An Old School Catholic Message Board

God should tell people more stuff

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

God should tell us more stuff. How come he just dosen't Say I am GOd this way is right and this is wrong..... Do this and not that.

I wish he would do that.....

Guest JeffCR07

Because He doesn't just want us to [i]do[/i] the law, He wants us to [i]know[/i] the Law in the semitic sense of the word. God wants us and his Law to become one, as a husband and wife become one. That can never happen if the Law is simply dictated to us from on high and blindly followed.

We need to attend to His Law with our rational capacities.

What a pesky gift that free will is. God gave us the law and we did not get it. So, he became one of us and explained it more clearly. We still did not get it and we all know what happened. But the lesson that He taught is still with us. I like to think of it as life's little instruction book. Gotta love Him!

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 10 2006, 06:53 PM']God should tell us more stuff. How come he just dosen't Say I am GOd this way is right and this is wrong..... Do this and not that.

[right][snapback]852153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I certainly understand the sentiment...

I've come to the conclusion that, often, if I'm told to do something as a rule, the instinctual reaction is rebellion. It often seems arbitrary if you don't know why. That why doesn't have to be a logical xyz thing, though. Sometimes the best way to learn is to discover for yourself. Also, if He told us directly everything to do, then where is the courage in that? If a child is to grow to be a functional adult, he must learn to stand on his own feet. Caritas is a mark of spiritual adulthood. If we were told everything, it wouldn't give caritas room to grow. (Boy, do I sound like I should be listening to my own advice!)

There are two main elements of the Church: the teachings, and the leading aka doctrine and pastoring. Both are motivated by the love of God, and they address different parts of our beings. Both are intimately related. I often forget that fact...

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 11 2006, 12:53 AM']God should tell us more stuff. How come he just dosen't Say I am GOd this way is right and this is wrong..... Do this and not that.

[/quote]

:scratchhead:

Doesn't He do that constantly through the Church? :huh:

From my perspective that would be nice as well. But there is a problem. God wants us to obey him out of love. If he just dictated what everyone did and what was true it would be like living in Iraq 10 years ago being in fear all the time of screwing up. God instead wishes for us to submit to him out of love and he does not want to bring us to this love in violatoin of our will. In Luke 7 there is the story of Simon whom the Lord gives the lesson about the woman who washed Jesus feet with her tears. She had been a great sinner and was forgiven.
Jesus says of simon:

[44] Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house, you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
[45] You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.
[46] You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
[47] Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."
[48] And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
[49] Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, "Who is this, who even forgives sins?"
[50] And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Get that. God allows sin and disobediance because in the end it will bring about a deeper love for him. Oh happy fault the Church says at easter. Not because sin is good but God brings good out of it. A deeper love for him and our fellow man. God has told us what he wants. He allows our free will to disobey for the eventual greater good.

Blessings

Edited by thessalonian

Because he wants you to choose to follow him freely in humbleness, submission, and love.

Trust in the Magisterium of the Church which is guided by the Holy Spirit. If they promulgate something, take it as coming from Christ.

If you want some help with that check John 16:20 (or so)

There is a verse that Christ says about how he has more to reveal once the Holy Spirit has come. Since the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles, it woudl be revealed through them, or the Magisterium.

KnightofChrist

"God should tell us more stuff. How come he just dosen't Say I am GOd this way is right and this is wrong..... Do this and not that.
I wish he would do that..... "

If God were to do that then we would be nothing more to Him than mindless robots. I also believe if people prayed more offend threw prayer God would indeed "tell" us more. How will God tell us anything if we do not stop ask and listen?

Well good night all! And God Bless!

I'm going go talk with God aka pray!

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 10 2006, 08:53 PM']God should tell us more stuff. How come he just dosen't Say I am GOd this way is right and this is wrong..... Do this and not that.

[/quote]
he spent 33 years doing that - and some of that time was spent bleeding to death while hanging from a tree

God the Father

[quote name='Mercy me' date='Jan 10 2006, 10:52 PM']God gave us the law and we did not get it.  So, he became one of us and explained it more clearly.  We still did not get it....
[right][snapback]852338[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

*sigh*....mortals, mortals, mortals.

Ora et Labora

I believe it is because he wants us to find out some things for ourselves to show him that we really do want to learn to know him.

"We were put on this earth to know, love and serve the Lord." Anyways, isnt it more interesting if you find it out yourself?