An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it possible for a True Catholic to be a Liberal

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 11 2006, 11:47 AM']If government doesn't provide a baseline of support for the poor, who should do it? Should we rely entirely on private donations and volunteers to care for the needs of poor?
[right][snapback]852874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with having the government do it.

I wonder how, if we can't rely on individuals, we can rely on a government that is more set on getting through the next election than most other things anymore.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:07 PM']Agreed, but the question is, should the amount of welfare be supported?

There are so many who are on welfare who shouldn't be.  Those who are only on it because they're lazy and don't want to get off their butts.  If these people would get off their butts and work, taxes would be lower, because there wouldn't be as much welfare to pay out of our paychecks.  Social Security is another screw-up.  Sorry, I'd rather be conservative and say things as they are concerning welfare and SS than be a liberal.

There's too many lazy bums on welfare, plain and simple.
[right][snapback]852892[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wow, I guess I should have told all our teen moms who got help that. I'm sure Shari would have liked to know that she was lazy. She had three kids she was raising by herself and really tried to find work. But it's kinda hard to do that when you don't have good child care. Or reliable transportation. Or weren't able to finish high school because you had babies.

I would only say that the point of the state is to secure the means necessary for happiness for its citizens. Does this mean that the gov't should spend X amount on welfare? Not necessarily, but it is the state's duty to supply the means needed for its citizens. In some cases, I believe, this would mandate a welfare system.

You do have a valid point about corruption in the state. We cannot trust those in power for power corrupts, but abosolute power corrupts absolutly. We, however, seem to have no choice but to entrust some with power. It is, therefore, our duty as citizens to hold the state accountable and to elect officials that we have good reason to place trust in.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 11 2006, 11:14 AM']Wow, I guess I should have told all our teen moms who got help that. I'm sure Shari would have liked to know that she was lazy. She had three kids she was raising by herself and really tried to find work. But it's kinda hard to do that when you don't have good child care. Or reliable transportation. Or weren't able to finish high school because you had babies.
[right][snapback]852900[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Interesting...you have taken my post and not read it correctly. I did not say all, I said many, and I said too many. Many and too many do not equal all.

As for teen moms, I worked with a teen mom who relied on her coworkers for transportation and found adequate child care for her child. Please do not put words into my mouth. Thank you.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Plus, whatever happened to every action has a reaction, or every choice has its consequence. No one made them have intercourse and no one made them pregnant but themselves. Sorry, very little sympathy is going to be found here.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:19 PM']Interesting...you have taken my post and not read it correctly.  I did not say all, I said many, and I said too many.  Many and too many do not equal all.

As for teen moms, I worked with a teen mom who relied on her coworkers for transportation and found adequate child care for her child.  Please do not put words into my mouth.  Thank you.
[right][snapback]852904[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So where would you draw the line, then? Who have you met on welfare that you think shouldn't be getting the help? And who should make that determination?

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:20 PM']Plus, whatever happened to every action has a reaction, or every choice has its consequence.  No one made them have intercourse and no one made them pregnant but themselves.  Sorry, very little sympathy is going to be found here.
[right][snapback]852906[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I've never met anyone who became pregnant all on their own.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:28 PM']A society is defined by how it cares for its weakest members
[right][snapback]852962[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes. Didn't someone famous say that? I mean besides you? I was looking for that quote.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Who have I met? Hmm...former inlaws who are more than capable to work. Those who use their welfare money to buy lotto tickets. I used to work the lotto machine at a local home-town grocery store. About 60-70% of the people buying lotto were the ones on welfare. They had absolutely wrong with them.

You're right. No one gets pregnant on their own. It takes two to tango. If the girl's boyfriend takes off, it was still her choice. Face it, much of the people on welfare are more than capable to work. The reason why people like myself are unable to get financial aid for medical bills when they need it is because they government is wasting money on people who won't help themselves. People like myself are hard-working people who make just above poverty levels, therefore the government won't help with their bills because they're too busy shoveling money to people who are sitting on their butts watching tv and eating bon-bons after going to their local grocery store to buy $50-$100 in lotto tickets.

If a young teen mother is working full-time to support her and her child, then I say more power to them. But if they're going to use the excuse of not being able to get transportation or no child care, sorry, no sympathy. There's help out there to those who are willing to work hard to get it.

Inactive Josh

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 11 2006, 07:30 PM']
If a young teen mother is working full-time to support her and her child, then I say more power to them.  But if they're going to use the excuse of not being able to get transportation or no child care, sorry, no sympathy.  There's help out there to those who are willing to work hard to get it.
[right][snapback]852969[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And, would you believe this to be the correct Christian response?

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:30 PM']Who have I met?  Hmm...former inlaws who are more than capable to work.  Those who use their welfare money to buy lotto tickets. I used to work the lotto machine at a local home-town grocery store.  About 60-70% of the people buying lotto were the ones on welfare.  They had absolutely wrong with them.

You're right.  No one gets pregnant on their own.  It takes two to tango.  If the girl's boyfriend takes off, it was still her choice.  Face it, much of the people on welfare are more than capable to work.  The reason why people like myself are unable to get financial aid for medical bills when they need it is because they government is wasting money on people who won't help themselves.  People like myself are hard-working people who make just above poverty levels, therefore the government won't help with their bills because they're too busy shoveling money to people who are sitting on their butts watching tv and eating bon-bons after going to their local grocery store to buy $50-$100 in lotto tickets.

If a young teen mother is working full-time to support her and her child, then I say more power to them.  But if they're going to use the excuse of not being able to get transportation or no child care, sorry, no sympathy.  There's help out there to those who are willing to work hard to get it.
[right][snapback]852969[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't know why you'd have a problem with people on welfare playing the lottery. It's like a refund to the state.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:30 PM']Yes. Didn't someone famous say that? I mean besides you? I was looking for that quote.
[right][snapback]852966[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It may have been this guy

[img]http://www.iswatch.net/Images/ELMO.JPG[/img]

On the other hand, I dunno who said it. I doubt that I was the first.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Josh' date='Jan 11 2006, 12:32 PM']And, would you believe this to be the correct Christian response?
[right][snapback]852970[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Would the correct Christian response be to reward those who are lazy with means of a 'fruitful' life?

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 11 2006, 12:35 PM']I don't know why you'd have a problem with people on welfare playing the lottery. It's like a refund to the state.
[right][snapback]852973[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why do I have a problem with it? Simply, they are not working towards earning money, they are trying to get money the easy way. And the money they spend on lotto, if they're going to waste it, spend it on food for the family, not on frivilous things.