An Old School Catholic Message Board

Action against Iran...

Myles Domini

Is any manner of action to halt Iran's nuclear programme justified?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Iranian president wins Syrian support on atomic row
By Rasha Elass

DAMASCUS (Reuters) - Syria said on Thursday Iran had a right to acquire nuclear technology for peaceful means and demanded Israel be stripped of its suspected nuclear arsenal.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad held talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad at the start of a two-day visit to Damascus, his first since he took office in August.

Syria and Iran both risk showdowns with the U.N. Security Council -- Damascus over a U.N. inquiry into the murder of a Lebanese ex-prime minister and Tehran over its nuclear plans.

"We support the right of Iran and any state in the world to acquire peaceful technology," Assad told a joint news conference after the talks. "Countries who oppose this gave no convincing reason, regardless of whether it is legitimate or not."

[url="http://www.lebaneselobby.org/News__index/news%202006/01%2018%2006%20Iranian%20president%20wins%20Syrian%20support%20on%20atomic%20row.htm"]http://www.lebaneselobby.org/News__index/n...tomic%20row.htm[/url]

How convenient, an article relating to the two countries we were talking about. lol

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Jan 17 2006, 11:47 PM']i got this quote from a story today off of cnn, this is what the U.S. State Department counterterrorism coordinator had to say about nuclear attacks:

"It is not just the nuclear threat that bothers me," he was quoted as saying. "I think, if anything, the biological threat is going to grow."

"As catastrophic as a nuclear attack would be, it would be self-contained."
They don't even care about nukes cause you know it's contained, no problem!  Forget those myths about 100,000 dead in an instant and nuclear radiation taking months and years to slowly kill those not fortunante enough to be close to the blast.  Not to mention the fact a nuclear attack could set off a chain of events that could end the entire world as we know it.

My point being that I can already see another false pretense being made up so we can goto a war for oil....AGAIN!  And we haven't even finished the first one yet!
[right][snapback]859410[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i love this - for one thing because it brings out the people who were the ones that screamed at Reagan for saying "tear down this wall"
these are the same minds who claimed that democracy would not work in the former empire of Japan, and complained that we should not have attacked Germany because they never attacked the USA

they are on the wrong side of history every time

[quote name='Mercy me' date='Jan 18 2006, 10:55 PM']Just a couple of thoughts

1. Time is not on our side when it comes to dealing with Iran. 

2. Iran is not cooperating with the IAEA.

3. It is not about oil but about recognizing evil when we see it.  We failed to recognize it in Hitler.

Just a reminder.  The president of Iran.  You know the one sho has been out there threatening Israel.  According to the U.S. hostages who were held for 444 day in 1978-79 when "students" seized the U.S. Embassey in Tehran, the president of Iran was the leader of the students.  this is the reason for the debate on whether the president of Iran would be granted a visa to attend the opening of the U.N. session.  Let's remember who we are dealing with.
[right][snapback]860577[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
True, that!

[quote name='musturde' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:36 PM']Very true, the Middle East [i](and most of the world)[/i] hates America  because we do whatever we please and interfere a lot in foreign countries. I'd say [i]using peaceful means[/i] would be best at first. Then they can enforce going into Iran if they don't listen to America.
[right][snapback]860507[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:clap: That is so true.

Aside from that, I don't know. War is always so difficult. OK, yes, Hitler was terrible and everyone ignored him at first, but [i]look around the rest of the world as well![/i]

A passion of mine is human rights, I respect human life from conception to a natural death, and the in-between bit. But also, I've been involved in some interesting things that [i]do not get media coverage.[/i]

Do you know whats going on in Uganda? Zimbabwe? the Sudan? Cambodia? Myanmar? Bangladesh? Yemen? Indonesia? Timor?! [u]Guantanamo Bay?![/u] (do you even know where these places are?!)

All over the world, people are hurting and dying under horrific human rights abuses. And NO ONE CARES! Well, ok, I do......and some aid workers do...but its not enough!

Yes! Iran is presently a very sticky situation, I'm not saying that it is unimportant....but could someone please remind me WHY America needs to intervenein Iran, like they did in Iraq? and Afghanistan?

And when is the slaughter of innocent lives ok? What makes it acceptable to destory these peoples lives when its their government thats the problem?

I just don't get it. I really don't. I get so depressed, you know. I cannot make a difference in these broken lives. Actually, I can pray!!! Lets just all pray. Prayer will make more of a difference than dropping bombs or raping and pillaging.........

Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.

why do i think that the anti-Iran talk will be the same as the anti-Iraq and anti-Afghanistan talk?
Democracy is spreading ... the dissenter's talk is less and less meaningful