An Old School Catholic Message Board

I may have killed a vocation

catholicinsd

Ok story time. So last July My friend and I were at Sonshine's Tent City. His campsite was right to a bunch of guys going into the Semenairy. We started talking to two of them and during the conversasion I asked one "So, after your ordination will your parents call you Father?" After I asked that one got rather mad went went back into his tent, muttering "My father won't give a (obscene)." Then the other explained that his father was non-practicing. He seemed really mad, and I seem just scared he may want to drop out because of that. Yeah. :sadder:

Don't worry about it. He has personal issues he needs to deal with. Nothing you said was offensive. God will work with him.

photosynthesis

if he has an authentic religious vocation, nothing will be able to quench his desire to give his life entirely for God. Nothing will be able to keep him away from the seminary.

You're not the non-practicing father. You did nothing to "destroy" this man's vocation, you only asked an honest question.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Jan 15 2006, 09:21 PM']Don't worry about it. He has personal issues he needs to deal with. Nothing you said was offensive. God will work with him.
[right][snapback]857171[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's true, but I ever found that he'd drop out, I don't think I ever forgive myself.

catholicinsd, let not your heart be troubled. Vocations come from God. No one can create or destroy somebody else's vocation. We can only encourage and discourage, nothing more. You didn't say anything discouraging to this young man.

Pax et bonum.

Michael

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 15 2006, 09:28 PM']catholicinsd, let not your heart be troubled.  Vocations come from God.  No one can create or destroy somebody else's vocation.  We can only encourage and discourage, nothing more.  You didn't say anything discouraging to this young man.

Pax et bonum.

Michael
[right][snapback]857176[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think I definatly discouraged it.

Anybody know any semenairians from St. Paul's in St Paul, MN, that fit what I'm talking about?

Edited by catholicinsd

homeschoolmom

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you just caught him at a bad moment. I know one seminarian who's whole family is against his ordination. It's not stopping him, though. It's a call from God. God doesn't let people go that easily.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 15 2006, 11:04 PM']I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you just caught him at a bad moment. I know one seminarian who's whole family is against his ordination. It's not stopping him, though. It's a call from God. God doesn't let people go that easily.
[right][snapback]857280[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you know if he went to Sonshine?

homeschoolmom

No. The person that I'm thinking of doesn't go to sem in St. Paul, sorry. However, I still wouldn't worry about it. It isn't your culpabiltiy even if he did leave seminary. It's really between him and God.

PS Sonshine's a blast. ;)

homeschoolmom

If you're still concerned, you could always pray for him and for all of our seminarians-- I'm sure they all struggle with something or other throughout their seminary years.

All you did was ask an honest question. They sound lke they have issues. Let it go, give it to God, and don't worry about it.

Your guilty feelings serve no purpose and neither does beating yourself up over a remark. Ave Maria's advice is sound, let go of it. Prayer is the only answer, turn your negative guilt into positive thoughts of prayers for all seeking out their vocation in life.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I can relate to this seminarian you are talking about. I have had a real hard time getting along with my dad through life. And when i got into my faith, it didnt make things easier.

In some ways it became harder. All of sudden he believed that i thought i was better or holier. Even after he had a conversion experience, and was renewed in God.

As i began to mature in my relationship with God, i could see how he had scars in his heart, scars that i had as well. I mean, every boy needs to learn to become a man from his father. When the father fails to be a man, his family will fail. It is more complicated than that. But God healed me of the scars.

This is a real complicated issue. And i can tell you, you are adding no pain by asking an honest question. He was just honest with what was in his heart.

Besides, there can be a million reasons for him to leave his vocation that have NOTHING to do with you. STOP BEING SO SELFISH, and fess up to the mercy of God, and know that GOD is bigger than your silly imperfect mistakes!

SHALOM

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of people who follow there vocation againist their parent's wishes. This is, in my opionion, one reason for the lack of vocations in the Western world.