowing your own brains out with a .44 still works well, I'm told.  :)
[right][snapback]859098[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

...some Christian decorum, gentlemen....please...

I made this post to not to make a political point but to make a Christian one.

Don't put your trust in human leaders; no human being can save you. - Psalms 146:3

Give unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, give unto God the things that are God's" - Matthew 22:15-22

[quote name='Kismet' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:21 PM']...some Christian decorum, gentlemen....please...

I made this post to not to make a political point but to make a Christian one.

Don't put your trust in human leaders; no human being can save you. - Psalms 146:3

Give unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, give unto God the things that are God's" - Matthew 22:15-22
[right][snapback]859173[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So are you saying that politics is irrelevant to this topic, when it was politically-appointed judges that made this decision??

What is your point? That all human leaders are evil, and thus it doesn't matter who is elected to office or whom they appoint?

Should Christians avoid politics altogether, or should we strive to get good people in positions of leadership?

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:30 PM']So are you saying that politics is irrelevant to this topic, when it was politically-appointed judges that made this decision??

What is your point?  That all human leaders are evil, and thus it doesn't matter who is elected to office or whom they appoint?

Should Christians avoid politics altogether, or should we strive to get good people in positions of leadership?
[right][snapback]859186[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

nope...just saying that we should act like Christians...as novel an idea as that might sound...

nevermind. I looked at the article.

6-3 doesn't look good. Though i think it was more about the way the case was brought and for what reason than the actual facts themselves.

Pennypacker11

As the previous poster said, the case was 6-3, with Roberts, Scalia, and Thomas dissenting. While I believe that Scalia's dissent (Thomas also wrote one) was more logical than the majority's opinion, the media (liberal and conservative) misrepresents the case when they say that the court back assisted suicide [i]in this case[/i].

What was at hand here was federal vs. state jurisdiction; namely, given the federal act in 1971 that gives the attorney general the power to regulate drugs under the interstate commerce statute and the strict perameters of that act, was Ashcroft going beyond his power in threatening to revoke the license and prosecute doctors who perform this act in Oregon.

While I believe that he does have the power under the act (Scalia argues this quite persuasively), in the end this was a highly technical issue, not a broad decision about assisted suicide. I would highly recommend going to the Supreme Court website and looking at the decision; at the very least, one should read the syllabus at the beginning which gives a brief synopsis of the case and the decision.

[quote name='Azriel' date='Jan 17 2006, 07:15 PM']Socrates - I would ask you to refrain from making light of suicide please.

Thank you ... back to tearing each other limb from limb.
[right][snapback]859161[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
wow - if don’t take the comment by Socrates to task, at all
... but Padre Santiago’s stupid comment "bush hates us for our freedom"
Socrates made his comment as a response based on Padre's stupid post - and i agree with him
"bush hates us for our freedom" i hate this because i see this logic emerging from liberalism that is blaming democracy and making our enemies the victims

[img]http://www.september11news.com/TVScreenCNNBreakingNews.jpg[/img]
they hit this

they missed this... :cool:
[img]http://norman.walsh.name/2000/05/scaled/liberty.jpg[/img]