An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it possible for a True Catholic to be a Liberal

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 10 2006, 03:49 PM']And the popular definition would be what?
[right][snapback]851886[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hillary Clinton

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 10 2006, 03:49 PM']And the popular definition would be what?
[/quote]
One who takes the cause of liberty and individualism as a sort of replacement for God...similar to some of the mindsets of the Constitutional Framers, who seem largely to have seen their actions as our forefathers as supporting a sort of new utopia...the whole situation reminds me of the Tower of Babel.

I have been called a liberal before.

Who cares? Call me what you want. Just call me Catholic.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Jan 10 2006, 04:54 PM']Simply, those against Bush who promote a culture of Death?
[right][snapback]851893[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm no fan of Bush, but I'm also no promoter of a culture of Death.

Why wasn't this posted in the Debate Table? It's clearly going in that direction and should be moved.

I think you can be liberal in your economic opinions, and think that the wetlands ought to be preserved and that the government should subsidize healthcare and be an orthodox Catholic, but of course you can't support abortion or euthanasia or contraception and be an orthodox Catholic. Federal subsidizing of healthcare and protection of the environment are of course morally neutral things in and of themselves, though they can be abused.

economically "liberal" as in "the government should step in to prevent a monopoly in the X industry", sure
morally "liberal" as in "if it feels good it can't be wrong", no

I don't like Bush, in fact... I don't really like beer at all. :P:

[quote name='Tata126' date='Jan 10 2006, 05:09 PM']but of course you can't support abortion or euthanasia or contraception and be an orthodox Catholic.  [right][snapback]851905[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And, of course, there are plenty of political "conservatives" who support abortion and euthanasia in some form, and who use contraception in their private lives: (indeed, many well-meaning Protestant Christians use contraception).

[/quote]

Religious or secular? ;)