An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ecumenicism

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i asked the question about wether going to protestant services was acceptable. I don't think anyone here is relegiously indifferent, least of all a church Militant as yourself.

God Bless,

Sam

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:10 PM']i asked the question about wether going to protestant services was acceptable. I don't think anyone here is relegiously indifferent, least of all a church Militant as yourself.

God Bless,

Sam
[right][snapback]853041[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What would make such attendance indifferentist is if one went to them in as a replacement for Catholic services as if they were equal. However I don't think it is indifferentist to attend, acknowledging the infinite superiority of the Mass but still recognizing the heartfelt desire of the protestants to worship the one true God. A law he implanted on their hearts (romans 2:15). As said before one must be careful not to participate in any kind of an errant prayer they might be engaged in. When I went to services with my wife before she became Catholic I would only sing if I knew the song and knew it was not contrary to Catholic teaching. I would not say amen if I did not agree with the prayer. Which in all honesty did not happen often.

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:16 PM']  When I went to services with my wife before she became Catholic I would only sing if I knew the song and knew it was not contrary to Catholic teaching.  I would not say amen if I did not agree with the prayer.  Which in all honesty did not happen often.
[right][snapback]853051[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I hope that I did not come off as condeming all attendance at Protestant services. I simply meant that in my situation I do not feel that it is needed or appropriate for me to. I recongize that there are legitimate reasons to attend occasionally.

Edited by Paphnutius

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:18 PM']I hope that I did not come off as condeming all attendance at Protestant services. I simply meant that in my situation I do not feel that it is needed or appropriate for me to. I recongize that there are legitimate reasons to attend occasionally.
[right][snapback]853053[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would not recommend it as a normal weekly practice either by any means. Nor would I recommend it at all for anyone who does not know there faith well (not saying you don't as from what I can see you do). Going with her helped open her up to Catholicism. Under most circumstances there is little reason to go to Protestant services. I know a few Catholics who attend regularly and would have to say they generally fall in to the indifferentist category and don't have a true appreciation for the Mass. Thus they look to protestant services to fill "gaps" in their spirituality. The dangers of looking elsewhere for deep spriituality are great.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:19 PM']i think you should provide the definition.
[right][snapback]853146[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I would encourage you to put it in your own words for practice sake. Seriously. The more you work with the material and try to apply the more familiar you will become with it.

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Jan 11 2006, 04:30 PM']I would encourage you to put it in your own words for practice sake. Seriously. The more you work with the material and try to apply the more familiar you will become with it.
[right][snapback]853154[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

See, I don't think he really knows what the definition would be (no offense intended EENS), so by starting out with a definition I provide, we might be able to avoid some unnecessary confusion.

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:34 PM']See, I don't think he really knows what the definition would be (no offense intended EENS), so by starting out with a definition I provide, we might be able to avoid some unnecessary confusion.
[right][snapback]853162[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Understandable. I will stand aside and watch the pedagogue fireworks fly. :smokey:

ok.

Ecumenicism is Peter casting his net. Ecumencism is the Father running out to meet the Prodigal son. When Practiced correctly it leads to understanding the differences between faiths, so that way we can understand how to convert these People better, and clearing up misconcpetions about Catholicism. I am still not so sure about Praying with these people. What if i want to pray to the Immaculate virgin mary? etc. Focusing on common ground may also lead to indifferntism, and pluralism. I still have no idea.

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:38 PM'] Focusing on common ground may also lead to indifferntism, and pluralism. I still have no idea.
[right][snapback]853170[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Any kind of contact with the world outside of Catholicism has various and sundry dangers. We must be aware of them going in. This does not mean we do not have contact with the world.

Interestingly enough the early Christians practiced their faith in Jewish synagogues which is where the scriptures were read and preached.

Acts
[8] And he entered the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, arguing and pleading about the kingdom of God;

Acts.22
[19] And I said, `Lord, they themselves know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in thee.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:52 PM']isn't that just because we had no churches?
[right][snapback]853197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Apparently there was exchanges between the Christians and Jews. It should be noted in scripture that it was not the choice of the Christians to no longer attend synagogues but they were expelled by the Jews.

Edited by thessalonian