An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope and heresy

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 15 2006, 06:56 PM']Because i would like to be able to respond to the answer becauseĀ  this subject confuses me, and i would like to see if any non-church scholar had anything to add.

I am not a liar.

i really don't understand why you have to question my actions and respond rudely to my question. With all due respect i think that you need to be more charitable. Several people have mentioned it just today.
i am still confused about this question:

I know that if a pope who was a heretic Became Pope, and was excommunicated wouldn't that make him a false pope? I read that somewhere.
[right][snapback]857046[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not sure someone who has been excommunicated by the Church 1st can then later become Pope. If a person is truly labled a heretic they are excommunicated, :. no one can elect them Pope. I don't think its even possible for someone to be a deemed a heretic, excommunicated formally, and then be elected Pope.

Your assuming you know this heretic better than the Church knows them. But you have to remember that we don't have the power to call some a heretic. Its all in the Church's hands not ours.

Sam, if you're interested, you should read the Catholic Encyclopedia on Pope Honorius I, who was probably the closest to ever being considered a heretical Pope:

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07452b.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07452b.htm[/url]

It's long, but very informative!

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 15 2006, 07:17 PM']at one time there were three popes.
[right][snapback]857125[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There can never be more than one pope. I posted something comprehensive regarding the great western schism and the anti-popes of that era a year or two ago.. I'll see if I can find it so I can be lazy and do some copy/paste. :)

L_D I think [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=9236&hl=pope"]This[/url] is what you are looking for...oh the good times.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Jan 17 2006, 01:05 PM']L_D I think [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=9236&hl=pope"]This[/url]Ā  is what you are looking for...oh the good times.
[right][snapback]858864[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling:

I totally remember that thread!! :sweat:

I wonder what the lumberjack has been up to? I really liked that guy.. :(

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

so during the avigon Papacy were the avigon popes all anti-popes?

what about the time when three people claimed the seat of Peter?

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:40 PM']so during the avigon Papacy were the avigon popes all anti-popes?

what about the time when three people claimed the seat of Peter?
[right][snapback]859194[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Only one was the true Pope. The other two were anti-Popes.

There can only be one Pope at a time.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:44 PM']Only one was the true Pope.Ā  The other two were anti-Popes.

There can only be one Pope at a time.
[right][snapback]859197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah, and there was a time when it was unclear which one was the actual pope, but eventually the cardinals got together and figured it out. Prior to that it really was debatable which is a scary thought.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 17 2006, 09:09 PM']yeah, and there was a time when it was unclear which one was the actual pope, but eventually the cardinals got together and figured it out. Prior to that it really was debatable which is a scary thought.
[right][snapback]859289[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The world is a different place now. It would be hard to imagine something similar happending in the age of instant communication and news reporting.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 15 2006, 07:50 PM']And......?

Why didn't you just post it on the Q&A then, if you don't want a debate on the debate board........ummmm......
[right][snapback]857041[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why Cam, you are sounding like me. :P: :D: To the point... there will always be someone who misunderstands.

Extra,
Maybe a question should be "Since they were not Pope, does it matter?".

Once they are Pope, when addressing from the Chair of Peter, the Church they are infallible. If they did teach heresy, I doubt that they would be considered to be elected for Pope. Now, they might hold a particular personal belief that differs from official teaching, but they could not teach heresy once Pope. God guides them.

You will hear some anti-Catholics talk about "bad" popes and trying to use that as a reason to prove the Catholic Church wrong... but they forget about Judas. God picks the Pope just as God picked Judas... bad people will be used for God's plan, just as Judas was.

There have been bad popes, but they never taught anything heretical and never made Excathedra Statements (infallible). [url="http://www.NewAdvent.org"]http://www.NewAdvent.org[/url] is a great resource for studying this topic.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Extra,
I tried to PM you but it won't send so I'll post this here since you mention Peter...

I'm curious to what point you are making with your signature...

When Dominic was in Rome, seeking authorization for his order from the Pope, the Pope gave him a tour of the treasures of the Vatican, and remarked complacently (referring to Acts 3:6), "Peter can no longer say, 'Silver and gold have I none.'" Dominic turned and looked straight at the Pope, and said, "No, and neither can he say, 'Rise and walk.'"

God Bless,
max, aka ironmonk